Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 364101 times)

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1035 on: September 01, 2021, 11:49:03 AM »
Episode 5251-D feature the opening with Bob and Dian "making out" behind the doors. A clip of it used to be posted on Ted Clauson's old YouTube channel years ago.

I wonder if this was the early or beginning stages of Bob and Dian's romantic relationship?

I also observed on the pricing game schedules on another website that after the first two weeks of Season 12 - with the exception of February 1984, and October 31 through January - The Phone Home Game was downgraded to just one playing per week. That pricing game was absent for an extended period starting on Halloween 1983, possibly due to the November sweeps stunt, the Home Viewer Showcase.  Despite that the winner was declared on the December 16, 1983 episode, Phone Home never returned to the lineup until January 26, 1984. However, it got a lot of playings in February 1984 (February sweeps, possibly?), and when that sweeps period was over, it was back to just one playing per week for the rest of Season 12 (even May sweeps had just one playing per week).  Phone Home got a lot of playings during the first two weeks of Season 12.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:53:24 AM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1036 on: September 01, 2021, 12:58:16 PM »
There was also an episode early in the current Pluto cycle where Bob had a staff member come out at the top of the show to wish her a happy birthday. He ended up laying her back and giving her a smooch on the lips.

Later on in the same episode, there was a strange cut to commercial. The camera cut to the audience and had Bob saying, "We'll be back after this message." It sounded like the words were spliced together, and Bob rarely ever says those exact words when tossing to a break. I'm almost wondering if that was done on Pluto's part to edit out some romatic interaction with Bob and Dian? But it wouldn't make much sense since they showed them kissing at the beginning of another show. In any event, it was strange.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1037 on: September 01, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »
There was also an episode early in the current Pluto cycle where Bob had a staff member come out at the top of the show to wish her a happy birthday. He ended up laying her back and giving her a smooch on the lips.

Later on in the same episode, there was a strange cut to commercial. The camera cut to the audience and had Bob saying, "We'll be back after this message." It sounded like the words were spliced together, and Bob rarely ever says those exact words when tossing to a break. I'm almost wondering if that was done on Pluto's part to edit out some romatic interaction with Bob and Dian? But it wouldn't make much sense since they showed them kissing at the beginning of another show. In any event, it was strange.

Sounds like an edit that happened back then, first run, but who knows.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1038 on: September 01, 2021, 02:03:46 PM »
I noticed on the TPIR Episode Guide on qwizx, on the guide for the February 24, 1984 episode (which aired yesterday evening), that the model covering for Holly was believed by the user to be Dianne West.  Yesterday, something seemed off when I noticed her last name ended with a Y.  I replayed the recording just now, and using technology I paused the part of the video, and nudged forward to see the name.  The model on that episode is actually Dianne Beatty, as her signature was shown on the autograph book in Walk of Fame.

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1039 on: September 01, 2021, 06:12:21 PM »
Very odd showcase results on the last ep just now, 5263D.

Bids: 8200 / 11200
ARPs: 8000 / 111xx

Almost a WSQ by 80s standards, and yes, 8000 exactly. What in the?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1040 on: September 01, 2021, 06:35:46 PM »

That's wild......coulda had a perfect bid years before the first daytime one really happened. What does WSQ mean BTW? I feel I should know but it's not occurring to me.

Also on another note...was wondering, assuming this is another batch of 100 shows that would take them into Season 13, how close would we be to Johnny's final shows? 2 and a half batches roughly from there or even less?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1041 on: September 01, 2021, 07:00:38 PM »
That's wild......coulda had a perfect bid years before the first daytime one really happened. What does WSQ mean BTW? I feel I should know but it's not occurring to me.

The opposite or reverse of a quadruple showcase winner
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1042 on: September 01, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »
After many, many years, the mystery is finally solved.  Holly returned from her hiatus on March 30, 1984.  I am viewing the episode right now as I post this.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1043 on: September 01, 2021, 07:16:34 PM »

I remember there being a showcase in March 2006 that was exactly $15,000.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1044 on: September 01, 2021, 08:03:47 PM »
The debut of Balance Game will be at 11pm Eastern. 73 and 75 are skipped.

5265D at least is now a Mark Goodson Production, bumping that up a bit
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #1045 on: September 01, 2021, 08:04:44 PM »
I found on Facebook that the March 22, 1984 ep (#5254D), is the first ep to have Mark Goodson credited as the sole producer.

Also on one of the new-to-Pluto TV eps of TPiR, as a contestant played what was then called Blank Check, Bob mentioned Press Your Luck. XD
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:12:28 PM by jlgarfield »

Online Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #1046 on: September 01, 2021, 08:07:35 PM »
It's 5254D. We're keeping track of that and many other stats in the Discord, come join us!
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #1047 on: September 01, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
^ You got it. :D

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1048 on: September 01, 2021, 08:15:27 PM »
I noticed that, of all the models who filled in for Holly during her nearly four-month hiatus, Andi (I think that would be her spellng?) was my most favorite.

I want to ask, was that particular model Andie MacDowell, who became an actress later in the 1980s?

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #1049 on: September 01, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
There's another "special event marathon" coming up on September 12, and this time they claim it will be all new-to-Pluto episodes instead of repeats of existing ones in the rotation. Which probably means Pluto will be debuting episodes out of order for the first time. They will probably do the opposite of what they've done with the previous marathons: debut these episodes during the marathon, then skip their "spots" when the episodes before and after them are first added to the rotation.