Studio 46 - Non-TPiR Discussion > Technical Support

Why are posting external links not allowed?

(1/2) > >>

FanOfDrew87:
I tried to post a link to a thread, but it stated I am not allowed to post external links.  Why is this the case?  Is the rule designed to prevent viruses or something, or what reason?

LiteBulb88:
You need to have a certain number of posts to be able to post external links; this is to prevent a spammer from joining the site and posting a link to a spam site. I don't know what the threshold is for how many posts you need.

FanOfDrew87:
It most likely has to be a certain magic number, which is kept behind closed doors.  I wouldn't be surprised if the certain number of posts has to be a significant number, and the posts have to be of good quality.  It turns out nobody seems to have achieved that magic number except for a small number of forum veterans and maybe moderators.

Mr. Weatherman:

--- Quote from: FanOfDrew87 on August 29, 2020, 08:22:13 PM ---It most likely has to be a certain magic number, which is kept behind closed doors.  I wouldn't be surprised if the certain number of posts has to be a significant number, and the posts have to be of good quality.  It turns out nobody seems to have achieved that magic number except for a small number of forum veterans and maybe moderators.

--- End quote ---

I believe I could post external links well before I became a mod — like within weeks or months of becoming a member.  I don’t know what the post threshold to membership length algorithm is, but it probably takes more than nine posts to get there.

therealcu2010:

--- Quote from: FanOfDrew87 on August 29, 2020, 08:22:13 PM ---It most likely has to be a certain magic number, which is kept behind closed doors.  I wouldn't be surprised if the certain number of posts has to be a significant number, and the posts have to be of good quality.  It turns out nobody seems to have achieved that magic number except for a small number of forum veterans and maybe moderators.

--- End quote ---

It's quite low, actually... I won't reveal the exact number, but new posters should get to that magic number in no time.

It's an anti-spam feature designed to prevent spambots from flooding the forum with a billion links in a post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version