Author Topic: Mount Rushmore of game show hosts  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Mount Rushmore of game show hosts
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2024, 05:26:38 PM »
A 3+ year bump to this thread, but since no one's complaining, I'll chip in my two cents. I did a little research and my picks represent how the Rushmore Presidents were chosen.

1. Ralph Edwards
2. Bill Cullen
3. Bob Barker
4. Alex Trebek

They represent the birth, growth, development, and preservation of the game show genre.
I think that's a fine Mount Rushmore. Four of the greatest men involved in the genre.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2024, 05:54:14 PM »
For the future, don't bump the threads that old, but I'll at least give mine:

1. Bob Barker (even with the fact he had his clear misognystic moments, the dude was the epitome of game show host.)
2. Alex Trebek (one of the smartest game show hosts ever, one of the most popular and one of the most respected in multiple areas.)
3. John Charles Daly (This one might get me some flack, but JCD was a fantastic game show host. He was personable to everyone from contestants to celebrities. He hosted What's My Line to absolute perfection. Of the non Bill Cullen hosts, he'd be my pick for best host of the 1950s. (I'm not a big Bud Collyer fan.))
4. Bill Cullen (I just name dropped him, but the man was the most flexible game show host in American history. He always took a job with absolute dedication, no matter the format or the concept. If there's a definition of Mr. Game Show Host, it was him.)

I'd have to think for 5-8.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2024, 07:53:52 PM »
I think you and I agree for the most part.  I'd probably swap out JCD for Tom Kennedy.  That's JMO; while his hosting stints from TPIR and Password weren't super-long, when you host a show while filling large shoes & you make it look routine, that's a big plus for me.  Helps that Tom was great everywhere else
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck