6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 105166 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2021, 11:43:26 PM »
They went through with it. I didn't think it was possible for one show to destroy its own legacy so quickly.
Considering this is Sony we're talking about, I figured it was just a matter of time.

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2021, 12:22:18 AM »
I’m going to say this: Oz (and I don’t see him deserving the “Dr.” title) is the anti-Trebek. While Trebek had class, dignity, and humility, Oz exudes none of these things. In fact, he makes me appreciate Ken even more, which I think is the one good thing to come out of this.

That said, I doubt this one decision would destroy the show’s legacy. Remember, Price went through worse.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:24:39 AM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »
Jeopardy has announced on their webpage that Katie Couric's hosting dates will be from March 8 to March 19. Nothing yet on the air dates of when the other guest hosts will host besides a certain TV doctor's guest hosting as the site lists them as TBD.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
Dr. Oz takes over March 22, while Aaron Rodgers takes the helm April 5. Everyone else is TBA.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »
Looking online it seems Mike Richards at the helm was a popular choice. Some I’ve seen have been telling them to make him Alex’s replacement. I personally haven’t seen his Jeopardy! hosting yet but I liked him on The Pyramid.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
He's definitely decent I'd say.  Perhaps a bit less nervous then Ken Jennings was, likely because of his past experience.  He does inject a little bit of personality into the game but I don't think he detracts from it at all.  I'd like to see some of the other guest hosts, but it would not upset me if he ended up with the hosting job.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2021, 12:46:34 PM »
(If it was) Just between the two of them, I would rather see Ken become the permanent host over Mike. I think Ken has really earned it, and he did a great job.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
If that were the scenario, and Ken wanted the gig, I’d say the same. I hope, whether we see them or not, that they are taking a serious look at a range of candidates, and not just middle aged white men.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2021, 06:55:24 PM »
(If it was) Just between the two of them, I would rather see Ken become the permanent host over Mike. I think Ken has really earned it, and he did a great job.

I think they both do fine, but Mike seems a little robotic to me. I do like the way he more frequently will explain the context of a particularly obscure clue, but he looks like a guy who is reading from a script in his head rather than just being himself. If he had the same kind of personality on camera that he had on his old podcast, I think he'd be great.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2021, 10:36:29 PM »
Do you think Dan Patrick would take a shot at hosting the mothership after hosting the sports version?
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2021, 10:56:55 PM »
Do you think Dan Patrick would take a shot at hosting the mothership after hosting the sports version?

I guess it would depend on whether it's more or less demanding than what his duties were when he hosted FNIA (Football Night In America).  TBH despite a rather long-shot, I can't see his show moving out of Connecticut for Jeopardy, nor do I see production moving near or close to the New England area to accommodate him
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2021, 11:00:22 PM »

More to the point I see no reason the show needs to ask him.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2021, 11:24:51 PM »
More to the point I see no reason the show needs to ask him.

I don't think he WANTS it at this point either. He's gone on record on his show in the past when Alex was still alive, that he didn't want his job after he retired, he even told Alex that over dinner. I don't imagine that's changed now, although I could be wrong I suppose.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2021, 01:11:48 AM »
I’ll be honest. I didn’t like Dan Patrick hosting Sports Jeopardy. He took the game too seriously and showed annoyance when no one rang in on a clue.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »
I think they both do fine, but Mike seems a little robotic to me. I do like the way he more frequently will explain the context of a particularly obscure clue, but he looks like a guy who is reading from a script in his head rather than just being himself. If he had the same kind of personality on camera that he had on his old podcast, I think he'd be great.
I like the way you phrased that: “reading from a script in his head rather than just being himself”. I feel about the same way. I have watched shows that Mike has hosted before; he just doesn’t come off as genuine to me.