Author Topic: tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode  (Read 22028 times)

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:58:07 PM »
It's time for another exciting episode of tpiradam's Price is Right! This time we're doing something different. No weird prizes, no throwbacks, no repeating prizes.

BUT

That's not to say there isn't a gimmick to this show! For this show all the prizes will be rather typical TPIR prizes and your regular TPIR games and Showcase Showdown and Showcases, but with the skill level and luck factor upped over 9000%. Game setups will be intentionally difficult and troll-y and will reward the smart, cunning and lucky.

This is an hour format show and unlike my last show I will not trim it down to half the games, half the prizes. That means I need at least nine participants to sign up. If I don't get enough after a certain time I will shut this show down and that will probably be the end of my HYO career.

What I'd like to hear from you is what you think is the most difficult game from the show, current or retired, whether it's luck or skill, and why you feel that way about it. Simple question but I'll be looking for the most creative and well thought out answers.

Here's to hoping for a fun, exciting and challenging game!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:41:00 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
Re: tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode SIGNUPS
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:15:14 PM »
I would say Bullseye 1972 because it was the only pricing game to never been won. 0-5. Count me in.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:38:35 PM »
Stack the Deck. Even when it's set up to be won, it's still way too hard. Sometimes sheer, dumb luck can net you the W in this mess of a game!
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »
I'm in! The hardest game to win is 3 Strikes with the current rules. Excluding Punch-a-Bunch and Plinko!, where you can win a lot of money but still "lose" the game, 3 Strikes has the lowest win probability for people who know their prices. (Assuming perfect pricing knowledge, 3 Strikes has a win probability of 37.5%; next lowest are Pass the Buck and 1/2 Off at 50% each, and then Let 'em Roll at 51.29%.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:59:56 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 11:06:00 PM »
I'll join the line.

My vote has to go to Pay the Rent. The game is so hard, it's spilling out of the show and into my personal life. Paying real rent is almost as hard.  :-D

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 11:17:31 PM »
Bullseye I was too hard for 1972, but it is a ridiculous trainwreck by today's standards.

If you use perfect binary search, you can eliminate half the guesses every time, for seven guesses. 2^7 is 128 possibilities. If you can price a car within $128, you are Ted Slauson.

There is no realistic pricing strategy a normal contestant can use. There is no realistic game strategy besides "try to go 50/50 perfectly between your guesses and hope the producers were nice" or "go against the odds and pick random numbers and hope you get lucky." There's just nothing about it at all that makes it interesting to play or watch.

And if you try to fudge it in the contestant's favor, like by giving a $500 range, it's still not a "pricing" game, you're still playing "guess your favorite three-digit number", since nobody can really price a car at that level. Why play it for a car? Why not play it for something manageable, like a 3-digit prize, and offer a bigger bonus for getting it? (Oh, right, because then you've invented Clock Game.)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 11:32:26 PM »
Plinko. People love it, people enjoy it. It's my fave game I've gotta say. Let's just say you won four more chips, for a chance at the whole $50K. But you just end up hitting either 1K or the 0 slots when the chips ricochet towards the middle of the board. That's why even one never won the prize they've offered for almost 20 years now. It's possible, yet impossible. Remember Plinko's 30th Anniversary show? That went plunko.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 12:03:58 AM »
On The Nose! Even if a contestant gets the price of the car right is not an guarantee that they're actually going to win it! They have to do their attempts at a certain mark no matter what. What's even worse there is that they may not be good at a certain sport that is chosen for them to play! By the way I'm in! I'll see what happens here on this show!

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 12:43:19 AM »
Oops! All that words and stuff but I haven't said that I'm in for this! I'M IN! 😂

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 08:25:04 AM »
Going a different route since I'm in a minority about this game: Super Ball!! Way too much hand-eye coordination involved, and the difficulty depends on the contestant who plays. Doesn't help that the consolations are pretty chintzy. Skee Ball belongs in an arcade, not The Price is Right.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:35 AM »
Hardest to win...Bullseye 72, hands down. It was bad in 1972, but in 2020 it's mind-blowing. Even for CSSers that know their cars, there are too many options available to make nailing the price easy. And for common contestants that guess $25k on cars in Pocket Change and non-zero-ending cars in 10 Chances...you're toast.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
Wow so nice to see such a big turn out thank you all! I have 9 but sign-ups will close Saturday so there is still plenty of time!

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »
Wow so nice to see such a big turn out thank you all! I have 9 but sign-ups will close Saturday so there is still plenty of time!
You are very welcome.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 10:54:50 PM »
I'm in!

Bullseye 72 has to be the most difficult game, having to guess the price of the car exactly in seven guesses. The only way it could've been won is if a contestant got super lucky on a wild guess or the price ended in ,500.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 11:29:13 PM »
Let’s be a bit different, Lucky $even. And not even with how they set it up on the show currently, which is decently reasonable. But rather, if it’s a car you don’t know, the second number is very much open for interpretation. Anything beyond that point is a crapshoot unless you know the car. For a game that allows a max of 1.5 digits missed on average number, this absolutely can be brutal. You can theoretically mix in 0s, 9s with any order at your peril. Playing it safe with 5s almost assuredly loses the car, as do most other permutations relative to set up and a possible contestant guess.

Bullseye I at least later in its life gave a $500 range from the third and fourth taped playing, and also subsequently rounded to the nearest $10 on the final playing. Not a total shot in the dark as you’d believe. By purely searching through binary guesses, the $500 range allows 1/7.8125 odds, or in the same ballpark as Freeze Frame. I don’t think anybody would put Freeze as a Sisyphean task, right?
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!