Author Topic: Is it time to give HYO another try?  (Read 124940 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Is it time to give HYO another try?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 09:46:16 PM »
Having hosted net game shows for five years on another forum, I would be open to HYOs here again. Heck, I haven't hosted since Barker was still on the show.

I believe the same protocol we've always had should be enforced, such as a good portion of your posts in say The Talk is Right or the Recap section. If someone's abusing the HYO section for posts, introduce a probationary period to enforce talking about the actual show. Depending on how much interest we get, we should start again with the two-host limit. With the discretion of the mods, maybe they could give a third to a more seasoned host.

As far as deadlines, I'm not a fan of anything less than 24 hours due to many of us on here working or attending school or college. It shouldn't be a problem now with summer but it's something to consider when school starts again.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »
Even after 25 shows, I still have the hosting itch...

This is something that I think needs to be addressed too. No matter how you slice it, 25 is a big number, and probably higher than average.

I'm not a fan of a lifetime cap, but I do think that once you reach a certain number of shows, there needs to be a longer waiting period before you can host again, in order to give others a chance. It's the same philosophy as a waiting period between shows--others need to have their chance.

EDIT: gamesurf said it better than me.

Quote from: gamesurf
It would help discourage people from hosting, just for the sake of hosting. Friendly competition breeds innovation.

I look at it this way: if I've never hosted a show, but Teddy's hosted 25, and I put my name in but he gets the green light for his show...how exactly is that fair? He's done it enough, and I've never done it, so I deserve my shot too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:13:10 PM by ThomHuge »

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
Likewise, if a prospective contestant frequently misses deadlines, or never leaves the HYO section, or only post just to post, there's nothing wrong with a host choosing to calling them down later in the show or not at all. It's their show, after all.

Emphasis mine. I think these same criteria should apply to hosts too. Hosts need to contribute to the site in a constructive way, and if anything the bar should be higher--if a user frequently shows up in the recap threads, for example, and only ever states the obvious (things like "wow, if so-and-so had only done this, they'd have won that!" or "no cars were won today" that anyone could see for themselves just by reading the recap), it's tantamount to posting just to post.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
This is something that I think needs to be addressed too. No matter how you slice it, 25 is a big number, and probably higher than average.

I'm not a fan of a lifetime cap, but I do think that once you reach a certain number of shows, there needs to be a longer waiting period before you can host again, in order to give others a chance. It's the same philosophy as a waiting period between shows--others need to have their chance.

I look at it this way: if I've never hosted a show, but Teddy's hosted 25, and I put my name in but he gets the green light for his show...how exactly is that fair? He's done it enough, and I've never done it, so I deserve my shot too.
I agree with your assessment; I would like as many new hosts to get their shot as they possibly can. I remember HYO hosts retiring after a set number of shows, like BRB_TheFireball did at the end of his 16th episode. I feel that hosts should be able to do as many shows as they can, and then retire on their own free will instead of being forced into it.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 10:21:18 PM »
If you want to participate, then that's great. That said...first we have this...

I agree with your assessment; I would like as many new hosts to get their shot as they possibly can. I remember HYO hosts retiring after a set number of shows, like BRB_TheFireball did at the end of his 16th episode. I feel that hosts should be able to do as many shows as they can, and then retire on their own free will instead of being forced into it.

And then, we have this...

I would love to see the HYO section return so I can continue my series.

[snip]

Even after 25 shows, I still have the hosting itch.

The discussion isn't about bringing back HYO so you can continue your series. It's possible return is to give everyone a chance to have a turn, and it doesn't sound like you really get that. So if you agree with my assessment, my question is at what point is enough enough and it becomes appropriate that you should retire of your own free will?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:27:27 PM by ThomHuge »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 10:27:23 PM »
To be fair, no one except Teddy was actively signing up to host shows during that final year or so of HYO (minus the trolls who forged themselves on ahead).  No one was being passed over — there literally wasn’t anyone else signing up, and that’s not his fault in the least.  Heck, I commend his dedication!  However, new HYO doesn’t need repetitive hosting.  That’s not a knock on anyone here, it just gets stale having the same people.  If it means going a little while here and there without an active show, that’s OK.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 12:41:53 AM »
That makes me think of something else--contestants. Reignited hosting passions are great, but they don't amount to much unless there are enough contestants.

A probation period on new accounts would improve the culture in HYO, yes. Of course, this means less contestants immediately available. We would have to make up the difference with active members. Near the end of HYO's run, it wasn't uncommon for signups to need to be extended or re-extended in order to get enough players to run the show. If the occasional show needs it, this is probably okay to do once or twice, but if it's a regular thing that's a big problem.

Could we regularly get enough 10-12+ active members to sign up for a show at a time without having to stretch?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 09:39:40 AM »
May I suggest that the HYO be transformed into, perhaps, a once or twice a month special? This would allow for a number of hosts to prepare shows that might air a month into the future. Thus, they will have time to do them right, instead of hastily piecing together shows simply to fill a void. This will ensure that the HYO is played in moderation, and doesn't become a regular thing.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 09:55:35 AM »
A couple of thoughts:

1. I do like the idea of HYO coming back. It's been long enough and the site has calmed down enough that it's worth another go.

2. I like the idea of minimum post count AND minimum time since a user has joined the site to be able to play in an HYO. If you have just a minimum post count, then someone could come and post "I agree" a bunch of times just to play HYO. If you have just minimum time, then you could have someone who created an account years ago but never contributed at all here trying to play HYO.

3. I'm sorry, but 12 hours is too short a time frame to force people to respond. Nothing wrong with encouraging that, but if, for example, someone sleeps for 8 hours and then has an early flight the next day, they might not be able to check the site. This is especially true for the host--they may be able to check the site but it can take longer for them to post something, as it takes time to check their script, format their post with the graphics, etc. A 24 hour time limit, on the other hand, is a good amount.

3b. For the mods' sake, I don't think you want them having to take over shows even if the host disappears for a couple of days. That sounds like a lot of work for the mods, who have to look at someone else's script, try to use their graphics, etc. Instead, I'd vote for a rule of if a host goes silent for 3 days, their show goes on hiatus and we start another show. Then when one of the ongoing shows finishes, the half-finished show can pick back up. And then the host is not allowed to host another show for at least 6 months unless they had a *really* good reason to abandon their show in the first place.

4. I of course agree that there should be a variety of hosts, and that they should have to submit scripts in advance. Perhaps there could be up to four shows going at once--two by new(ish) hosts and two by veteran hosts.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:59:38 AM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
Believe it or not, I actually wanted to start this thread a few days ago, but just couldn’t get around to it. I’m truly glad there’s are quite a few others besides me who want HYOs to return. I’m even working on a half hour show at this moment. I was content with going to Net-Games to play it, but playing it here, on a forum that I’ve been a part of for years, would be truly incredible. I’m all in favor of bringing it back, and I truly hope it does come back soon so that we can enjoy the game show we love so much as hosts and contestants once more.  :-)
Stop the madness.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 12:57:53 PM »
Keep bringing the suggestions, everyone!  I love what I’m seeing so far — the genuine compassion for HYO, excellent ideas, all of it — this is a great discussion!  Rest assured, your input will play a substantial role in how a new HYO section is implemented, so let your voice be heard!  :)

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »
I don’t like the idea of submitting scripts because it’s just that- a script. While this will never be as good as a live show with people actually in the same room together, there is still room for spontaneous fun, if you have the right contestant.

If it is something like submitting a game list and the prices of prizes, that could work.

I don’t think there should be nearly the same strict requirements to play as to host. Myself for example, I rarely post in Talk is Right these days because I don’t watch the show as it is now. That doesn’t mean I would be a bad contestant- in fact I know the games very well (except the newer ones that debuted a year or two after Carey took over- and I could learn those).

I do like a mix of newer and veteran hosts, as it gives variety. People can make up their minds on which shows to play. We also don’t need an ILoveSuperball like hosted game.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 03:07:55 PM »
Scripts have always been required of members new to HYO, at least for their first few shows.  All that’s asked for is nothing more than a list of prizes used (price and where it originated) and for which games/IUFBs/showcases.  If there are any issues, the HYO mod will hopefully catch it and alert the host ahead of time of any changes that should be made.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
May I suggest that the HYO be transformed into, perhaps, a once or twice a month special? This would allow for a number of hosts to prepare shows that might air a month into the future. Thus, they will have time to do them right, instead of hastily piecing together shows simply to fill a void. This will ensure that the HYO is played in moderation, and doesn't become a regular thing.

An average HYO takes about a month from start to finish. So if there were only allowed to host once every three months, for example, and if there's two shows going on at once, that means room for about five potential shows by other hosts in between. (I'm not sure that's an issue we'd need to plan for just yet--in light of where we left off two and a half years ago, I think it's wise to be cautious.)

I don’t like the idea of submitting scripts because it’s just that- a script. While this will never be as good as a live show with people actually in the same room together, there is still room for spontaneous fun, if you have the right contestant.

If it is something like submitting a game list and the prices of prizes, that could work.

By "script" I don't think anyone means literally scripting out all the host patter, but just as you said, the game lineup, the prizes and prices used, maybe a sample of the graphics they plan to use--anything that proves the host has put some real thought into it. That way the mods know the host has a set plan and isn't just making it up as they go along. Plus it's a quality check, a mechanism to stop somebody before they try to play Golden Road for a private island or something.

And like I mentioned--friendly competition helps ensure quality. If there's multiple people wanting to host, mods need to be able to select which to prioritize. People are likely to put more thought into their shows if they know a so-so or questionable script might mean their show gets placed on the backburner to make room for somebody else who has a really quality one.

3b. For the mods' sake, I don't think you want them having to take over shows even if the host disappears for a couple of days. That sounds like a lot of work for the mods, who have to look at someone else's script, try to use their graphics, etc. Instead, I'd vote for a rule of if a host goes silent for 3 days, their show goes on hiatus and we start another show. Then when one of the ongoing shows finishes, the half-finished show can pick back up. And then the host is not allowed to host another show for at least 6 months unless they had a *really* good reason to abandon their show in the first place.

If a host goes silent for 3 days without telling anyone, their show should be cancelled. I don't think it would be productive to try to pick up the pieces a month later when everyone's moved on.

I also think a mod would be making a lot of work for themselves by taking a show into their own hands. I'm not sure it'd be worth it--I think the occasional prod is fine if they trust the host to be able to get back on track, and if there's a clear problem with the show it would be better to just cancel it outright.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:36:42 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 08:31:36 PM »
I'm on board for trying to resurrect it with some of the restrictions in place - what's the worst that could happen?

I'm also not a fan of the 12 hour time limit and feel that it needs to be 24. What we need to try to do though is reasonably limit the amount of host-contestant interactions so that the game moves more quickly.

If we are playing More or Less, don't go one prize at a time, give all 4. If we are playing Spelling Bee, present all of the SP's at once. If we are playing Money Game, after you find one half of the car give all your guesses for the other half in order.

Little tweaks like this reduce the overall length of the show and make sure we keep things moving.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024