6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 104230 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2021, 07:13:37 PM »
I'm sorry but Bill Whitaker's first few episodes have no flow to them. It sure sounds like they went back and heavily edited or retaped nearly everything he said.

Offline kishy214

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Allen's Rock Band Videos on Youtube
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
I'm sorry but Bill Whitaker's first few episodes have no flow to them. It sure sounds like they went back and heavily edited or retaped nearly everything he said.

The champion from Whitaker's first show said on Reddit that it took nearly two hours to tape that first show. Pickups all over the place.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2021, 01:38:40 PM »
Broadcasting and Cable/Multichannel News published a Q&A with Mike Richards on the guest host search. And here are some highlights from it.
  • From early on, they came up with a list of qualities that this person should have. The list wasn’t about what they shouldn’t be, knowing that no one would check every box.  What they want in the host is: wanting them to be credible, a good voice, feel like they were caring for the contestants and be on the contestants’ side, and to present the show in a manner, and the need to have a little bit of a sense of humor.
  • They are looking at everyone and consider the data and analytics, testing and focus groups, and ultimately who we think the correct person is in the long term. Mike’s role is not to choose the person, and he is to make everyone as great as they can be as the host.
  • The show is not looking for a three-year host but looking for a 10-year or a 20-year host. Richards says that stability is one of the show’s strengths; they have to consider who’s got a 20-year horizon who can focus on the show. And make it great over that time.]
  • Mike spoke for an hour with Live With Kelly And Ryan producer Michael Gelman about that show’s guest host processes. With Gelman giving him the upsides and downsides of the process. Richards also explained that Gelman also told him that he has to be ready for bad press. The chosen person has to be resilient when beaten up while alluding to Drew Carey's early years on Price.
  • Though some of the episodes won’t have aired, they will have the permanent host in place by the end of July or early August. They have also already been doing lots of research on all of the guest hosts.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2021, 02:14:10 PM »
They are looking at... focus groups
Translation: they don't have a frigging clue what they're doing.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2021, 03:12:00 PM »
Focus groups are an established and valuable tool, among many, that can serve them well. There is no indication a passing reference to making use of them is somehow not knowing what they’re doing. They should be looking at many things. It ain’t 1984 any longer.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2021, 05:59:34 PM »
  • They are looking at everyone and consider the data and analytics, testing and focus groups, and ultimately who we think the correct person is in the long term. Mike’s role is not to choose the person, and he is to make everyone as great as they can be as the host.
  • The show is not looking for a three-year host but looking for a 10-year or a 20-year host. Richards says that stability is one of the show’s strengths; they have to consider who’s got a 20-year horizon who can focus on the show. And make it great over that time.]

This is the concern I have. Countdown in the United Kingdom has suffered from massive host changes since death of longtime hosting stalwart Sir Richard Whiteley in 2005. In the 16 years since Whiteley's death, the show has gone through 4 permanent hosts (Des Lynam, Des O'Connor, Jeff Stelling and Nick Hewer) and 1 standby host (Colin Murray) due to the COVID19 crisis and Nick Hewer's advanced age (77). I was never a fan of Nick Hewer for the 9 years he served (the longest of any of the 4 replacements). Now 76-year old Anne Robinson of The Weakest Link fame is taking over. They've not been able to find a strong compliment to Suzie Dent and Rachel Riley, the current lithographer and board runner that comes anywhere close to the repertoire and camaraderie of Whiteley, Dent and Carol Vorderman. There's some of it in 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, the version hosted by Jimmy Carr, but that's only for specials. My major problem with Hewer is he always seemed to just be there for the sake of getting a check. Always seem detached and dull, whereas Whiteley was interactive and a very raw Alex Trebek level humour. I don't imagine Anne Robinson is going to last long hosting it either, another kick in the foot.

Jeopardy brass, Sony brass, etc, has got to find the person who can serve-long term, but keep the chemistry of the concept going in a way that is similar, but does not have to be 100% Alex Trebek.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:02:06 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2021, 07:28:03 PM »
They are looking at everyone and consider the data and analytics, testing and focus groups, and ultimately who we think the correct person is in the long term. Mike’s role is not to choose the person, and he is to make everyone as great as they can be as the host.

I have no inside knowledge about what's going on at J!, but the fact that Mike is repeatedly saying in interviews that he has little to no involvement in the selection of the host, combined with the way he very deliberately avoided answering a question about whether he is a contender for the permanent hosting job, suggests he still wants to be considered for the permanent hosting job.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2021, 09:17:33 PM »
Those two things do not follow to mean anything about what he does or doesn’t want.

Two plus two does not equal seven.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2021, 09:34:14 PM »
Aaron Rodgers was on tonight's episode of The Conners. Jackie was on the show as a contestant and tried to sweet talk him after she finished Double Jeopardy! with a negative score.

Offline GameShowsRule95

• Outside in Line
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2021, 09:55:55 PM »
Aaron Rodgers was on tonight's episode of The Conners. Jackie was on the show as a contestant and tried to sweet talk him after she finished Double Jeopardy! with a negative score.

Wow that was a pointless post.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »
Wow that was a pointless post.

It's relevant. The fact that Aaron Rodgers was popular enough as J! host that it's being done in sitcoms is a good sign.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2021, 10:11:26 PM »
Those two things do not follow to mean anything about what he does or doesn’t want.

Maybe I'm off-base, but I have enough experience to know the signs of a "non-denial denial." Answering a simple, forward-looking question with a convoluted and largely irrelevant past tense answer is exactly what I would do right now if I were in Mike's position and wanted to keep my hat in the ring. Coming right out and saying I was still in the running would turn into a news story in itself, and would undoubtedly displease my bosses at a time I was trying to win their favor.

The fact that Aaron Rodgers was popular enough as J! host that it's being done in sitcoms is a good sign.

My understanding is that he happened to be the guest host who was working when The Conners recorded that episode. There was nothing more to it than that.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2021, 10:16:06 PM »
Still doesn't mean the poster has to be rude about the statement which is what I had a problem with.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2021, 11:01:41 PM »
My understanding is that he happened to be the guest host who was working when The Conners recorded that episode. There was nothing more to it than that.

That was about what I figured when I saw the ad for the episode earlier. I was actually surprised they did it, given the state of flux the show is/was in then. But yeah I'd not read into it any more than that. I could be wrong, but.....I don't think so.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2021, 11:12:02 PM »
I know he has the Chase but just give it to Ken