Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 363627 times)

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1020 on: August 30, 2021, 05:29:15 PM »

At the beginning of this clip, Bob jokes around with a contestant who has the same last name as a CBS executive, and then mentions that an entire show was thrown out once because a contestant knew one of the cameraman. Is that the lost 3rd episode from 1972 that Bob is referring to?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1021 on: August 30, 2021, 09:21:28 PM »
Speaking of oddities, on the episode playing currently (9pm EST), I think there may have been grounds for a technical win if the contestant (a young blonde named Carol) had lost (she did not so it ended up moot). She was playing Temptation, and if I am not mistaken, Bob failed to tell her before she chose to go for the car the value of the gifts that were offered to her (which amounted to $1800 or so, he made a point to reveal it before revealing the last number in the price of the car). Do you all think that'd be enough to warrant giving the car away? I feel it's kind of important, but maybe not entirely a dealbreaker per se, could possibly go either way.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #1022 on: August 30, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »
But she already knows the prizes are worth about $1,800 without Bob telling her; she’s been shown the exact ARPs for all four prizes individually and can do math.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1023 on: August 30, 2021, 09:42:31 PM »
At the beginning of this clip, Bob jokes around with a contestant who has the same last name as a CBS executive, and then mentions that an entire show was thrown out once because a contestant knew one of the cameraman. Is that the lost 3rd episode from 1972 that Bob is referring to?

Less “was acquainted with” and more “was the wife of one of the cameramen”, but yeah, can’t think of anything else it could be.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1024 on: August 30, 2021, 09:53:33 PM »
But she already knows the prizes are worth about $1,800 without Bob telling her; she’s been shown the exact ARPs for all four prizes individually and can do math.

True, but when you're onstage, you're not really thinking mathmatically I imagine. Fair though in theory.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1025 on: August 30, 2021, 10:14:28 PM »
If the contestant loses because they underestimated the value of prizes whose values were shown to them, that’s 100% on them.

Yeah, the contestant may have been nervous, but Bob’s job isn’t to regurgitate things that the contestant can clearly see for themselves.

If Bob had failed to explain that she would be risking the prizes or some other key aspect about the game, that might be grounds for a tech win, but this is clearly not that.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #1026 on: August 31, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
There might be another dump of episodes at 10PM tonight. The json script in the Discord read 5222D on the schedule.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #1027 on: August 31, 2021, 10:15:37 PM »
There might be another dump of episodes at 10PM tonight. The json script in the Discord read 5222D on the schedule.
Consider it official.  5222D is on now, started at 10 ET.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1028 on: August 31, 2021, 11:34:41 PM »
5223D

S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline iluvmcarod

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1029 on: September 01, 2021, 02:40:06 AM »
I'm watching 5232D right now, and we have FINALLY made it to the first Kyle Aletter (later Aletter-Oldham) episodes!

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #1030 on: September 01, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »
5223D

Super tough game of Now or Then. "Was 'Blank Check' the name of this pricing game *then*, back in February 1984, or is that its name *now*?"

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1031 on: September 01, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »
To be honest, I never knew fresh episodes were coming that soon.  This is going to be a real treat.

Assuming 100 episodes are to be added, we may get to see the early Season 13 episodes, and at least one, maybe two playings of On the Nose.  However, of the current fresh batch, I am considering recording as many playings of Balance Game v1.0 as I can.

This round of fresh episodes may likely help us pinpoint the exact date that Holly returns from her hiatus, assuming that Pluto does not skip it nor the last episode with Holly's substitute.  We know it happened by April 6, 1984 as a small clip of a Walk of Fame playing was uploaded by John Ricci, Jr. some years ago.  And according to another user, Holly was still away from the show on of the March 12, 1984 broadcast, and I did post something some time ago about Holly having returned by March 12 that year, only for another user to clarify it wasn't Holly (to be honest, It sort of did look almost like Holly, in terms of hairstyle).

Does anybody have a link to the Classic TPIR schedule on Discord?  Please share if you do.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #1032 on: September 01, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
^bit.ly/plutotpir
Balance Game '84 debuts at 11PM ET. They're going past 25 episodes in this mini loop. Maybe they're doing the 30-30-30-10 again, or maybe they're just grinding through another 100. Who knows?
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1033 on: September 01, 2021, 11:24:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link.  I noticed, as of this post, that the most recent episode with full data was the March 26, 1984 episode.  If Holly hasn't returned by that point, her return episode is coming very soon, assuming it doesn't get skipped.  It is known that April 4, 1984 is being skipped - hopefully that wasn't an episode that occurred during the transition into Holly's return.  If Holly was still absent on April 5, then we can safely declare that Holly's return took place on April 6, 1984.

So far in the spreadsheet, as of March 26, 1984, Holly was supposedly still away by that point.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:29:14 AM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1034 on: September 01, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
Episode 5251-D feature the opening with Bob and Dian "making out" behind the doors. A clip of it used to be posted on Ted Clauson's old YouTube channel years ago.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)