Front Office > The Front Office

Is it time to give HYO another try?

<< < (4/12) > >>

PatrickRox80:
Having hosted net game shows for five years on another forum, I would be open to HYOs here again. Heck, I haven't hosted since Barker was still on the show.

I believe the same protocol we've always had should be enforced, such as a good portion of your posts in say The Talk is Right or the Recap section. If someone's abusing the HYO section for posts, introduce a probationary period to enforce talking about the actual show. Depending on how much interest we get, we should start again with the two-host limit. With the discretion of the mods, maybe they could give a third to a more seasoned host.

As far as deadlines, I'm not a fan of anything less than 24 hours due to many of us on here working or attending school or college. It shouldn't be a problem now with summer but it's something to consider when school starts again.

ThomHuge:

--- Quote from: Teddy on June 05, 2019, 09:41:50 PM ---Even after 25 shows, I still have the hosting itch...

--- End quote ---

This is something that I think needs to be addressed too. No matter how you slice it, 25 is a big number, and probably higher than average.

I'm not a fan of a lifetime cap, but I do think that once you reach a certain number of shows, there needs to be a longer waiting period before you can host again, in order to give others a chance. It's the same philosophy as a waiting period between shows--others need to have their chance.

EDIT: gamesurf said it better than me.

--- Quote from: gamesurf ---It would help discourage people from hosting, just for the sake of hosting. Friendly competition breeds innovation.

--- End quote ---

I look at it this way: if I've never hosted a show, but Teddy's hosted 25, and I put my name in but he gets the green light for his show...how exactly is that fair? He's done it enough, and I've never done it, so I deserve my shot too.

ThomHuge:

--- Quote from: gamesurf on June 05, 2019, 09:45:56 PM ---Likewise, if a prospective contestant frequently misses deadlines, or never leaves the HYO section, or only post just to post, there's nothing wrong with a host choosing to calling them down later in the show or not at all. It's their show, after all.

--- End quote ---

Emphasis mine. I think these same criteria should apply to hosts too. Hosts need to contribute to the site in a constructive way, and if anything the bar should be higher--if a user frequently shows up in the recap threads, for example, and only ever states the obvious (things like "wow, if so-and-so had only done this, they'd have won that!" or "no cars were won today" that anyone could see for themselves just by reading the recap), it's tantamount to posting just to post.

Teddy:

--- Quote from: ThomHuge on June 05, 2019, 10:07:24 PM ---This is something that I think needs to be addressed too. No matter how you slice it, 25 is a big number, and probably higher than average.

I'm not a fan of a lifetime cap, but I do think that once you reach a certain number of shows, there needs to be a longer waiting period before you can host again, in order to give others a chance. It's the same philosophy as a waiting period between shows--others need to have their chance.

I look at it this way: if I've never hosted a show, but Teddy's hosted 25, and I put my name in but he gets the green light for his show...how exactly is that fair? He's done it enough, and I've never done it, so I deserve my shot too.

--- End quote ---
I agree with your assessment; I would like as many new hosts to get their shot as they possibly can. I remember HYO hosts retiring after a set number of shows, like BRB_TheFireball did at the end of his 16th episode. I feel that hosts should be able to do as many shows as they can, and then retire on their own free will instead of being forced into it.

ThomHuge:
If you want to participate, then that's great. That said...first we have this...

--- Quote from: Teddy on June 05, 2019, 10:14:55 PM ---I agree with your assessment; I would like as many new hosts to get their shot as they possibly can. I remember HYO hosts retiring after a set number of shows, like BRB_TheFireball did at the end of his 16th episode. I feel that hosts should be able to do as many shows as they can, and then retire on their own free will instead of being forced into it.

--- End quote ---

And then, we have this...

--- Quote from: Teddy on June 05, 2019, 09:41:50 PM ---I would love to see the HYO section return so I can continue my series.

[snip]

Even after 25 shows, I still have the hosting itch.

--- End quote ---

The discussion isn't about bringing back HYO so you can continue your series. It's possible return is to give everyone a chance to have a turn, and it doesn't sound like you really get that. So if you agree with my assessment, my question is at what point is enough enough and it becomes appropriate that you should retire of your own free will?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version