Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/2/2020 (TPiR at Night Season 49 Preview 2: The Neighborhood)  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Cedric’s Showcase bid was one of the worst I’ve seen in a long time, $20,560? That’s not even remotely close to the price of the truck, let alone the other items. I guess we’ll chalk that one up to celebrities just being out there to have fun and not necessarily understanding/ caring about the rules.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Wonder what would've happened if Beth and Beth-Again had both made it to the showcases? :lol:
She wouldn't have been selected again if she made it to the Showcase already.

Forgot about the stand for the Plinko chips-- a good solution rather than the model handing to the chips to the contestant I suppose.
This time around, I noticed that they added a stand for five Plinko chips, and yet when Rachel flipped the right price for the SPs, another chip would still be there.
It would've looked weird for there to be no chip in the slot, though I guess they could've put WIN! and the price of the SP into separate squares.

Also, only James handled both sides of the 1/2 Off SP stand. However, It's in the Bag was still handled in the same manner as before, with both models placing the GPs on the main table.
It looks like there's more distance between the sides of the GP display in Bag than the SP display in 1/2 Off, so six feet apart was possible for Bag but not 1/2 Off I guess.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
I think we just learned why, during Celebrity Charity Weeks, the celebrities rarely offer pricing suggestions.

Interesting that the show went to the effort to keep the models from touching the Plinko chips that the contestant would use, but Drew still retrieved the chips from the bottom of the board with his bare hands (although the show was careful to edit around showing him doing that). I guess that answers my question of how they're going to be able to pull off Dice Game.

I hope everybody enjoyed seeing seven people who all work together (and who, presumably, all get regular COVID tests together) gather around the showcase prizes at the end of the episode, because that's the only time it's going to happen all season.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards

Heh, of course. Why didn't I think of that?  :oldlol:
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Interesting that the show went to the effort to keep the models from touching the Plinko chips that the contestant would use, but Drew still retrieved the chips from the bottom of the board with his bare hands (although the show was careful to edit around showing him doing that). I guess that answers my question of how they're going to be able to pull off Dice Game.

Not only that but why it was a concern with the chips but the model still picks up the 1/2 off box and then the contestant opens it.  Seems they could have just had the model put the chips from the prizes on a small stand by the stairs, then had the contestant pick them up after the model left (which would be the same as the box worked).

Offline rockyboy34

• In the Audience
  • This gives me life.
Great job to the Neighborhood cast for raising $100K+ to charity.

It was a bit weird to do a celebrity show since prizes are a key part of the show, but enjoyable overall.

7/10

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
4.19 million viewers tuned in to see this episode last night.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
I know the answer is "it's against the spirit of the game" and they wouldn't do it anyways, but since the winning showcase's cash value was donated to charity, wouldn't the optimal play be bidding $1 on the first showcase, and then either $20,000 or $80,000, if the second showcase felt more or less expensive, respectively?

"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
I think this was an okay attempt at a Celeb Only special, but perhaps this was part of the reason why we haven't seen celebs regularly compete on Price since the final season of Bill Cullen's version.

I understand why they made it an all-cash show, but perhaps instead of flooding their servers with giveaways, they could've done something neat and brought back the Play Along. Advertise for people to enter in before the taping and have each IUFB/game and the Showcases be played by the celebs for someone at home. The celebs get the cash equivalent of the prizes, the Play Along gets the prizes. Though I suppose it would've been hard to advertise that with no current daytime episodes currently airing and relying mainly on social media to spread the word. So, it'd be a cool thing to try down the road.

Because they were all celebs and all apart of the same cast, I was okay with calling down the SCSD losers from the first half again for a second chance. Reminds me of playing BigJon's Price with friends. I also would've been fine with just letting few people with compete in the IUFBs as the show went on, but this played out okay.

I wonder if they planned on subbing in Secret X whenever Hank made it up on stage since Drew made it a point to mention how they were going to play a "kids game." But maybe it was all just coincidence.

I know the answer is "it's against the spirit of the game" and they wouldn't do it anyways, but since the winning showcase's cash value was donated to charity, wouldn't the optimal play be bidding $1 on the first showcase, and then either $20,000 or $80,000, if the second showcase felt more or less expensive, respectively?
I wouldn't be surprised if they stressed the DSW rule as a reason to go for it and try to ace the showcase as best they can, but as stated by Scott...

I think we just learned why, during Celebrity Charity Weeks, the celebrities rarely offer pricing suggestions.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
Just caught this this morning, I thought it was good for what it was.  The all-celebs playing for charity isn't a format I'd want to see all the time but it's fine once in a while.  The repeat contestants towards the end was a bit weird but it did at least somewhat mitigate the issue of later players getting fewer chances to get on stage.

Nice to see they've finally got a use for the spare set of Plinko chips.

Eh, maybe they could've taken a page out of the 1990 computer game's book.   :oldlol: