Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR Bob Barker Celebration Special 05/17/2007  (Read 38738 times)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR Bob Barker Celebration Special 05/17/2007
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 10:50:57 AM »
That's got to be the easiest playing of Triple Play that I've ever seen. Roger wanted to be certain that even the pricing games turned out well on this already-awesome show, that's for sure.

The SPs in 1/2 Off were pretty easy, too. I'm loving the big wins being handed out on a silver platter tonight!

With all the excitement of tonight, the actual gameplay took a backseat. Still... YAY NICOLE FOR WINNING IT ALL! As if this show needed more awesomeness!

The speech by Les Moonves was really good, but the appearance by Adam Sandler was just awesome. A few of us had a feeling that he'd be the special guest, and fortunately, we were right.

HOTTIES: #268, Nicole (perfect screencap; looked right at the camera and gave us a nice smile... everything is going right tonight!)  :-D
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: You know what, considering who this big night is all about, even though he's not a contestant... Bob wins the award tonight! :-)
SHOW GRADE: I've never given a perfect grade. I've thought about it two or three times, but I've yet to do it. A show that gets a perfect grade from me needs to be amazing in every sense of the word. Big wins, memorable moments. This show was all about the memorable moments, and the big wins were just gravy. Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time, I'm grading this show with a grade I've wanted to use for a long time... [color=999900]5[/color]

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
Well, how to describe such a wonderful show. The best hour I've ever spent watching TV. It was an amazing show to say the least, one for the ages.

First off, thank god I had taped it, because my pager, which hasn't gone off all night, chose the time of 8:01PM to ring, and I had to work. Luckily, it didn't last long, and I was back just in time to reveal to Half-Off. And I was able to re-watch the whole thing anyway.

Triple Play was made easy, Half-Off was well done, and Plinko was ... well, Plinko ! Nice showcase win by Nicole, who wins it all. Also, may I note that the first 2 contestants to be called down finished 1 and 2 tonight (showcase winner and showcase finalist).

As for the clips, they were wonderful! Most of them I had never seen. TOC, Bonanza, the Flip Flop Rip ... The speech by Les Moonves was nice, the Bob Barker story was very touching, and the Adam Sandler appeareance was very funny (so was the poem ... "I went out and got myself spayed"! Priceless).

A wonderful night, a wonderful host, a wonderful career. Doesn't get any better than this !

I concur with Joe : 50/5 !

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »
Under normal circumstances, my reviews would consist of a brief take on each pricing game from my point of view; this is not the case.  As I sat in sheer amazement after watching the show on my computer just now, all I can say is that this was the greatest TPiR that my one good eye has had the pleasure of watching.  This even trumps the Season 35 premiere and makes THAT show look silly!

Never before have I given a perfect grade for a show myself, but there's a first time for everything.  Don't you agree with me?

OVERALL SHOW GRADE:  A+

(don't forget to add the extra pluses like in "A Christmas Story"!)  :-D  :-D  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline TheHurdler

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 12:59:35 PM »
Hello all....

My critique of last night's show...

Overall it couldn't be beat. I enjoyed the tribute and the retrospective on his career i television.  however I'm glad I'm wasn't the only one who caught on to the slips/falls coming down to contestant's row with rich's voice added in.  That was awkward because i was expecting to hear rod's voice.  there were some clips such as the ones of the ladies and gents who kissed bob that i've never seen ( the one with Bob in a dark green jacket with the pink carnation) and Shelia who had to be sworn in not to hurt bob, and she eventually chased bob around the Race Game prop.  I agree I wish they showed those who were also around contributing to bob's career ( the ex-models/announcers i know need a tribute of their own).
I hope to catch his last show.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 01:07:54 PM »
In response to The Hurdler's comment — I don't think that, given the remarks in Tuesday's USA Today article (a sidebar article that went along with the retrospective of Bob's career), Bob would ever allow his name to be mentioned in the same breath as Janice Pennington, Dian Parkinson, Kathleen Bradley or Holly Hallstrom. There's just so much ill will there, I just doubt it.

I know he has spoken fondly of Rod Roddy and (to a greater extent) Johnny Olson, and likely has high opinions of his Truth or Consequences co-stars (Dresser and Charles), so their apparent omission is a little puzzling. Although Johnny Olson's  "C'mon down!" was no doubt heard during the "Yolanda" clip.

I doubt you'll ever hear Anitra Ford, the other classic Beauty, but I think that's only because she left the show so long ago and, aside from the show's devoted fans, few people remember her. Same goes with the other subs Barbara and Kyle Odletter.

If I'm wrong, please correct me by all means!

Brian

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »
Triple Play: 1st 2 was obvious, but I would have gone with $35K.  Nicely done by Timnothy.  

Half Off: Another Fine win by Nicole, I thought the money was in 14.

Plinko!: This is why I detest this in primetime: it's a one way ticket to puny winnings.

SC1: SUPER GARF!  That Navigator is AT LEAST $55,000 and the sport boat at least $65,000.

SC2: Another SUPER GARF: That Corvette was at least $60,000.  This will come down to "Who GARFED the least?"

Ah yes, I loved all those clips, particularly the Happy Gilmore one.

The best Primetime Special EVER!

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 01:10:55 PM »
I'm thinkin' that the sound bytes that they added to certain clips were to make the clips seem a little "funnier"--just like one of those blooper shows.  Trust me, I'm still laughin' even now!  :lol:
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »
I'm a little busy right now, so I'm not going to go into too much detail here...but wow.  Amazing episode, and the pricing game lineup was completely insane.  Gotta give major props to CBS, too, for airing the Happy Gilmore fight scene uncensored.

woohookitty wrote:

Has Half-Off been 25K before? I'm thinking no since it's only been around for the last few specials.

It's been done once before -- on MDS 13 back in Season 33.

jjc92787 wrote:

Oh, on Bob's Letterman appearance Wednesday night/Thursday morning, Letterman said that Bob's final show is scheduled for June 15.

John told me about three seconds after Letterman said that that that date is not confirmed.

(Wow...I just used a word three times in a row, and the sentence is still grammatically correct.  :)  )

NicholasM79 wrote:

During the "falling down" clips, why did they have to put Rich saying "Come on Down" on clips that he never would have said them on?

I noticed that, too...but then I realized that they were timing it so that he was saying it while the contestant was falling down, something that Johnny and Rod's calls probably didn't line up with.

leafsfan17 wrote:

And as an added bonus, the local station here in Toronto, SunTV, showed the full credit roll in this special.

Do you have any way to upload that?  It'd be awesome to see.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PaulMiller

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 01:46:47 PM »
This was, wow.  This show is hard to describe.  Aside from the wins, it's hard to do justice to a career like Bob's.  The CBS Art Department did a FANTASTIC job on decorating the set for tonight's bonanza.  The opening montage was awesome, using the various Price music cues behind a photo sideshow.  If you didn't have goosebumps during that open, you don't like Price.

I was expecting to hear the Race Game running music behind some of the crazy ToC races.  

Triple Play had no business showing up.  I'm surprised Roger left Hole In One in the warehouse tonight.  Come on, the Inspiration Putt is one of Bob's signatures.  Barker's last show is going to be mighty hard to watch, whenever CBS decides to air it.

Again, this was AWESOME.

Offline tpir1983

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 01:50:15 PM »
Heck of a show tonight!!! From the great clips, from Truth or Consequences, the fall downs, clip from Bonanza, Adam Sandler, the history of Bob's illustrious television career, and an old school format game we had today, plus a lovely lady named Nicole, this show was AWESOME. I'm glad I DVR'd it from the HD channel, I'm keeping this one for a long time.

Offline leafsfan17

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 01:59:39 PM »
Sorry, Steve, but I didn't tape the special, so I can't help you here. If I had done that, I would have done my best to upload the full credit roll on YouTube.
Dr. Pepper: Not recommended for Skype chats

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »
Before I begin my comments on game play I thought I should give some praises. First off, even though they aren't apart of the show staff, Marc and John. I really didn't know you guys were going to the special until I saw the pics of you guys hanging out at last night's MDS. Everytime you guys are there I really look forward to seeing all of the new pics you have in store for us members. You guys do a splendid job. Hopefully you guys will still go when we get our new host and take more new pictures. Second, The Price is Right staff. They just did an excellent job piecing the show together last night. I don't think they could've did it any better. Third the CBS Art Department. The reason I'm commending them is they did such a wonderful job on last night's set. They must've had such a hard job to do as well. I bet for them it was pretty difficult to paint all of the different pictures on to the big doors, make them look realistic and get every picture painted to the finest detail. Lastly I would like to thank Bob barker for his 50 years of service on Television. Now granted I've only been alive since 1984 and didn't become a hard core dedicated fan until around Season 28 or 29, Obviously didn't get to watch it much prior because of school. But I love watching it every chance I get. I still plan to watch it when he leaves. Once a LFAT, always a LFAT. I even remember last summer I was telling a friend that I had this crazy idea that her and I should scrape up some money and go to the 35th Anniversary premiere. Unfortunately I regret that I wasn't able to go. Hopefully I'll still go someday when we get the new host. Okay on to the game play.

The opening was very cool. I was wondering if they would do the opening like they did in the 25th Anniversary special with Bob being backstage. I really enjoyed seeing the opening clips as well. That was just really special to see.

Triple Play- Roger tried to make this game as easy as possible tonight. The first car was clearly closer to $21,550. $29,620 was just too high. For the 2nd car it was clearly the $25,000+ tag. Now the Cadillac I wasn't 100% sure about. I knew it was either $35,640 or $41,321. The reason I thought $35,640 was logical was because I've seen Cadillacs on the daytime show and primetime specials that weren't $40,000+. But great win anyway. Actually Noah I do believe is the biggest winner in Triple Play history! His score came to $92,426 excluding the IUFB he won.

Half Off- Even though the SPs were higher in Price than normal, it was still a cakewalk in this game as well. And it was nice that Nicole won it. Did anyone notice a trend though when the boxes were going bye-bye. In the first round first all of the yellow boxes went away, with a few others, next all of the blue boxes went away. And then 2 of the remaining 4 pink boxes went away. Weird if you ask me. lol.

Plinko was nice to see. Although I kinda felt bad for Robert because even though he got 4 of the 5 chips, he pretty much stood no chance of getting into the showcase. He would have had to hit the $20,000 at least twice to possibly get in. But at least he walked out with $3,000 more than what he came to CBS with.

Showcases- Splendid! I always get annoyed when they do the more expensive than normal showcase last rather than the first. Tonight the more expensive showcase was first. Actually correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Noah's showcase was the most expensive showcase ever!

And just for everyone's curiosity: If Noah had been a DSW he would've won $303,179. And if Nicole was a DSW she would've won $234,870. Obviously either would've become the biggest winner in Price history. But unfortunately that didn't happen.

Tonight's grade A+++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the way I loved one particular clip during the contestant falls. It was the one where a contestant was running down and out popped a person from their seat and into the aisle, trying to be an idiot on camera causing not only the contestant to fall, but himself as well. A good lesson in why you shouldn't act like an idiot on camera!
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »
Okay. Unfortunately, I did not see the whole special last night (well, I only missed the beginning but saw it this morning), but I did get a good feel to the program.

Triple Play: I thought this would be hard. The only decision I had was to pick between the 35 or 41 for the Caddy.

½ Off: I had to pick the empty box again! ... :headbang:

$100,000 Plinko: My friend had no comment about that dolphin massager. During the chips falling, I once again thought what it would be like if someone can be in the chips like Cleveland and then groan when they land on 0. ... Oh wait, there was no 0 at all. I guess it was a little case of tough luck here.

Showcases: Boy, was my friend amazed at Nicole's Showcase; he really wants that pool table and arcade games. As a matter of fact, mostly all of the prizes were great.

The added extras: I cannot express them in detail, but Bob was right: Whatever seat you're in was ringside when you  see these clips.
All this talk about a Special Guest Star gave me only two choices: Adam Sandler and/or Chuck Norris. It was no surprise to me that Sandler appeared, but I was a little positively surprised to see (most) of the famous Happy Gilmore clip.

Wonderful! Just Wonderful!  :-D
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 04:59:45 PM »
Price in Primetime Game #31
This is the only episode without the words "The Price is Right" in the title.

Showcase #1: Barker's Milestones
Know what, let's do the price of the Lincoln Navigator first: $55,520.  This leaves $68,971 to spend on the following prizes in this showcase:

17 Gold Bars - It's unbelievable that old Jacob would come up with such price: US$12,427, which converts to AU$14,854 if you're using Australian dollars on this trip to Melbourne, which is worth US$12,549 (AU$15,000), both prices on the day of taping.

This is a historic moment:  Not since November 16, 1994 has a trip appeared in the same showcase as a gold bar.  There were six in that particular episode, along with a trip to Hawaii. Another such occasion was in 1978, when a lady named Linda was bidding on a showcase that consists of a gold bar and two trips.  She missed her showcase only $5.  In such situation, I will treat them the same way as I do with double trip showcases.

Eliminator 210 Eagle Vista (upgraded from XP) - It looks like Eliminator boats only appear in showcases with trips and it is also a primetime-only prize.  I have also checked cophers.com, and the price is "Request a quote", which is not a dollar value, so I then checked boattraderonline.com, and there are none.  If there were one listed on the latter weblink, the price would very likely be "call for price", which is also not a dollar value.  So I'm guessing $43,995 here.

Showcase #2 - How Life Has Changed Since 1956
World Poker Tour Pinball Machine - $4,595, and the following prizes are back-to-back-to-back-to-back world premieres on price:
Murrey Amidor Pool Table - $3,700
Madden NFL Arcade Game - $5,995
Sharp Aquus 52" TV - $4,099    
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible, and the last Corvette Convertible in daytime was a 2006 model. - $62,564

And so the GA Systems Soda Fountain has unfortunately been left out even though soda fountains were being used in malt shops back then.

The Primetime Modeling Report Card for May 17, 2007
For this special, here's the scale (inflated 50% from daytime):
Shane - $120,000 and up
High - $90,000-$119,999
Medium - $60,000-$89,999
Low - $30,000-$69,999
Bargain - $29,999 and under

There are 21 prizes totaling $435,565, and now, let's do the hottie:

Here's the same screenshot of Nicole, except this is without the microphone.  It looks like she lost her podium.

This is what Nicole would look like wearing a Dina Bar-el gown:  Click here

Celebrity look-alikes:
With microphone - Kate Bosworth, who was born the day before Plinko's debut (70%)
No microphone - Judy Garland, again (74%), and Bosworth comes up fifth (62%)

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:

leafsfan17 wrote:

And as an added bonus, the local station here in Toronto, SunTV, showed the full credit roll in this special.

Do you have any way to upload that?  It'd be awesome to see.

Ask and ye shall receive :)

Closing Credits at qwizx.com

[color=FF0000]MOD NOTE: Someday, everyone will learn how to properly construct a link. - JC[/color]