Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR Bob Barker Celebration Special 05/17/2007  (Read 38796 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR Bob Barker Celebration Special 05/17/2007
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »
Great show!  Lots of great TPIR clips, ToC clips, and the uncensored Barker-Gilmore tussle.  I'm not surprised that Adam Sandler was the super-secret special guest.

So with the "Happy Gilmore" clip and the Sandler appearance, where the hell was Hole in One?!

PG #1:  Roger must've really wanted to give those three cars away.  That was the easiest TP setup ever.

PG #2:  Yay!  $25,000 Half-Off!  :-P  Only the second time in history that we've played Half for higher stakes, and I'm glad somebody won the 25 large before Bob retires.  I found it pretty funny that when four boxes were left, all four of the said boxes were pink.

PG #3:  WHA?!  Plinko on the same show has Half-Off?!  Two SP games on the same show hasn't happened since April 1998, but never before have two cash/SP games been played on the same show.  I would've replaced Plinko with Hole and brought Sandler out for an inspiration putt.

My showcase bids:
SUV/boat--$132,351
Corvette--$67,493
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »
Wowsa, THANK YOU JAY! :D

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »
This was a totally amazing-fantastic-super-great-exciting-eventful show!! From beginning to end!

Triple Play - It was obvious Roger wanted this won. It was a great way to start off the show. No clangs and whoops though

1/2 off - great win!!! Nicole definetly deserved it. she was a great contestant

Plinko - Not too bad of a payout.

Other - Those clip montages were hilarious. IMO the best clip was the one girl asking her mom for advice in shell game :oldlol: . i loved it. the appearance by Adam Sandler was great. first time i have seen that clip.

Showcases - I didnt really expect either showcase to be that expensive. Great for Nicole on winning!

Grade: 10/10!!!!!

Best Contestant: Nicole

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 10:33:01 PM »
PG #1-Woohoo, nighttime Triple Play and a Cadillac at the end!!  I haven't seen this in so long, I forgot about the rules of this game.  A really easy setup.  Noah cleans up nicely with nearly $100,000 in automobiles!

PG #2-Whoa, Half-Off in primetime as well!  That was an exciting win; I'm glad she won $25,000.

PG #3-What special wouldn't be complete without an appearance of Plinko?  I was hoping that they would maybe bring back the sign one last time, but oh well.  No top slot hit, though, just like the 25th Anniversary.

Showcases-Whoa, they both seriously underbid!

With regards to the rest of the show, it was the best Price is Right I have ever seen!!  The big doors and audience backdrop looked really cool-looking.  Of course, you have your clips of Price stuff, which I was laughing the whole way through.  The story of Bob's life was very neat, and Adam Sandler's poem was priceless.  It was also very cool to see some Truth or Consequences clips.

Wow, if you're gonna go out...man, what a way to go!  Best Price is Right ever!  A+ show (add as many pluses as you want)!
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 11:34:55 PM »
I must say, CBS really put this special together well. The clips were great, the games were good (some surprising). All in all a great hour of fun and reminiscing!

When I saw the Cadillac prices in Triple Play I expected the first price to be the winner. I thought the Cadillac offered was the same one offered in 3 Strikes a few months back that was only about $32,000. I honestly thought Noah lost. Did anyone notice in the opening where Bob talks backstage that you could see part of one of Triple Play's podium?

1/2 Off was definitely a surprise. I expected one quickie game (1RP or Switch?) for 2 cars.

I really was not surprised to see Plinko!, but I did expect after seeing 1/2 Off played that a car game would be third. Awesome that Adam Sandler made a cameo. When I first heard on the commercial that a special guest would be on and then saw Les, I thought whoop-de-doo. Adam Sandler was such a surprise and Bob was genuinely surprised too.

The showcases were awesome. I loved the 2nd showcase where they showed Rachel in B&W like she was in the 50's. I hope the backdrop for the Corvette in the 2nd Showcase carries over to daytime. That was cool and definitely needs to stay!

Overall: 100/100

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
I've said so much about the show itself already that I have to admit that the games themselves became somewhat secondary. For me, it was about the walks down memory lane, love for Bob, and of course Adam Sandler dropping by! :D

It was a thrill to see Triple Play in person (now that just leaves Golden Road as far as the Big Three). This setup, though, was a vintage case of what I call Santa Dob - he had presents he wanted to give out. The first two cars I definitely knew, and when I saw that insane $11,000 gap between price #3 and #4 on the Caddy, I knew that was done so the third (and right one) would scream "PICK ME!"

Easy setup or not, what a thrill to watch that game be played - and won - in person.

I also loved finally seeing 1/2 Off, though it scared me. What a heartbreak it could be if we got it down to two boxes (which was obviously going to happen with THAT setup) and have Nicole pick the wrong box!

Starcade got a laugh out of the fact that after loudly screaming out prizes during the SP portion, I just sat there and shrugged come time to pick a box. As I told him, I may know that cereal dispenser is $40, I may know what's half off, but I don't know what's behind card #1 on Spelling Bee, nor know where Roger hid the money in 1/2 Off.

I am glad that not that she did pick the right box, but that she and Bob had so much fun dropping the bills on each other.. :oldlol:

Plinko was, well, Plinko. While I was hoping for the best for Robert, this was not the game I wanted to see to close out the pricing games for today. Not only because I've seen it three times in six tapings (to that point), but in a format like this, Robert was going to need to drop two chips into the middle to get himself in the Showcases. Considering how infrequently this seems to happen anymore, Robert looked like he had one and done written all over him.

Nothing like a FRB in Showcase #1. As usual, I could not hear Rich's description on the boat - and even if I did, it wouldn't have done much. I was thinking $95,000, though I was thinking this could be anywhere from about $80,000 to $115,000 (I didn't quite think it'd be THAT high).

Another Corvette? First I couldn't quit attracting One Away, now it's 'Vettes. I'll stick with the latter!

But, I knew Nicole's bid didn't even cover the car. I was shouting for her to bid $75,000..

Of course, didn't matter much if she had, or went $50,000 as she did. Noah was even further off than I thought he'd be... FRB.

A truly priceless day for Nicole - $25,000 and a Corvette, among other goodies. And a special, touching day for the rest of us.

I'll say it before, and I'll say it again: What a thrill to be there!

And I'll say one last thing: If anyone on this forum ever gets to be a contestant, and plays for a Corvette, and I'm in the audience, don't worry. They've offered three Corvettes so far with me in the audience, and the contestant has won it all three times! :oldlol:
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
WOW!! One word to describe Thursday's SUPER special!!!

The set looked really awesome. I enjoyed all the great TPIR and ToC clips. Bob on "Bonanza" was a real delight. Les Moonves gave a really good speech and the audience wished Bob all the best so sweet. When Adam Sandler dropped by, I was speechless. Adam was being himself by giving a hilarious poem and Bob laughed out loud. I didn't mind the "Happy Gilmore" clip in its incensored glory. The interview segment was really unique and showed how much Bob had a wonderful career and a strong advocate for animal rights. The opening was very neat, too.

Triple: This looked like one of the most simpleist playings of this game ever. Noah nailed it good by taking home three FABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBulous cars!!!!

1/2 Off: Seeing this game was a surprise and Nicole earned herself $25K much deservedly by playing really well.

Plinko: No surprise. Well, $3K is better than nothing at all.

Showcases: The 1st showcase was very entertaining. Rachel is fine in Black and White!!! :-D I bidded around $118,000. The 2nd was also very nice. Despite two lowball bids, It was great and Nicole will never forget this experience nailing over $110K.

This was an amazing celebration of Bob and this deserves to be the best TPIR Primetime Special...Period.

I give this one 5,000 Stars!!!!! :-D  :hammer:  :D  ;-)

Offline Jordan7

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 01:28:28 AM »
Even though this show was only 3 pricing games, it was really really good.

First, the pricing games: Triple Play was extremely easy, and so was Half Off. Two great wins for an already awesome show. Cool, Plinko shows up also. Two cash and small prize games. I was kind of mad that they couldn't do 6 pricing games in a 2-hour show with the addition of the montage of clips, because I believe CBS didn't need to include the second CSI episode at 10:00. They easily could have put this from 8 to 10, and the CSI finale at 10.

All of the clips were great to see. I laughed at a lot of them. Happy Gilmore uncensored was great also, and so was Adam Sandler appearing and creating an awesome poem dedicated to Bob.

Best Contestant- Nicole

Showcase #1- $95,000
Difference- $29,491

Showcase #2- $77,000
Difference- $3953

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 09:14:36 AM »
I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this, but the William Tell Overture (AKA the Hurdles cue) was played tonight!  A great treat!
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing the William Tell Overture, but I don't remember when it was played.  So, when was it played?

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 12:24:25 PM »
JokerFan wrote:

So, when was (William Tell Overture) played?

It was the part in which they showed a clip of Bob making a contestant solemnly swear that she won't do him bodily harm!  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »
This was one awesome special!

It was really great that the half-hour gameplay format was used for the first time in eleven years.  It had a nice old-school feeling for it and I thought Bob should have one more half-hour format show before he leaves for good.

This is also the first time in eleven years Bob wore a tuxedo, he looked great in it!

Triple Play was extremely easy, it looks like Roger wanted this won on such a big night.  The first choice for the Mustang convertible was lower than one of the price choices for the Avenger for Pete's sake.  The Cadillac was easy to win-a big car like that costs at least $40K.

It was great to see ½ Off won on that night.  I loved it when all the money fell out of the box and onto the stage after she won.

I really liked all the clips that were shown.  I was laughing hard at the Samonan contestants and people falling or getting hurt when they were coming on down, I thought it was hilarious.

It was very nice for Les Moonves to appear and give Bob a fond farewell.  That's probably what Mark Goodson would do if he was still alive today.

Ever since I saw Happy Gilmore  I knew an appearance by Adam Sandler was inevitable.  I was surprised that the clip was aired uncensored since this was a family show.  "The price is wrong, b****!" is probably why the show got a PG rating.

I really liked the showcases, as they showed a nice black and white image of a living room in the 1950s and the nice Corvette, the third Lincoln Navigator the show offered, and that huge speedboat.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 08:19:41 PM »
The opening, with Bob next to the Bob Barker Studio plaque, was shot live to tape along with the rest of the episode. Bob shot that opening and then while the clips were playing, they removed the hedges obscuring our view of the Mustang, closed the cyc (large back curtain), and Bob was in place to make his entrance in time for Rich's introduction. Bob's opening wasn't pre-taped.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

MSTieScott wrote:
The opening, with Bob next to the Bob Barker Studio plaque, was shot live to tape along with the rest of the episode. Bob shot that opening and then while the clips were playing, they removed the hedges obscuring our view of the Mustang, closed the cyc (large back curtain), and Bob was in place to make his entrance in time for Rich's introduction. Bob's opening wasn't pre-taped.

Wow...that is amazing.

Just yet another reason why Price's production staff is the best on television. :)
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Jeremy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 05:44:13 AM »
This was one of my favorite Price primetime specials. Some of the clips were the same ones we've seen on every other price clip montage, but there were many new ones, and on top of that, some really great ones. I loved how they showed the Happy Gilmore clip and that Adam Sandler came out to see Bob. I always love to see Triple Play won, and seeing Plinko is ALWAYS a treat. I do however, have one question. Why is it that ppl think BOB said "The Price is Wrong...B****!". Bob said: "Now you've had enough....B****." I think Bob should have said "The Price is RIGHT, b****!" when he finished off Adam, that woulda been great! Overall, amazing primetime special.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~