6 (2.7%)
Levar Burton
12 (5.3%)
David Faber
26 (11.5%)
Joe Buck
8 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post  (Read 106447 times)

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Jeopardy! Post-Alex Discussion Post
« Reply #390 on: August 24, 2021, 10:24:20 AM »
TMZ (I know...) is reporting its Mayim or bust and are willing to make mountains move to allow it to work.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/24/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-accommodating-schedule-want-her-full-time/

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #391 on: August 24, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
Seems like the sources who claim it's Ken's job to lock up and those saying it's hers need to get their stories straight.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #392 on: August 24, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
Agreed.  Plus, if whomever is planning on doing everything in their power to have Mayim succeed Alex outright, then good for them.  However, if that's the case, I'm curious as to how it was "impossible" to accommodate Rodgers.  During the regular season, forget about it, but in the off-season, there would've been the possibility.  Furthermore, Aaron is close to being done with his NFL career.  In addition, he's nearly a decade younger than Bialik.  Not that the particular age gap matters that much between the two.

That being said, Mayim would be the better choice over Aaron.  More popular?  Probably not, but if the former can get it to work, then I think she'll commit forever moreso than the latter.

Finally, between those reports from TMZ and whomever, all I'll say is whatever.  I'll believe whoever ends up being Trebek's successor when I see it
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #393 on: August 24, 2021, 12:31:30 PM »
I know the article uses phrases like “whatever it takes,” and that’s par for the course in these types of unsourced articles. But I take that with a big shaker of salt. Working on two shows in the same city (I’m assuming her comedy is based in LA?) is a bit different than an NFL player.

Obviously the ship has sailed for this season. But even if he’s got only another year or two after this left in his playing years, the changes his schedule would take seem more significant to a show like Jeopardy than working around a sitcom shooting schedule, especially one with only 13 episodes ordered.

Subjectively, I think she was much better than he, but know that opinion is worth precisely nothing.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #394 on: August 24, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
Though I really didn't care for either of these guest hosts, I suspect that either Mayim Bialik or LeVar Burton will be the next permanent host of Jeopardy! One's race or gender should not be a factor, but Sony has long been facing heavy pressure to hire a woman or person of color for this role, pressure of which has only intensified in light of Mike Richards' deplorable comments. (Before I continue, I want to make clear that I abhor white identity politics every much as the politics of the "woke.") It is also possible that Laura Coates, whom Alex Trebek actually mentioned as a preferred potential successor, may be given the hosting job. At the very least, she should have an opportunity to guest host. Another person Alex specifically mentioned--Alex Faust (a white male)--also deserves to serve as guest host.

It's possible that Burton was never truly considered to be one of the small handful of true finalists due to his age. But at 64, he could still host Jeopardy! for 15+ years (given that both Trebek and Bob Barker stopped hosting their game shows in their early-80s). Many people have also mentioned that he was awful as host. To be honest, I didn't see his episodes, though I don't think he is the best fit for the show. But to be fair to Burton, who knows how much Richards was able to edit or otherwise sabotage Burton's episodes to make him look bad. And while Burton's shows performed terribly in the Nielsen ratings, those episodes had the misfortune of airing during the Olympics.

I would love for David Faber to be named permanent host, but him being a white male who lives on the East Coast are all factors going against his selection. I've already elaborated upon my opinion that it is feasible for Jeopardy! to hire someone whose permanent residence is 3,000 miles from Los Angeles. I also think that Faber hosting is feasible from CNBC's point of view as well. (Obviously, there may be something in his contract with CNBC that forbids that, but none of us knows the details of his contract.) Faber would undoubtedly have to be (on average) away from his job as co-host of Squawk on the Street one week each month. But CNBC has a very deep bench of people who could fill that void, and Faber's presence on set isn't as critical for that show as it its for other news programs. In the cases of Savannah Guthrie, Anderson Cooper, George Stephanopoulos, Robin Roberts, Joe Buck, and Aaron Rodgers, their presence is simply too critical for them to be away from their show(s) or otherwise primary employment. The fact that all these people were guest hosts, of course, only strengthens my belief that this process was largely a sham, especially given what we now know about Richards' machinations.

As I've indicated previously, Ken Jennings is a close second in my choice for Jeopardy! host. I do not think he will get it, partly because he is a white male. But I think that Jennings is also hurt by the fact that he is a remnant of the Trebek era. No Sony executive would ever say this publicly, but the company most likely wants to take Jeopardy! in a "new direction" to appeal to a new generation of viewers. (For that matter, Faber also has this strike against him, since his hosting style is so much like that of Trebek.) Now, I personally am strongly opposed to taking "new directions" for television properties that have been successful for decades. But this is exactly what the powers that be did with TPIR after Bob Barker retired. If memory serves me correctly, Roger Dobkowitz thought that Mark Walberg was a perfect replacement for Barker because he had so many of Barker's great qualities. But those in charge saw in Drew Carey a celebrity who could help them take the show in a new direction, so they hired him. I can see a very similar type of thinking going on among Sony executives when it comes to hiring Bialik (and the fact that she's a woman is a bonus), so that's why I suspect she will be named permanent host.

Of course, I don't expect to watch Jeopardy! on a regular basis if Bialik is named host (though I will certainly give her a chance). For that matter, I no longer watch TPIR due to my distaste for Carey's hosting and my loathing for the changes Richards made.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:33:17 PM by BonusShell »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #395 on: August 24, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »
One problem with let’s say a Faber and an existing gig isn’t that CNBC doesn’t have talent to fill in, it’s that they would naturally not want one of their lead talents gone at least once per month (more or less) for a week at a pop much of the year on top of his normal time off. They’ve invested (no pun intended) in him and have every reasonable expectation of him being a lead in that role with no valid reason for negotiating a new contract. Additional disruption isn’t good in that role. Basically the same for Cooper, Roberts and others.

The other problem is that disrupts the production routines established over years if you try to condense production into shorter bursts, let’s say four tape days in a week vs. two.

As for Alex, I have nothing but the deepest respect for him. That said, the fact that he happened to mention a couple of people he thought would be interesting/capable is not a Willy Wonka golden ticket to a guest gig. I think perhaps a little too much is being made of that one interview (including by those who do ignore he tossed out two names in the conversation, not just one).

This has become an unfortunate s—tshow for Sony without a really good option.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »
Vulture’s Josef Adalian wrote this article, a highlight was an interview with Harry Friedman via email. Harry said that the speculation in the community was that Mike Richards collaborated with current Sony TV chairman Mike Hopkins to push him out. And Harry ensured that his retirement plans began in April 2018 when health issues left him with an effect on how he viewed his work-life balance following his recovery.

Harry also says that Hopkins and the current head of Sony Pictures Entertainment, Tony Vinciquerra offered unwavering support and encouragement while convincing him to stay and has no hard feelings toward his former employer and was not consulted or expected to be on the host search process.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #397 on: August 25, 2021, 12:00:49 AM »
The other problem is that disrupts the production routines established over years if you try to condense production into shorter bursts, let’s say four tape days in a week vs. two.

I agree that, in the past, this was a very unlikely scenario. Now, though, with the fact that things are so discombobulated and everyone associated with the show seems to want to right the ship as quickly as possible, I could see the staff possibly agreeing to some changes to their traditional production process if doing so helped recruit a solid host. That still doesn't make it reasonable for someone who lives on the opposite coast and could be called away at a moment's notice. But for someone like Bialik, whose other job is about as predictable a gig as you can get for a prime time series and who is not likely to take another job in a movie or some other production that could occupy her for weeks at a time, it does make the possibility more plausible.

The biggest challenge to shooting four days of shows in a week is that the taping schedule is traditionally organized so that, as much as possible, J! and Wheel tape on the same weeks. Historically it's been J! on Tuesday and Wednesday, followed by Wheel on Thursday and Friday. That's how they are able to share so many tech crew members and producers for both shows.

That could be changed so that, for instance, J! tapes four days one week while Wheel is dark, and then they flip-flop the following week. The complication is that would also change Pat and Vanna's schedule, and what if they don't feel like taping four days a week?

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #398 on: August 25, 2021, 12:19:47 AM »
The complication is that would also change Pat and Vanna's schedule, and what if they don't feel like taping four days a week?

Then they can just hightail it out of here and Sony can find replacements, which they are getting quite proficient at doing.

I hear a certain executive producer now has some more time on his hands.

(I'm waiting to form my opinion about the current situation until the dust settles, but I am agreeing with many of BonusShell's posts in this thread.)
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #399 on: August 25, 2021, 05:04:12 AM »
They have contracts that oblige both sides to certain terms.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #400 on: August 25, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
I agree that, in the past, this was a very unlikely scenario. Now, though, with the fact that things are so discombobulated and everyone associated with the show seems to want to right the ship as quickly as possible, I could see the staff possibly agreeing to some changes to their traditional production process if doing so helped recruit a solid host. That still doesn't make it reasonable for someone who lives on the opposite coast and could be called away at a moment's notice. But for someone like Bialik, whose other job is about as predictable a gig as you can get for a prime time series and who is not likely to take another job in a movie or some other production that could occupy her for weeks at a time, it does make the possibility more plausible.

The biggest challenge to shooting four days of shows in a week is that the taping schedule is traditionally organized so that, as much as possible, J! and Wheel tape on the same weeks. Historically it's been J! on Tuesday and Wednesday, followed by Wheel on Thursday and Friday. That's how they are able to share so many tech crew members and producers for both shows.

That could be changed so that, for instance, J! tapes four days one week while Wheel is dark, and then they flip-flop the following week. The complication is that would also change Pat and Vanna's schedule, and what if they don't feel like taping four days a week?

They don't have tapings every week, though, do they?  If they are taping two days (10 shows, 12 for Wheel since they do the 6th shows that make up weeks), the only need to tape 2 weeks/month.

So, you could leave the current schedule alone, then plus extra Jeopardy tapings into the other weeks (4 days of just Jeopardy) and have those done sooner (or at least make up the extra shows, since they have a shorter rerun season than Wheel does).

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #401 on: August 25, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »

No, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune tape on alternating weeks. That's why they both tape two weeks apart usually. J! does Tue-Wed one week and then WOF does Thu-Fri the next week.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2021, 10:00:43 AM »
I don't normally put much stock in  gossip, especially when a site like Lainey Gossip wears it like a medal of honor, but it may be on the nose here. Jeopardy! has been a haven for smart, good, clean entertainment, a go-to against the norm. But with all the controversy surrounding the search for a new host and the skeletons in the closets of Richards and Bialik, it's pretty much been turned into a "sh*tshow." Can or will the ship be righted? Will there still be people grousing about whoever the new host will be because it isn't who they wanted? Or is it just plain time to pull the plug on Jeopardy! and put it out of its misery?
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »
I think talk about Jeopardy!'s impending demise is quite a bit premature.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »
Dramatically premature. When there is a drop off in revenue such that it’s not viable to continue, then it’s time to cancel. Whatever “show” it is at the moment, and despite some who hold vocal grudges for ludicrously long times, this is a bit of a blip in the grand scheme of things. Social media’s echo chamber is just that. Reality is our collective short attention span will move on to something new. For millions of non Twitter-ites, this has been perhaps a passing reference on the news shows, maybe an article scrolled by on Facebook.

The seas are a bit choppy, needlessly so, at the moment. That doesn’t mean the show is done for.