6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 106365 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts
« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »
Ken has reasonably taken this about as far as anyone can. He won the GOAT. I’m not sure how many more times they could reasonably trot him out there anyway.

It’s entirely possible the senior leadership at Sony feel Mike is the better fit. Of course that’s subjective no matter who is chosen, but it isn’t in and of itself proof of anything more nefarious. In the absence of actual evidence, as compared adding one plus one and getting five, that’s what we have to work with.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2021, 05:07:47 PM »
I don't know if Jennings was "retiring" as a contestant on Jeopardy!  However, if he feels like he had no shot I don't know if he should've agreed to host in the first place

Wouldn't he not be eligible anyway, being he was already working for them before he guest hosted?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2021, 07:31:54 PM »
Wouldn't he not be eligible anyway, being he was already working for them before he guest hosted?

Yeah he wouldn't be.  Though I didn't think of that since I figured that he was working for them prior to the GOAT special.  I don't know exactly when Ken started but I figured that they would've waived that rule for special circumstances.

As mentioned, I think Jennings has done more than all he can do as it relates to the show as a player.  A match against Matt Amodio is sorta unnecessary, there will be future super champions in the years and decades to come.  There's no need for Ken (or even Brad) to face off against them just for the sake of finding out who's the best Jeopardy player ever.

Ken has nothing to prove.  He is the goat, but to be fair to Rutter, Jennings can be defeated (convincingly).  Like you said, he'd be ineligible, and I imagine so even if he were to quit the show
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #273 on: August 09, 2021, 12:27:54 AM »
I think Jennings has done more than all he can do as it relates to the show as a player . . . . . Ken has nothing to prove.

I wonder if Ken would want to compete again, in any context, given that the host will be someone other than Alex.  Is it reasonable to speculate that, even though it's still his beloved Jeopardy and the gameplay would be exactly the same, it wouldn't be the same for him without Alex behind the lectern?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #274 on: August 09, 2021, 01:33:17 AM »
^He's already said he's done competing on Jeopardy! after the GOAT. This was even before he was brought onto the staff.

It might be the lows of Richards in the article, but David Faber was my favorite host so far. I was shocked by how natural he was. My vote's now for him.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
Now that it's come around that the sacred cow lied about the circumstances surrounding how he got to be a guest host...

Mike said Ken wasn't available for a taping week because he was obliged to be at The Chase, and Mike stepped in because there was not an easy way to bring another guest host to Los Angeles during the height of the pandemic on short notice. You have proof that wasn't the case?

As #9281 noted, Ken made very clear after winning the GOAT that he did not intend to appear ever again as a contestant. Maybe he was already considering taking a job with the show, but it was primarily because, now that he's in his late 40s, he could sense his quick recall trivia skills waning. Take it from me, your ability to quickly and consistently grab facts out of the recesses of your brain recedes as you get older, and he didn't see a need to continue competing knowing that he was only going to get worse at playing the game over time.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2021, 12:57:24 PM »
Two Jeopardy! items related to the host search to report this early afternoon.

From The Ringer's Claire McNear on Twitter, Mike has sent the following 1424765285215744010[/tweet]]statement to the staff today about the allegations during his tenure at Price that resurfaced towards the end of last week.

And also, here's an article from The Seattle Times interviewing past champions on their thoughts on Mike Richards and the host search.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #277 on: August 09, 2021, 12:57:28 PM »
Which all makes his GOAT win more impressive.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2021, 05:57:46 PM »
Mike said Ken wasn't available for a taping week because he was obliged to be at The Chase, and Mike stepped in because there was not an easy way to bring another guest host to Los Angeles during the height of the pandemic on short notice. You have proof that wasn't the case?

First, the quote in question, which apparently came from Mike's first episode (source one) (source two):

But with the Covid outbreak here in LA, folks were understandably a little reticent to shoot. Ken Jennings did a great job, but he’s unavailable due to obligations with his show The Chase so as the producer my job is to quite literally live the mantra: the show must go on.

I don't know when that episode taped, but it aired on February 22.

The Chase began taping on May 1.

To play devil's advocate, "obligations" could refer to some other contractual aspect. But Jennings' unavailability definitely wasn't because of a taping conflict.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #279 on: August 09, 2021, 10:24:14 PM »
Hi r/Jeopardy brigadiers, since someone decided to post an image of the above anonymously there! I promise we don't bite.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #280 on: August 09, 2021, 10:59:03 PM »

I don't know when that episode taped, but it aired on February 22.

The Chase began taping on May 1.

My guess is that the conflict may have been with taping season 1 of The Chase as it premiered in January and may very well have been taping around the time Jeopardy was taping?
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »
My guess is that the conflict may have been with taping season 1 of The Chase as it premiered in January and may very well have been taping around the time Jeopardy was taping?

The Chase season 1 taped the beginning of November, before Jeopardy returned to taping.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #282 on: August 10, 2021, 01:51:11 AM »
Because I misremembered when season one of The Chase aired, I didn't think to check for that. So in the interest of completeness:

According to 1327016514143154176[/tweet]]this tweet from Ken Jennings, season one of The Chase was in full swing by November 12. According to 1330346505539104768[/tweet]]this tweet from James Holzhauer, the first season finished taping by November 21. As stated in 1330996342865293313[/tweet]]this tweet, Jeopardy! did not resume taping until November 30.

As a couple of people in the Reddit thread that linked to this thread speculated, it's possible that the "obligations" may have involved publicity for that first season of The Chase, which debuted on January 7. I didn't immediately find any Chaser publicity appearances from that time frame, but I also did not search thoroughly (none of the Chasers nor the show's official account retweeted any special promotional appearances during that week, that's all I know).
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline kishy214

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Allen's Rock Band Videos on Youtube
« Reply #283 on: August 10, 2021, 10:30:22 AM »
Hi r/Jeopardy brigadiers, since someone decided to post an image of the above anonymously there! I promise we don't bite.

More of the J! folks here should check out this subreddit. Great insights, and a wonderfully active community.

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #284 on: August 10, 2021, 11:09:14 AM »
Overall, I think Joe Buck's first show as guest host was a solid showing. His announcer voice really showed here, providing eloquent readings of the clue. He also seemed to have some decent chemistry with the contestants.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie