Studio 46 - Non-TPiR Discussion > Out In Left Field

Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post

<< < (3/103) > >>

imhomerjay:
Because social media makes things bigger than they appear to be. There is no one who would be universally the first choice. Some Twitter complainers will make their voices seem bigger than they are.

Guaranteed the same thing would have happened in 1984 had social media been around. The guy from High Rollers filling the shows of the great Art Fleming? Blasphemy! And yet it worked out fine.

blozier2006:

--- Quote from: imhomerjay on November 24, 2020, 12:49:55 PM ---... the same thing would have happened in 1984...

--- End quote ---
The same thing did happen in 1984, from critics in newspapers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHWqOb2FiZV/?igshid=1cb9afcu751ww

Dug up this @OldTakesExposed from TV syndicated columnist Gary Deeb in 1983, telling his readers that new Jeopardy host is “unremarkable.”

Only became the longest running game show host of a single show, Gary. #RIPAlexTrebek pic.twitter.com/AFiZ674xby— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) November 9, 2020
--- End quote ---
?s=19

TinoStar11:
Speak of Ken Jennings , he got nominated today for a Grammy for best spoken word album for his work doing the Alex Trebek The Answer Is audiobook

SeaBreeze341:
While I don't know nor do I care what makes Jennings very polarizing, it comes as no surprise that people would have this thought about him.  I have seen people express their dislike based on his political views.  Some have outright admitted it; others, as is their custom, have not (stating it isn't about that or has nothing to do with it).

My apologies for bringing it up if it was a problem, but that is the definitive reason why people are turned off (outside of the fact that Ken isn't Alex).  I'll be too occupied watching him in action as the host or a host of Jeopardy!

That's Social Media for you.  Or the media in general.  IMO, all Twitter complainers will make their voices bigger.  Charles Barkley said it best: "Twitter is for losers & stupid people that need a platform to express their vision.  If you wake up in the morning and the first thing you do is to worry about what I'm doing then you're an idiot." 

Sir Charles was probably a little more harsh than the quote.  The fact is Trebek's episodes are still airing, Ken Jennings hasn't even taped his first episode, and people are already bitter.  It's complaining for the sake of complaining, period

gamesurf:
On camera, he's fine. He reads clues well.

But he can come across as an a bit of a douchecanoe. (And I'm not only talking about his tweets--I've had the opportunity to meet the guy in person and own two of his books, which I really enjoyed. He's a great conversationalist, and frequently hilarious, but he also comes across as guy who thinks his intelligence justifies him being a dick.)

This is coming from somebody who generally likes Ken and hopes there's a long-term place for him in the show--just not replacing one of the most empathetic and gracious figures on television.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version