Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 2/14/2019 (TPiR Season 47 Valentine's Day Special)  (Read 12579 times)

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 2/14/2019 (TPiR Season 47 Valentine's Day Special)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 12:38:14 AM »
When I first heard the description of what was going to happen, I was worried, but this turned into a great show and a format that should be brought back. Since I'm only a casual watcher now, I hadn't seen the new Double Prices, but I think they did a great job sprucing it up. Hot Seat is a great game, although from what I've seen, it seems that everyone wants to gamble, like in Pay the Rent. Great episode, and I'm glad I checked it out.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
Re: TPiR Recap - 2/14/2019 (TPiR Season 47 Valentine's Day Special)
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 05:40:42 PM »
Okay, I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but I've just gotten around to watching this episode, and there's a couple things in this discussion that need to be set straight:

Yeah the one car game thing (as in one PG tops for a car) was more expected than not until the mid-80s.  But I can't even recall of the top of my head when they would do so without a cash game in the same show or when they would offer a boat/motor home in the other half (usually Golden Road)

This isn't accurate at all.  Two car games has always been the norm right since the start of the hour format; the only exception was that in the early years of having cash games in the rotation, one of them would sometimes be played in a half instead of a car game.  Playing one car game and zero cash games is not a thing that was ever done.

Also, playing Golden Road for boats and motorhomes was entirely a function of it being Golden Road.  It counted as the car for the first half, pure and simple.

It has been almost 40 years since the last time only [one] car game was played on the show.

This isn't even close to being right.  I know of shows as late as 1984 that only have one car game.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.