Author Topic: Someone on Reddit linked to a 2008 Golden Road thread  (Read 3264 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Someone on Reddit linked to a 2008 Golden Road thread
« on: August 11, 2023, 12:20:48 AM »
There may be no Rule 6 in Monty Python's "Bruces Philosophers" sketch, but there is one here, and it goes something like this: "Do not resurrect threads that have not had a reply in more than 30 days."

So I found it amusing that someone in the Reddit group r/ThePriceIsRight responded to a question asking "who was the first contestant to bid $1 and which episode it was" with a link to a 2008 Golden Road thread, "First "ONE DOLLAR" bid," whose last post was dated 2/9/08.

Link to the topic on Reddit

Link to the specific post in the thread that links back to here
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Someone on Reddit linked to a 2008 Golden Road thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 01:51:51 PM »
i mean, they probably had a response in the reddit thread, not the GR one (thus not bumping the thread on here)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 02:13:58 PM »
Seeing this has me curious... in the 15 years since that original thread, have we found an example predating 1771D?

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 09:27:57 PM »
i mean, they probably had a response in the reddit thread, not the GR one (thus not bumping the thread on here)

I just found it unusual that someone would link to a forum's 15-year-old thread - any forum, not specifically Golden Road.  The fact that there's a 'no bumping old threads' rule here makes the link to Golden Road even more unusual.

Of course, old threads can still have research value... the discussion on what it's like to attend TPIR tapings in the new studios will be a perfect example years from now.

Seeing this has me curious... in the 15 years since that original thread, have we found an example predating 1771D?

Would the discovery of an earlier example be a legitimate reason to bump that thread?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 10:43:11 PM »
Yes, it would! If you have new information about a dead topic, you can absolutely bump it. Arguably though, it's better if you don't for the sake of the forum specifically since new threads create more indexing, which leads to more traffic and hits on search engines. Wouldn't discourage you if you did so though.

I seem to recall quite a few years back we had a 10-year-old thread bumped about the longest, most unusual names to be called down. The bumping post had a lot of good new information, which was perfectly legitimate bump, as a prior such example.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 01:49:03 PM »
I should also point out that it's pretty common on most internet boards not to allow thread bumping (Sometimes called "Necroing") People's opinions change. Also it's not good to respond to a post where many of the original posters don't even post to the board anymore (Yeah, we've had that happen before...)

My suggestion: Make a new thread, but post a link to the older thread for reference.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »
this is a cool idea to rexplore but somehow this is a 'sticky topic'. (something usually reserved for rules and very important announcements) is the issue here that someone technically mentioned a Old topic and we are here to considering if they were getting 'around' the rules. is the issue that they called us nerds and angry at which some would consider 'offensive language'.

I just found it unusual that someone would link to a forum's 15-year-old thread - any forum, not specifically Golden Road.  The fact that there's a 'no bumping old threads' rule here makes the link to Golden Road even more unusual.

Of course, old threads can still have research value... the discussion on what it's like to attend TPIR tapings in the new studios will be a perfect example years from now.

Would the discovery of an earlier example be a legitimate reason to bump that thread?

in terms of that i have seen from game show form mention old posts usually making a new one (I am personally thinking of the telephone game reminisced one). but even ignoring that it seems in the context that the person was showing that someone else was thinking of that before them. people use Google these forms do you have Google discovery. I found out about game show forms in general from a search referring to the deal or no deal Pluto channel and discovering the thread for that. (it was a different site but I would have never been part of this site without it) I have even discovered possibly older threads (different website, do not remember) when I was searching stuff for high school. (keep in mind I was desperate since searching a list of foreign names for God that my teacher gave me did not come up with many 'hits' and I took anything at 3 hours, by the way he was a nice teacher just taught obscure stuff.) 

I personally would not bump a forum of that age on this website (we are talking about a decade later here and not really a 'specific enough' with exact episodes and stuff, I think these rules were really made for like a year later with delay of seasons) I have definitely seen people basically get warnings for this (around the lines of 'technically it is allowed but do not do again the person who made this has not been on for over five years'). even though I do not participate on Reddit or anything like that (I do not really use social media) I might do it for topics referral to technology with a definite solution since it makes it easier for everyone involved, there have definitely been times I have wished that someone has done that. but another thing to consider is on these forms we are all really really a close knit group that is kind of more of discussion then anything else. (The one I listed in the example was about phone games) but like I say with the religion paper sometimes these forms are the only source in terms of the subjects.

they should not have use those terms when referring to our website, it does not take a knowledge of forums to know that was offensive and he is not going to likely fail a class if he does not mention the link but I do not think we should be attacking someone for this or making this on the top. if anything this is a compliment at our knowledge that it can be used as references.

I should also point out that it's pretty common on most internet boards not to allow thread bumping (Sometimes called "Necroing") People's opinions change. Also it's not good to respond to a post where many of the original posters don't even post to the board anymore (Yeah, we've had that happen before...)

My suggestion: Make a new thread, but post a link to the older thread for reference.

I would suggest also quoting the title of the original for the search feature. I have definitely seen issues when the linking 'breaks'. anyhow hopefully everyone figures what we trying to figure out out. wow this post is long and I guess it took me an hour to write but I felt it was important because it was a sticky topic after all.

edit a hour later

I cannot believe I forgot one very important detail about issues with 'bouncing things up' on here. unlike 'other sites' on forums it makes it goes to the top of our page which can get weird when we are looking at a 2008 post about 'things we like about Bob' (this is random on the top of my head. if this happened I am not basing it on this.) when we are trying to find today's game or 'updated stages'. I think a lot of us have pressed 'go to the end' button and then started looking back they are in story thinking some of this is cool. problem is if everyone started commenting on what we think it's cool there we would lose all the current posts. I sometimes stretch the 30 day rule, I will admit that. (sometimes I post 32 days with 35 days after) but I always try to follow the spirit (which is do not post a half a year after.) end of the day try to have common sense discretion. that is one of the big reasons I cannot believe I forgot the first time. anyway good day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 02:41:46 PM by Game Girl »