Author Topic: Unbelievably Rushed Big Game Show Wins  (Read 3244 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Unbelievably Rushed Big Game Show Wins
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Were there any big wins on game shows that were basically ruined because the show ran out of time and the big win was followed by a very quick goodbye by the host due to the show running out of run time?

On Price, Bob would occasionally go into speed-up mode where if the show was running long due to a particularly long pricing game, he would rush through the games to get the show back on time. Were there other game shows where the entire show builds up to one moment but then the moment is rushed?

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Unbelievably Rushed Big Game Show Wins
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
There was one 1990 episode of Think Fast that ran exceedingly long. From the start, you could tell the final segment was being rushed; Skip didn't even bother doing the Locker Room rule spiel, instead simply saying "you already know it's played" as quickly as he could. The team ended up winning the Locker Room, which was met with "You guys did it, we have no time! Bye!" Show logo appears, immediate fade to black.

Every other victory had Skip celebrating with the teams, the announcer recounting the prizes, etc. That time he had to warp speed through everything, and it kinda killed the moment.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 09:02:54 PM »
I know NBC spoiled the living hell out of Jason Luna’s $1,000,000 win on “1 vs. 100,” and when he did win, Bob Saget had enough time to basically ask him all of three questions, lasting a total of 40 seconds, before the show ended.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:43:42 PM »
In an early episode of Password Plus, they squeezed in an Alphabetics where the judge gave credit for a word the contestant never said. He wound up winning at the last second, upon which Allen Ludden immediately threw to commercial. Allen had to hurriedly explain that it was their mistake since they misheard the guess, and they let the contestant keep the $5,000.

A 1992 episode of Family Double Dare forced a third physical challenge in the third round to prevent a tie. Because of this, Marc was in constant hurry-up mode through the obstacle course descriptions. And in the closing seconds of the course (which the family won at the last second), a cameraman slipped and fell. There was only enough time for Doc Holliday to give the prize total intermixed with an edit of Marc's sign-off. Doc's Nickelodeon Studios plug came immediately after that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:45:43 PM by PatrickRox80 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 05:09:52 AM »
A 1992 episode of Family Double Dare forced a third physical challenge in the third round to prevent a tie. Because of this, Marc was in constant hurry-up mode through the obstacle course descriptions. And in the closing seconds of the course (which the family won at the last second), a cameraman slipped and fell. There was only enough time for Doc Holliday to give the prize total intermixed with an edit of Marc's sign-off. Doc's Nickelodeon Studios plug came immediately after that.

Who were the teams? I'd like to see this episode if it's around online.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »
^Mean McQueens vs. Windy City Players.

laylist=x66tm6

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 07:16:23 AM »
On Press Your Luck in May 1984, Becky Steeler won $33,410 in an insanely long game that also likely had the longest list of prizes won, there was no time for ending chat except for Peter Tomarken signing off very quickly.

laylist?playlist=x4snd8

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 09:23:26 AM »
On Press Your Luck in May 1984, Becky Steeler won $33,410 in an insanely long game that also likely had the longest list of prizes won, there was no time for ending chat except for Peter Tomarken signing off very quickly.

laylist?playlist=x4snd8

Also, a word of note about this particular episode -- the original airing on CBS apparently acknowledged the Home Player Spin, while the GSN version ommitted all references to it.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
^Mean McQueens vs. Windy City Players.

laylist=x66tm6

Thanks, that was quite an episode in general with the comeback the Windy City Players made in Round 2 to force the tie. And yeah that ending was rushed alright, although Marc's sign off wasn't edited that I could tell, it just happened super quick.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
Also, a word of note about this particular episode -- the original airing on CBS apparently acknowledged the Home Player Spin, while the GSN version ommitted all references to it.

BUZZR did seem to have the similar edited acknowledgement ($4000+ a spin, with the home player receiving the $4000). The contestant interviews are also edited a la 1960s color episodes of Password for syndication. I believe this is the record for most prizes won by a contestant (eight) in this version if I'm not mistaken? I'm fairly sure that Whammy! had at least one episode with nine or ten prizes awarded.

Family Feud's short-lived 400 point format in Dawson's final season lead to quite a few of those, and to a lesser degree, the Bullseye formats in subsequent versions. This was most notable for Richard saying simply "Survey" instead of "Survey said" or the even earlier "Our survey said" to speed things up during Fast Money.

I'd imagine Wheel in the pre-null cycle days had their share of sloppy edits for long speedup rounds, but it just means a "bye" by Pat/Vanna, any fee plugs, then the short closing.

Is you may imagine, this is rarely a problem on straddling shows. But for Double Dare, I'd wish they would do a special tiebreaker stunt (easier than the tossups at the start of the round) when they'd be running short of time. Ever notice that the majority of the time (especially in SSDD/FDD pre-2000) that a round ends immediately upon a team Double Daring back to their opponent? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:18:09 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 12:25:45 PM »
I remember the episode of Wheel of Fortune where that lady solved "I'VE GOT A GOOD FEELING ABOUT THIS" with only the L. She made it to the Bonus Round and won, but right after she did, because they added in a tribute to Charlie O'Donnell who passed away that week, they cut straight to the credits which were noticeably sped-up, before the tribute played.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 01:04:14 PM »
Family Feud's short-lived 400 point format in Dawson's final season lead to quite a few of those, and to a lesser degree, the Bullseye formats in subsequent versions. This was most notable for Richard saying simply "Survey" instead of "Survey said" or the even earlier "Our survey said" to speed things up during Fast Money.

Is you may imagine, this is rarely a problem on straddling shows. But for Double Dare, I'd wish they would do a special tiebreaker stunt (easier than the tossups at the start of the round) when they'd be running short of time. Ever notice that the majority of the time (especially in SSDD/FDD pre-2000) that a round ends immediately upon a team Double Daring back to their opponent? 

The 200 point format on Feud probably led to this too early on. I know there are at least some early shows where they would have to do Fast Money and then the close, vs. the normal Fast Money, commercial and then close that became standard once they went to 300. I never noticed that about the Survey thing with Dawson incidentally, I just thought he did that on his own for whatever reason (I seem to recall he was doing it even late in the 300 point era to this end but could be wrong on that), but it does make sense.

With regards to Double Dare....one workaround to the time running short thing late, coulda possibly been allowing for the team that had control of the question one chance to answer it at the value it was worth in lieu of a physical challenge, as opposed to it being thrown out entirely. I think that woulda been a fairer way to handle that situation, as it sorta punishes both families otherwise for using the time they did on it.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
And I thought the early examples out there were the syndicated "What's My Line?" and "To Tell the Truth."

Wherein the host would simply say, "We're late ... bye!" I know there was one Larry Blyden-era episode of WML where Larry simply said, "Late. Bye!" There may or may not have been TTTT episodes where they simply went to the theme and the announcer giving the closing fee plugs.

I'm sure that, as we see more Jack Narz-era "Concentration" episodes we'll see one or more episodes where Narz – in less than five seconds – simply congratulates the winner(s) and says goodbye before throwing to the closing fee plugs. In the 30 episodes aired so far on Buzzr, no truly rushed closes yet, although I think at least one had the main theme cued right up as Narz was recapping the show before his sign-off.

Brian