Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 360836 times)

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
According to the official channel: 6 new shows each weekday, reruns over the weekend. (in the comments)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-IhC90c8E

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2020, 07:45:24 PM »
According to the official channel: 6 new shows each weekday, reruns over the weekend. (in the comments)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-IhC90c8E

Thanks for that, curious if they will reair all 30 fresh shows then or not, but guess time will tell. It's a good idea though, so anyone who misses any won't miss out entirely if they miss them on the day they first air. I see them saying there's no plans for any shows from 1st 10 years incidentally in comments too. Makes me wonder if Bob made them agree to that to get any repeats, and if they may still hold to it even after he was gone. I'd hope not on that, but.....guess again time will tell.

Sidenote, watching through one repeat again just now as I missed part of it earlier as I mentioned a while ago actually, was there an issue with opening the safe in Safe Crackers at this time? In both playings they aired today, there was trouble opening the door initially, with second case being much worse than the first. I wonder why.

Also..how many games were in rotation by Season 11, anyone know for certain? I'd assume someone would. It's sorta wild seeing how quick they seemed to recycle for this period. I didn't think they would quite so much, but seems to amount to roughly 2 times a week a game is being played, for some at least.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:48:17 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2020, 08:14:47 PM »
Also..how many games were in rotation by Season 11, anyone know for certain? I'd assume someone would. It's sorta wild seeing how quick they seemed to recycle for this period. I didn't think they would quite so much, but seems to amount to roughly 2 times a week a game is being played, for some at least.

I'll name the games that were in the lineup for the beginning of Season 11:

Any Number, Barker's Bargain Bar, Blank Check, Bonus Game, Bullseye '76, Card Game, Check-Out, Cliff Hangers, Clock Game, Danger Price, Dice Game, Double Prices, Five Price Tags, Give or Keep, Golden Road, Grand Game, Grocery Game, Hi Lo, Hit Me, Hole in One, It's Optional, Lucky $even, Money Game, Most Expensive, Now...and Then, 1 Right Price, Penny Ante, Pick-a-Pair, Poker Game, Punch-a-Bunch, Race Game, Range Game, Safe Crackers, Secret "X", Shell Game, Squeeze Play, SuperBall!!, Switcheroo, Take Two, Temptation, Ten Chances, 3 Strikes, Trader Bob

If we were to include the games that were added during the course of said season (Master Key, Plinko), the total would be 45 active games.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2020, 08:36:14 PM »

Any Number, Barker's Bargain Bar, Blank Check, Bonus Game, Bullseye '76, Card Game, Check-Out, Cliff Hangers, Clock Game, Danger Price, Dice Game, Double Prices, Five Price Tags, Give or Keep, Golden Road, Grand Game, Grocery Game, Hi Lo, Hit Me, Hole in One, It's Optional, Lucky $even, Money Game, Most Expensive, Now...and Then, 1 Right Price, Penny Ante, Pick-a-Pair, Poker Game, Punch-a-Bunch, Race Game, Range Game, Safe Crackers, Secret "X", Shell Game, Squeeze Play, SuperBall!!, Switcheroo, Take Two, Temptation, Ten Chances, 3 Strikes, Trader Bob

If we were to include the games that were added during the course of said season (Master Key, Plinko), the total would be 45 active games.

Actually less than I thought, so 2 times a week or so makes sense then, at 30 games total each week. Thanks!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2020, 08:40:10 PM »

You forgot Hurdles, even though its playing were greatly reduced by this time.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2020, 08:44:15 PM »
You forgot Hurdles, even though its playing were greatly reduced by this time.

It lasted through 82? I thought it was retired sooner.

EDIT: Yep it did, was played last on March 31, 1983. Damn.

Offline Bee17

• Outside in Line
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2020, 08:52:12 PM »
And without letting this become an "old vs new", "Bob vs Drew" discussion, I'm truly amazed at how the show has managed to remain relatively unchanged after so many years. Yes, the sets are newer, the show is more "modern", there's a new host, and so on, but the bones are still very much the same.  The fact that, after close to 50 years, the basic structure of the show has remained unchanged is quite impressive.

I would have to agree here. The basic structure is still there, even after all these years and all these changes. One thing I have to say about it, though, is that back then the show had more room to "breathe". They didn't have to fit in a ton of commercials during breaks, and thus didn't have to rush though things.

As for myself (and I had to stop lurking just to say this, by the way), the current version of the show is fine and all, but it's nice to see these older shows. There was a lot more charm back then, more of a "homemade" feel (if that makes any sense), not to mention the audience wasn't as rowdy as they are now. Sure there was excitement back then, but it was much more subdued compared to now.

Plus they got a LOT of use out of the Turntable back then, compared to now.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »
Someone commented about how much more they used to use the turntable in the showcase, and I wanted to add how weird it looks to me how they often left the prize displayed on the turntable even after the showcase was over, even as they went to commercial.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2020, 09:04:23 PM »
Someone commented about how much more they used to use the turntable in the showcase, and I wanted to add how weird it looks to me how they often left the prize displayed on the turntable even after the showcase was over, even as they went to commercial.

I've noticed that a lot, thought that was interesting.....don't recall it much at the end of Bob's run that I grew up on. Also, is it me, or did they not turn it all the way around for games often back then? Maybe it's the angle of the camera shot (creativity that again stands out a lot here relative to later years), but the games seemed to be set-up a little crooked many times when they stopped turning it, that'd be the best word I could use.

Offline saturn93

• In the Audience
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:30 PM »
On the 8 PM ET/7 PM CT (which I watched), luggage was on the turntable in the first showcase.  It was still showing when they went to commercial. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »
So...observations from a few shows in.
  • Bob would get #MeToo'd today.
  • They are straight up abusing the Train...I think it's been in virtually every-other episode so far.
  • Penny Ante needed to come back about 15 years ago.
  • Never liked the TT colors of this set, hasn't changed.  The stucco is super obvious...the set change will be soon, I think.
  • Trader Bob is.....interesting.
  • Marc Breslow's style is great.

I remember the train being used a lot during the original run, but I have to agree about the overuse of it.  I remember 1999 quite well since I had time to catch the morning, non WinTV version of Season's 11 & 12.  It seemed as if it wasn't an episode of TPIR unless it made an appearance in every episode, maybe even twice!  Not that I had a problem with it, but when I rewatched it I don't recall seeing the use of it (for the IUFB) that many times!

I miss Breslow, but like a lot of things, there was good to come from his departure.  Trader Bob was a blast.  I didn't miss it too much when it was gone, but I also didn't miss when the game looked like it was about to be won but turned out not to be the case.  Penny Ante I'm neutral with; a return would result in a digital version and not a real set that could break down again.  Not only do I miss the game; I miss the camera shot of the game that was used throughout the 80s; I think that was done away with in Season 21.

I'm in the minority, or it might just be me that loves the TT colors.  The Green with Orange & Purple stand out for me.  I don't know; I guess I respect those secondary colors.  The design that'll be coming up soon (used from 1982-1992) is much better, but I think it's best combination the show has had overall.

Good to know; thanks, urbanpreppie.  Tuning into the show to catch everything isn't a reality going forward, so it helps that they're rerunning what aired each week.  As far as pre-Season 11, I don't see Pluto airing anything from the show's first ten years even after Bob's gone, at least not right away.  I don't think there's any connection with an OK given to run the last 25 years of the Barker era and skip over the first ten seasons over a fur ban or any other reason
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2020, 10:05:33 PM »
I remember the train being used a lot during the original run, but I have to agree about the overuse of it.  I remember 1999 quite well since I had time to catch the morning, non WinTV version of Season's 11 & 12.  It seemed as if it wasn't an episode of TPIR unless it made an appearance in every episode, maybe even twice!  Not that I had a problem with it, but when I rewatched it I don't recall seeing the use of it (for the IUFB) that many times!

I miss Breslow, but like a lot of things, there was good to come from his departure.  Trader Bob was a blast.  I didn't miss it too much when it was gone, but I also didn't miss when the game looked like it was about to be won but turned out not to be the case.  Penny Ante I'm neutral with; a return would result in a digital version and not a real set that could break down again.  Not only do I miss the game; I miss the camera shot of the game that was used throughout the 80s; I think that was done away with in Season 21.

I'm in the minority, or it might just be me that loves the TT colors.  The Green with Orange & Purple stand out for me.  I don't know; I guess I respect those secondary colors.  The design that'll be coming up soon (used from 1982-1992) is much better, but I think it's best combination the show has had overall.

Good to know; thanks, urbanpreppie.  Tuning into the show to catch everything isn't a reality going forward, so it helps that they're rerunning what aired each week.  As far as pre-Season 11, I don't see Pluto airing anything from the show's first ten years even after Bob's gone, at least not right away.  I don't think there's any connection with an OK given to run the last 25 years of the Barker era and skip over the first ten seasons over a fur ban or any other reason

I'd wonder if maybe.....just mayybee.....the actual premiere would see the light of day outside of YouTube studio master/original broadcast copies after he passed, if nothing else as a tribute to him, but would have to see. As an aside BTW, I asked about how they'd run the repeats on weekends for clarification, and they aren't running all 30 (or for this week 24) shows, but a mix of the best. I haven't gotten this confirmed yet from them, but I am assuming there will be 6 a day like they run normally, for a total of 12 of them. So won't see them all, but almost half, or in this week's case exactly half.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2020, 10:21:43 PM »
In hindsight, most of the fun of Penny Ante is its mechanical unpredictability.  And the Wubba-Wubba sound effect.

Something of note I saw today: in Bullseye, Bob says you need to be BETWEEN $5 and $6.  That book, picking two at $2.50, puts the contestant exactly at $5.00. Technically not BETWEEN the two values.  Looks like they dodged a technical issue on that one if it's a win by the rules or Bob's explanation.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2020, 10:22:14 PM »
...Also interesting/amusing too, is the number of aquarium appearances so far, particularly given furs were gone. I've counted at least 3 times one has shown up. When did those get phased out?

I also thought it was interesting and slightly ironic that one of the showcases on one of Wednesday’s shows was a skit about an organ grinder and his monkey.  Of course, it was a person dressed in a monkey costume for the skit (Dian was the only one missing in that skit, so I wonder if it was her or someone else on the show’s staff who donned that costume... 🤔).

JBK

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2020, 10:29:56 PM »
Actually less than I thought, so 2 times a week or so makes sense then, at 30 games total each week. Thanks!

Of course, the combination of sponsorship obligations, pricing game running times, show’s budget, and type of prize being offered means that same games come up more often than others, and I think that has a lot to do with it in the episodes we’ve seen so far.  Three Strikes and Take Two sure have shown up a lot more then than they do now. 
JBK