Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 361170 times)

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #390 on: December 09, 2020, 03:26:32 AM »
Just saw the Punchboard playing.  Ouch is all I can say about that.  How many years later would Bob’s theory of no way on the passé the 5k be tested? 😜

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #391 on: December 09, 2020, 04:25:06 AM »
I notice Card Game was played on back to back episodes, between the 3am and 4am airings. Anyone have an idea as to why? Seems kinda peculiar for even this period to repeat em that quick.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #392 on: December 09, 2020, 05:47:40 AM »
^It would have been on two different weeks, from 4645D and 4651D. Besides that, I can't justify it any further.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #393 on: December 09, 2020, 07:36:25 AM »
I noticed on the Pricing Game calendar that 4633D (10-20-82) is no longer gray shaded.   Did it air yesterday after being skipped over the day before?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #394 on: December 09, 2020, 07:48:30 AM »
I noticed on the Pricing Game calendar that 4633D (10-20-82) is no longer gray shaded.   Did it air yesterday after being skipped over the day before?

I literally just went to the calendar right as you posted (but to confirm about the Card Game being on a Friday and then Monday), and I noticed that those were not grayed out anymore.  On a separate note, 4641D was updated as well to indicate the Range Game being played for a car.

Anyway, in answer to your question, UltraPrice: No it did not air yesterday.  Looks like it was confirmed by a couple sources what the line-up was.  Some people have an old collection of shows that included 4633D so that’s good.  4643D (10/27/1982) did air as scheduled, however.  That line-up was updated to match the order in which those were played
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #395 on: December 09, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
Ditto.  Also, the safe staying locked in Safe Crackers triggered the foghorn.  I'm not sure when this ended, but I watched a 1990 episode and they still used it. 

In addition to that, Hole in One used it in Season 20 several times, which is somewhat of a reversal given the fact that they often didn't early on, including 4642D and at least most episodes during the very early days of the show.

They've actually used the foghorn in Card Game & Check-Out for simply losing outright (not going over); definitely the former was the case which IIRC happens later this season or the next

Grand Game also used the foghorn as well on occasion throughout at least the 80s including 4651D, more so on the contestant's final pick and getting it wrong by losing $1,000.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #396 on: December 09, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
The local news channel (News 12 New Jersey) did a quick piece about the episodes streaming on Pluto during their Entertainment stories this morning. Has anyone else seen a piece on the Barker episodes stream on their local news?

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #397 on: December 09, 2020, 11:12:18 AM »
Negative.  Local CBS not on DirectTV or AT&T right now. 

Methinks network TV has about 10 years max left

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #398 on: December 09, 2020, 11:15:05 AM »
I’m loving the stream. It brings back so many memories of the real Price is Right. I only have vague memories of the Cullen version (in color no less) and tried but can’t sit through the modern version.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #399 on: December 09, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »

> Do you have any idea why episode 4633 was skipped?

Likely due to technical issues. If the quality once digitized does not meet current broadcast standards we won't be able to air it. That is likely why, we are trying to air everything in order.

I am updating the lineups on my end for my bot, and have a spreadsheet going on all changes needed. So not surprised the calendar online is also getting updated as we go along.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #400 on: December 09, 2020, 03:44:16 PM »

From the November 5, 1982 ep. Look at that jacket. I take it Bob must've won the Masters. XD

Resized photo to remove scrollbar. Please shrink images before posting them, thanks :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:01:43 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #401 on: December 09, 2020, 04:19:15 PM »
From the November 5, 1982 ep. Look at that jacket. I take it Bob must've won the Masters. XD

Interesting that you say that, because as I am typing this there is a contestant playing Hole in One from Augusta, GA (which is where I am from)! Bob talked with her about the Masters, too!

(I've lived here 30 years and have never been to the Masters golf tournament. Drive by it all the time, but never been out there.)
1,697 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #402 on: December 09, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »

Interesting that you say that, because as I am typing this there is a contestant playing Hole in One from Augusta, GA (which is where I am from)! Bob talked with her about the Masters, too!

(I've lived here 30 years and have never been to the Masters golf tournament. Drive by it all the time, but never been out there.)

About a week after the aftermath of Bob celebrating his entry into Canton.  Naturally, the current episode (4-5 EST airing 12/09/2020 on Pluto) makes mention of the Masters and a green jacket.  [ETA: Jinx!]

It is still mind-blowing that it took a decade for Bob to win his first emmy.  I have been critical of Steve Harvey winning several emmys for his work on Family Feud in less time (due to not having to deal with Bob in the same category).

So he stacked another 18 in a 25-year period during a period that included the legend of Alex Trebek and Jeopardy.  I think that was a great trade-off after missing out earlier.  IIRC, there was an error in submitting his nomination though I don't know or think he would've defeated Dick Clark that year
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #403 on: December 09, 2020, 07:23:03 PM »
I noticed today that most of the episodes (4 out of 6) had extra blank space at the top of the screen. I think they're shifting down the picture to crop out that smearing glitch we've seen before.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #404 on: December 09, 2020, 07:24:28 PM »
Anyway, in answer to your question, UltraPrice: No it did not air yesterday.  Looks like it was confirmed by a couple sources what the line-up was.  Some people have an old collection of shows that included 4633D so that’s good.

That's exactly what happened.

Still no idea why that show didn't get aired, though.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.