Studio 46 - Non-TPiR Discussion > Out In Left Field

Clickbait Titles...

<< < (2/2)

pricefan18:
Am I in the minority here in thinking that at least the anniversary type posts are really not that bad? I have seen it done elsewhere in a similar fashion for milestones, and even done here I think long ago before more recently. As clickbait goes, I feel like there's much worse honestly than these. Although, I suppose if you wanted to keep that theme around as I feel there is some merit to the concept, what you could do is open up a day in history thread similar to the obits. Might become a little redundant at times maybe, but it'd be a thought.

ThomHuge:

--- Quote from: pricefan18 on November 11, 2019, 03:52:36 PM ---Am I in the minority here in thinking that at least the anniversary type posts are really not that bad?

--- End quote ---

Yes.

--- Quote from: pricefan18 on November 11, 2019, 03:52:36 PM ---I have seen it done elsewhere in a similar fashion for milestones...

--- End quote ---

Why is what's done "elsewhere" relevant here?

--- Quote from: pricefan18 on November 11, 2019, 03:52:36 PM ---...and even done here I think long ago before more recently.

--- End quote ---

See my previous point--when it was once in a while and led to interesting threads, it was one thing. But it's gotten out of hand lately, and more often than not seems to lead to junk threads. So, what was done "before more recently" is irrelevant--it's what's happening now that matters.

--- Quote from: pricefan18 on November 11, 2019, 03:52:36 PM ---As clickbait goes, I feel like there's much worse honestly than these.

--- End quote ---

Again--we're not talking about use of clickbait anywhere else. We're talking about it here.

--- Quote from: pricefan18 on November 11, 2019, 03:52:36 PM ---Although, I suppose if you wanted to keep that theme around as I feel there is some merit to the concept, what you could do is open up a day in history thread similar to the obits. Might become a little redundant at times maybe, but it'd be a thought.

--- End quote ---

No, what you do is make your users title their threads appropriately (example: "GREED's 20th Anniversary" for the thread in question). That takes care of the problem from every direction--it makes users think before they post; it doesn't waste everyone else's time opening thread after ambiguously-titled thread to find out what they're about; and it discourages posting of redundant threads (no more "I don't know if this was posted already" because you already saw the clear titles of existing threads, and know full well whether you're being redundant).

Basically, anything that forces people to think before they post is (to borrow CU's term) a Good Thing.

pricefan18:

--- Quote from: ThomHuge on November 11, 2019, 04:04:25 PM ---Yes.

Why is what's done "elsewhere" relevant here?

See my previous point--when it was once in a while and led to interesting threads, it was one thing. But it's gotten out of hand lately, and more often than not seems to lead to junk threads. So, what was done "before more recently" is irrelevant--it's what's happening now that matters.

--- End quote ---

I'm just saying in it in the sense that the day in history concept is far from new. So it seems somewhat overblown from that perspective IMO.

ThomHuge:

--- Quote from: pricefan18 on November 11, 2019, 04:20:54 PM ---I'm just saying in it in the sense that the day in history concept is far from new. So it seems somewhat overblown from that perspective IMO.

--- End quote ---

If the alternative is people posting 365 "this day in history" threads each year, then yes, I'm all for keeping it all contained in a single thread--I do like not having a zillion obits for random people cluttering up OiLF. That said, things like the Greed anniversary aren't things I'd want buried in a thread like that (ask yourself: does it seem likely that anyone except the people posting in it actually read the obit thread?).

I'm sorry if the response to annoying clickbait threads seems overblown to you--but rest assured that's a very minority opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version