Author Topic: 9821's The Price is Right Episode 2 - What Hasn't Happened?  (Read 24264 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: 9821's The Price is Right Episode 2 - What Hasn't Happened?
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
$3,999 it is... *ding!*

Now, gamesurf, you're left with the last item. And I should stay objective, but I think it is ironically the thing of this lineup that is impossible to price. Yet, it's sadistically my favorite thing that I found a giant price tag for. Mr Announcer, what is it?

gamesurf, you're going to be playing Plinko... with this two-player coin pusher!

Built in the fabulous US of A, and received for a major discount since Chuck E. Cheese's is going bankrupt, this coin pusher will take your tokens down the famous pegboard and light up the letters of Plinko below. If that happens, the Big Wheel on top spins and grants extra tickets! This machine also comes with a pull out ticket drawer to make reloading tickets easier!

Good luck.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2020, 09:39:33 PM »
Who among us hasn't googled "TPIR" on ebay and had one of these come up at least once... it was long enough ago that I can't remember exactly, but I remember it was more than I would ever expect.

But I think a pinball machine is $3,500ish, and a nickel pusher is $2,000ish.

One of those Plinko games has less tech and takes up less space than a pinball machine, but more than a nickel pusher.

So 3 grand? Multiplied by two?

$5,995.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2020, 10:04:55 PM »
For clarifications sake, you aren't bidding on a used model. This is a brand new Plinko coin pusher machine. And also, sometimes this is sold in packs of one coin pusher, but one can buy two of the single pushers and a kit to fuse them together.

I'll give you the option to rebid, since it sounds like you're considering used models on eBay and I've already used appraised items on this show. If you want to keep the $5,995, just confirm that.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2020, 10:19:06 PM »
I'll stick with $5,995. I don't know how well they hold their value.

If we were talking about a used Chuck-e-Cheese animatronic, OTOH, I'd be bidding much less. Like, in the negatives.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2020, 02:30:04 PM »
We're sticking with the $5,995 bid then, alright... *ding!* Time to see who advances to the showcases!

Let's just go in the order of bids. tpir04, you bid $12,895 on the safe. Actual retail price...

$6,299, and you went nearly double of the price BUZZ!

Next up, we have Numbers. He bid an appropriate $6,789 on the Utility Terrain Vehicle. Actual retail price...

$8,360! That gives Numbers a good difference, but will it be good enough?

Next, tpiradam was forced to bid on a computer part. He bid $800.

The actual retail price is $5,500...

Not enough to beat Numbers. We turn to LiteBulb, who bid $3,999 on the camera. The actual retail price is...

$6,500. Close, but not enough to beat 123123123.

Finally, we turn to gamesurf, who bid $5,995 on the Plinko coin pusher. Actual retail price...

$11,999! Not enough, Numbers, you've done it!

Numbers, we're going to move on to the Showcase round. I've randomized the envelopes of the range of your guess, and I want you to pick a number between 1 and 10. I'm also going to ask you to choose a theme.

Theme 1: To All the Hosts Before Me...
Theme 2: Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na... Pricing Man!

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
Aye, a chance at redemption!

I'll pick envelope 10, and go with Theme #1

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »
Alright, you've picked envelope 10... and you've gotten the bare minimum of $6,000.

*light applause*

But hey, it's still a 6k range, which could be enough to win this lovely assortment of prizes! Mr. Announcer, take it away!

This showcase pays tribute to all of the people who have hosted a game ever since HYO came back!

And lets, just cut to the chase with you, Numbers. You like to rep the country of Ghana, so you can celebrate your fandom... with red, gold, and green phones!

First, this Samsung Galaxy Note10 comes with 256 gigabytes of storage, 8 gigabytes of RAM, and fast charging!

[cente][/center]

Next, from Goldgenie, one of the most desirable smartphones on the planet. This 256GB iPhone 11 Pro is coated with 24 karat gold, and comes in a premium box! Headphones, charging cable, and a lifetime warranty are included!

Then, flashback to the old days with this Motorola V3 GSM! Remember how it was like to use an actual keypad to call and text everything!

Our next host we're shouting out is DarkShockBro for the one game they hosted. Now, I get the feeling from their profile picture that they're a big fan of Celeste, so I'll give you the opportunity to play that game... on this game console and TV!

Take home console games anywhere with this new Nintendo Switch! Comes with two detachable controllers, an HDMI cable, and one game!

And tune in to the latest items with this 55" Spectre 4K Ultra High Definition TV! Use the included remote control to swap between the three HDMI ports!

Next, when this whole virus situation completely blows over, you might want to take a trip out of the country! But stay localish to the country of tpiradam... lovely Canada!

You and a guest are going to fly roundtrip coach from Los Angeles to beautiful Toronto! Enjoy a seven night stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Toronto, where you aren't really going to do anything because nothing is open. Free wi-fi is included, but not daily breakfast, so we're going to throw in 1,000 Canadian Dollars to pay for amenities!

Our next shoutout goes to PatrickRox80, whose Seasons episodes have highlighted the best of each year, starting from 1972, and going onwards! So, our next prize is something that should have stayed in the 70s, but apparently is something that still exists... these new, designer moon boots!

These silver Moon Boot Swarovski snow boots feature a round toe, calf length, embellishments, and for some reason these are supposed to be used as ski boots? I guess if you want to emulate skiing in reduced gravity, you can!

Moving on, one of the most proficient hosts on this forum is Teddy, who tries out new things in mass quantities. This was where a Polaris SL was going to be, but two episodes in a row with the same prize in the showcase is a bit too much. So instead, take this lower-end 3-wheel trike!

This Massimo Spider scooter comes with a 200-horsepower air cooled engine, reinforced steel framing, and an aerodynamically improved fork!

Finally, since all the hosts are done, 9821 has to give his own gift!

Wait, I was?

Yeah, you were!

...well, I mean, I have the $300 from my episode of Price, so I guess I can offer that?

And this showcase with an anticlimactic finish can be yours, but only if, the price is right!

So, you do have the option to half your range if you want to know the price of one of the prizes. And going from $6,000 to $3,000 isn't as bad as you think.

HOLD IT!

How dare you forget about the shows I help announce?

Why the heck is there another announcer in the studio?

9821 should know. He's forgotten that he's was the first ever contestant that got up on stage thanks to a literal s***post, on a show hosted by gamesurf. You know, the guy who was just forced to bid on an unpriceable Plinko machine?

...Where are you going with this?

Well, our producer figured out how to cut into your prize budget, and give the ultimate prize to end your showcase, because nothing beats the thrill in riding...

IN A NEW FORD RANGER!

It's the 2020 Ford Ranger LARIAT Supercab! Comes equipped with a 4x2 drive, 2.3 liter EcoBoost engine, 10-speed automatic transmission, and comes with White Platinum paint, 501A package, Black Appearance package, Trailer Tow package, pickup box extender, engine block heater, SecuriCode™ Keyless-Entry Keypad, tray-style floor liners, tailgate applique, 18" black machine-faced wheels, hood scoop, matte black hood cowl stripe and speed stripes, Ford performance sport exhaust system, fender vent, stainless steel tailgate lettering, Lumen TouchLink bed lighting, horizontal cargo net, cargo bed sling organizer, bed mat, off-road recovery heavy duty replacement parts, pivot storage box, chase racks, tailgate damper, a hitch swing and four-bike tilted bike ramp and cargo basket and kayak carrier and snowsport carrier and paddleboard carrier and two-person tent and adjustable bed rack and canoe carrier and rack-mounted bike carrier with lock and hitch-mounted snowsport carrier and tailgate bike holder and telescoping side bars and rack-mounted light bracket and hitch-mounted rack extension, ALL from Yakima, 40" Rigid LED Light Bar, trailer brake controller, HitchScan rear park assist sensor and hitch step by Rosen, vehicle security system, dashcam, front and rear gatorback splash guards, trailer hitch ball mount, chrome-plated wheel locks, two red tow hooks, and black textured door sill and rocker panel armor! It's the Ford Ranger!

...Well, gamesurf's staff just made things interesting. I raise the offer again. Do you want to half your range to know the exact price of one of the items on stage, or do you want to play on with a $6,000 range?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
Hahahahahahaha

Well, the Ford Ranger goes for about $26,000 base, IIRC, but it seems rather, rather loaded...

Plus it’s a super cab, which is not a model I ever experimented with but could well add a few thousand to the price. Wish I could be more help.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:47:33 PM by gamesurf »

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2020, 07:41:40 PM »
Wow, what a beautifully written showcase!! Doesn't make it easier for me to make a bid, but still a great theme.  :-)

There's no way I'm taking only a $3,000 range, so let me talk this out loud and see what happens.

Phones: I'm pretty sure iPhone 11 is over $1,000. I just "upgraded" to a refurbished Galaxy S8 for only $250, so I'm not sure if the Note 10 gets to a grand, maybe $700. While the Motorola is still slick, even more so in green, it can't possibly be more than $100 (~$2,000)

Switch & TV: I'm really kicking myself right now, I should know how much the Switch considering how many times I put it in my Amazon cart and didn't get it. Pegging it at $400 with another $50 for the game. 55" isn't huge and Spectre isn't the biggest name brand, so I'll say $2,500 (~$3,000)

Trip: This is the tough part. How cheap are hotel rooms and flights right now? 7 nights in a Toronto hotel is still great, but the fact you just threw in cash has me worried it a lot less than I think. Would also help if I knew the exchange rates  :lol: (~$6,500)

Moon Boots: Swavorski, as in the jewelry maker? From what I've seen, throwing designer in the front of anything adds $$$ (~$2,000)

Grown-Up Tricycle: From the description, I'm guessing it's significantly less than the $26k Slingshot. But it's probably more than your average Vespa or ATV. (~$13,500)

Cash: Does $300 even count as $300 anymore?  (~$300)

Ranger: OK, if it start at $26k, assume each package averages about $1,500, each option cost an average of $75 to $100, and bump the prices of the bigger options up to a $200 to $300 average... screw it, I'm not doing all that. (~$38,500)

For a grand total of...

{whips out calculator}

...$66,700. I add $1,230 for good measure and make my range $64,930 to $70,930 and hope for the best.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2020, 09:05:42 PM »
Alright, if the prize of that showcase is between $64,930 and $70,930, you're a winner. Light it up!

BUZZ!

Aw, you were so close! If you weren't screwed over by bad luck when choosing the range, you would have had it.

Ah well, that's the way it goes sometimes. Until then, I'm 9821, and I'm going to see if I can get a refund on that truck right now. See you!

**************************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***************

You know, that show went about as well as I thought it would, minus the Gift Exchange.

Expected: 1.95/4 (Three items won on Step Up, bailout after 2 wrong items in Money, Double Bullseye)

Actual: 1.7/4 (Two items won on Step Up, bailout after 2 wrong items in Money, Double Bullseye)

-Side by Side was mean. I know. I'm not a big fan of making the quickies easy, and that shows in my shows.

-Man, screw you all for mentioning the rest of the games in my lineup :P Step Up was meant to subvert the 0-1-2-3 structure of the show, yet allowing 3 correct prizes by either picking the Apple Watch first, or knowing Howard Miller is a very expensive grandfather clock brand. Unfortunately, neither of those happened.

-Time is Money was set up so one of each prize was supposed to be a give-me, and also me trying to be funny (Lions, Tigers, Bears, "O"'s, "My"/Lo?). The 200 lollipops obviously cost more than $0.02 a pop, the 2 oz pack of gummy bears was obviously cheap, and the brand name cereal was at a reasonable price this time. The book and mochi were the bait items that were cheaper than they looked, and I thought LiteBulb was going to win when he got the book right.

-In a very old draft of my first show, my first game was supposed to be Lucky 7 for that $19,821 car. I finally got to reuse it in an arbitrary guessing game!

-Yeah, the Gift Exchange was rough. My general philosophy has been to keep all the items above $5,000, and only have one item over $10,000, but I don't think I ever said that. My next show, if I find the concentration to make it, is all going to be centered around one theme, and I'll make sure it's clear some items are fairly price. Although, ironically, gamesurf, if you used your estimation with my $6,099 pinball machine last show instead of $3,500, I think you would have won.

Showcase notes:

-Someone, pick the Batman-themed showcase PLEASE! I really like that one, although you might not thanks to the last prize... :)

-The theme of shouting out all the past hosts came to me because I wanted to be unique with my four games, and I thought there was no better way to pay tribute to the hosts that already shaved off a giant amount of those games than just giving each one a prize.

-Here's a breakdown of all the prizes, but the TL;DR is that 123123123 undershot massively with the sexed-up Ranger, but almost recovered by overpricing the trike and potentially could have saved themselves on the iPhone.

Phones:
Samsung Note 10: $950. It still costs a decent amount. It is in the same ballpark as a 128 GB Galaxy.
GOLD-PLATED iPhone 11 Pro: $3,395. A regular iPhone Pro 5.8" with 256 GB costs $1,149. The key here was that it was "gold-plated" by another company, which adds another two grand.
Motorola V3 GSM: $70. Yeah, you called it with being under $100. There was a phone that was supposedly more ecofriendly, but it only works in Europe, and I didn't want to worry about pricing importing in the same showcase as the Moon Boots.

Game Package:
Celeste: $35. It only costs $19.99 digitally, but because Nintendo Switch cartridges are expensive, they have to upcharge.
Nintendo Switch: $300. If you don't know that by now, shame on you.
Television: $300. Mentally, I wanted to make a couple things cheaper than usual, just in case someone undershot on the Ranger.

Canadian Prize Package: $6,403. Nothing much to say besides you were pretty much spot on. When I wrote the script, 1000 Canadian was $730 USD.

Moon Boots: $2,870. Again, another prize that was supposed to be more expensive than you thought. The price given also included duties in shipping, which I allowed, but for the car, I didn't allow destination fees, because consistency.

3-wheeled motorcycle: $4,499? You definitely overshot on this one. I put a question mark because the official website appears to have changed the price from $4,499 to $3,499 between the time I wrote the script to now? If you had only been within $1,000, I'd probably award a tech win.

Ford Ranger with everything but 4x4 drive: $54,411. I'm not going to go over every single item, but here were a few notable selections:

-The base model Ford Ranger, XL, for me says "Starting at $24,410". I used the Ford Ranger LARIAT, which says "Starting at 32,500". The trims themselves have an $8,000 difference.

-The average of the three packages were around $4,500, so you got that right.

-SuperCab oddly didn't seem like it added anything immediately, but it made some of the options more expensive... as evinced by...

-Your fatal flaw was assuming each option averages at around $100. The average cost of one was around $350.

Yeah, next time is going to be easier, but it will be more luck-based as well! If you have any comments, leave them below, and until then, see you!

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »
Close, but no cigar.  I wish I saw the phone was was gold plated rather than just gold colored. Life moves on.

Great show 9821, and I promise if I somehow find my way back to the showcase in your next show, I'll pick the Batman theme.  :-)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »
Terrific show, 9821!

I really enjoy the format & graphics. It really feels like an alternate universe Price is Right.

I'm sure the batman showcase is good, but that other one wasn't too shabby either :-D