Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 361027 times)

FrankGariFanatic and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2020, 08:44:48 PM »
I stand corrected

Also aired at least some of the 86-87 season via Win TV in the early afternoons too (same place 91-92 aired). That was addressed earlier here actually, both of them were.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2020, 08:45:17 PM »
I found it interesting that in #4621D’s playing of Temptation, Bob did the same “This is a X” schtick that Drew does today with 5 Price Tags.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »
As one random note for the FAQ, should be noted the Thursday show aired today, featured Johnny's 43rd wedding anniversary mentioned by Bob prior to I think the 5th or 6th IUFB, not sure which now. Thought that was a cool little spotlight moment for Johnny, ala what Rod got later. Was his wife in audience I wonder? I noticed he looked out there when he was speaking about the marriage, but not sure if he was just hamming it up or not. I suppose Bob woulda spotlighted her too if so, so probably was the latter.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:36 PM »
So all those rumors for years about music licensing and Barker's Beauties keeping old shows from airing were false?
I don't think they were false more so that they might have been worked out over time. Licensing issues and cross-ownership kept Classic Concentration, Narz Concentration, and MGHS out of reruns presumably, but they were able to make those work and put them back on the air. I could see the same various things that we've heard that kept Price off the air, from CBS exclusivity to Bob's control to music, finally being resolved.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2020, 09:46:49 PM »
Random thought, but has the first week of Season 11 not aired because the set is decorated / announced it’s “Season 11 premiere week”?  May confuse folks tuning in thinking why are they starting with Season 11 instead of 1.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #275 on: December 04, 2020, 09:47:33 PM »
Did anyone catch Bob referring to a little "brawl" backstage between Janice and Dian ahead of 1 Right Price on the show replaying right now (4622D)? That was rather interesting to say the least.....I wonder how serious or not that was given what is known about their issues today.....

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2020, 09:50:05 PM »
Random thought, but has the first week of Season 11 not aired because the set is decorated / announced it’s “Season 11 premiere week”?  May confuse folks tuning in thinking why are they starting with Season 11 instead of 1.

You know I hadn't thought of that, you could be right. But then again, they already said socially they were gonna start with Season 11 ahead of the launch, and stated why, so that doesn't really make sense in that context. Who knows though. Maybe it will turn up when they restarted the run from the beginning in a few years time, or maybe sooner, depends on them.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #277 on: December 04, 2020, 09:54:13 PM »
Watching that 2nd SCSD a second ago with the double spinoff, I think it'd be interesting to track as they go through the run or the last 25 years of it anyway, just how many double and triple ties there are. That I believe is the first to air thus far correct? Or did I miss one?

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2020, 10:04:01 PM »
We are absolutely sure. They've said it quite a few times, including the below Tweet:

You never know though, that situation may change someday. :)

Thanks for the info.  The wording of that tweet kind of makes it sound like Pluto has control of these reruns ("we're supporting Bob's advocacy of animal rights") rather than Barker telling them what they can/can't show.

Makes sense, since an episode I watched yesterday had Barker (during a Trader Bob playing) giving a (very innocent) friendly kiss on the cheek to Janice, then Holly (!), then Dian.  It was bittersweet to watch THAT, knowing what would eventually happen among those four folks.  Glad Pluto aired the episode.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2020, 10:07:28 PM »
I’m watching an episode right now, during the 9pm central time slot, where the camera work in the episode, especially the opening, was just god awful. I remember some discussion years ago about a cameraman strike that occurred, maybe in the early or mid-80s, and they called in staffers to run the cameras during that time period... does anybody know what I’m referring to or why this particular episode was so poorly shot? :lol:
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2020, 10:07:55 PM »
You know I hadn't thought of that, you could be right. But then again, they already said socially they were gonna start with Season 11 ahead of the launch, and stated why, so that doesn't really make sense in that context. Who knows though. Maybe it will turn up when they restarted the run from the beginning in a few years time, or maybe sooner, depends on them.
True.  I was thinking more so of it being tied to a specific date.  Other than the fact the shows look “obviously from the 80s”, I doubt anyone outside this site would know the exact date much less the year (even cars aren’t being announced with the year).

Do we also know for sure furs weren’t offered on season premiere week?  I know the show sometimes taped season premieres before going on summer break.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »
Makes sense, since an episode I watched yesterday had Barker (during a Trader Bob playing) giving a (very innocent) friendly kiss on the cheek to Janice, then Holly (!), then Dian.  It was bittersweet to watch THAT, knowing what would eventually happen among those four folks.  Glad Pluto aired the episode.

Oh that's really interesting.....that may explain Bob's comment just then/the incident, whatever happened. It is also I agree somewhat bittersweet watching some of this, knowing what came later, but still lots of fun to watch and glad this part of history is finally being seen again after nearly 21 years, it deserves to be.

Also....three things. First, seeing the Range Game playing referred to earlier.....I DEFINITELY think it was a case of switched out prizes. The way Bob speaks to it hopefully going up...the Pinochle Table comment, him saying it was going up when the game began and saying the contestant playing it knew all the rules already after he said them, let alone the program being edited, it had to be, couldn't be anything else.

Second, Johnny on this episode actually didn't say And before calling down the 4th contestant of the First Four, weird to hear him leave that out as polished as he almost always was in everything he did.

Third and last....interesting to see a 0 and 5 used in same set of numbers for Prize #2 in Ten Chances, it having been established that a price could end with a 5 on the first one. Made the game just a little harder than usual.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2020, 10:20:47 PM »
Do we also know for sure furs weren’t offered on season premiere week?  I know the show sometimes taped season premieres before going on summer break.

I assume not, it was not stated by the channel that they contained any when asked about these shows and they had taped some shows before the break too that aired already, at least one (the one where Bob references his Emmy win and it being the last show before break). So I wouldn't think this was the case/is the reason, but suppose I could be wrong.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »
I asked this same question a few pages back.  Looks like she was in the same seat for multiple shows, some on the same tape days.

Maybe Barker’s new lady friend at the time?

Speaking of such things, knowing Dorothy Jo had passed by this time, it’s interesting to see how friendly Diane is getting with Barker, especially during the credits!

I always thought she was a Price employee, kind of like a contestant coordinator or something of that nature. If I am not completely out of my mind, I want to say I have seen Bob call attention to her at some point. She is visible in that same seat from around 1980 to about 1983.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:29:55 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
Hope this works - Me as a 9-month-old watching Bob and the old Pick A Pair prop:
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.