Author Topic: Simple Questions & Answers Thread  (Read 257273 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Simple Questions & Answers Thread
« Reply #675 on: September 21, 2023, 01:52:21 PM »
When do the streaming versions of the show appear online?

I'm not getting good reception on my antenna, so I'm missing over the air broadcasts. Until I fix that, I've been expecting to see streaming versions of the show on Paramount+ and/or CBS.com on the evenings of the days they've aired, but no dice. What's the usual cycle?

CBS.com only uploads new episodes.  Once they're there, they stay for the rest of the season, but they always get pulled shortly before the next season premiere, and unfortunately, we hit that point with Season 51 a couple of days ago.

Don't worry -- once the new shows start airing, they'll start getting uploaded again around 6:00 P.M. Eastern the day of broadcast.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #676 on: September 21, 2023, 10:39:56 PM »
Forgive me if I'm forgetting something, but wasn't that in Season 50?
My bad, the 50th anniversary special popped in my head as a primetime episode that premiered at a time other than 8, but of course that was 50 not 51.

Thank you! In my archive I wrote 8.PM for 50th Special. I Correct it.
So I did help you at least, even if it wasn't actually what you were really asking for!

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #677 on: September 22, 2023, 07:17:42 PM »
How many DSW's were there in Season 51?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #678 on: September 22, 2023, 07:38:57 PM »
Five.

tpirstats is a great resource for general stats questions like these.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline penny_ante

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Old Penny board c 1982
« Reply #679 on: September 28, 2023, 01:40:58 PM »
CBS.com only uploads new episodes.  Once they're there, they stay for the rest of the season, but they always get pulled shortly before the next season premiere, and unfortunately, we hit that point with Season 51 a couple of days ago.

Don't worry -- once the new shows start airing, they'll start getting uploaded again around 6:00 P.M. Eastern the day of broadcast.

Thanks for your answer, Steve. I was looking at a schedule that suggested the season started on the 19th and worried that I'd missed the premiere. Glad I didn't miss it!
Penny Ante
1979-2002
RIP, Old Friend

Offline jimmyuTPIR

• In the Audience
« Reply #680 on: October 01, 2023, 10:22:16 AM »
I have a question about the 10 year rule. Does it apply to the contestants who only make it to Bidder’s Row and don’t get to play a pricing game or just to those who play a pricing game?

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #681 on: October 01, 2023, 11:07:49 AM »
The 10 year rule applies if you get called down.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #682 on: March 08, 2024, 11:33:41 AM »
Apart from the Mighty Sound Effects Lady on One Away, are the sound effects on the show actually controlled by humans, or are they automated (like “programmed” into the games)?

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #683 on: March 08, 2024, 02:13:40 PM »
Apart from the Mighty Sound Effects Lady on One Away, are the sound effects on the show actually controlled by humans, or are they automated (like “programmed” into the games)?

During the Barker years, the sound effects were always activated by a person trying to play the sound effect at the same moment a number appeared or a flap opened.

Now that the pricing games are controlled by one computer, when sound effects can be built in, they are. For example, when Double Cross is lost, the computer is programmed to play the buzzer at the same time the board turns red. Or play the bells at the same time the winning animation is activated.

But there are a lot of moments on the show that aren't computer controlled. For example, in Temptation, a number appearing in the contestant's bid can be tied to a bell, but the panels that drop to reveal the actual price aren't connected to anything electronic, so those bells/buzzers have to be sounded the old-fashioned way (or rather, in the style of the old-fashioned way by clicking a button in the computer program to simply play a bell or buzzer sound). When somebody reveals a price in Most Expensive or One Wrong Price, the accompanying ding or buzz has to be manually sounded (but I wouldn't be surprised if the multiple bells that sound on a win are tied to the activation of the flashing lights). And games like Money Game and Double Prices don't have any electronic components whatsoever.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #684 on: March 08, 2024, 02:17:16 PM »
I seem to recall a handful of seasons ago a contestant played the Dice Game and automatically won due to correct numbers and 1s or 6s. The dings went off and the theme started playing. After the contestant ran off, Drew pointed at each number to reveal it and with it was accompanied with a ding for each one. Then after the last digit was revealed multiple dings played again. I think that must have been a logic problem when programming it to do automatic sound effects. I haven’t noticed it happen again like that since then, so don’t know if they re-programmed it or changed it to manual sound?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Online C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #685 on: March 12, 2024, 11:52:05 AM »
When clothes are offered on the show, does the contestant get to pick the size of said clothing before they receive the prize or are they provided as shown on the show? Always wondered that.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #686 on: March 18, 2024, 06:36:18 AM »
Now that the pricing games are controlled by one computer, when sound effects can be built in, they are. For example, when Double Cross is lost, the computer is programmed to play the buzzer at the same time the board turns red. Or play the bells at the same time the winning animation is activated.

The same w/Card Game as it is now-- the foghorn sounds if the screen turns red for a loss, and the bells play (in addition to a Vegas-style winning sound) if the screen is green for a win.

Or on Check Game-- if the total (check and prize) is out of the range, the screens turn red w/the buzzer (and the check is voided), but if the total is in range, the screens flash green and have a snazzy animation.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #687 on: April 09, 2024, 12:41:58 PM »

Do you know how the Time Is Money button works now? It appears to be wired and functional in some way. I assume it's initially set up to just buzz, and then when the contestant gets the right arrangement, something is triggered offstage to change its functionality to "win" the next time it's pressed. If so, I've wondered what they would do if a contestant were so fast or slipshod on the placement of the grocery items that the operator did not change the button over before it was pressed.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #688 on: April 09, 2024, 01:50:46 PM »
Do you know how the Time Is Money button works now? It appears to be wired and functional in some way. I assume it's initially set up to just buzz, and then when the contestant gets the right arrangement, something is triggered offstage to change its functionality to "win" the next time it's pressed. If so, I've wondered what they would do if a contestant were so fast or slipshod on the placement of the grocery items that the operator did not change the button over before it was pressed.

Funnily enough, I recall the exact opposite scenario happening a few years ago. The contestant initially had the right configuration but changed one of the items at the last moment; however, the clock stopped as if the contestant was correct. If your assumption is correct, then the operator was unable to switch the button from "right" to "wrong," resulting in a win when there wasn't.