Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356490 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Bob Barker era reruns returning to Pluto TV beginning tomorrow 12/1/20
« Reply #435 on: December 11, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »
I guess not.  They've moved onto 4963D.  Seventh new episode of the day.  Still a long way to go in terms of figuring out how Pluto will run their episodes on a regular basis or what they mentioned in their release

Interesting......I wonder how far they are gonna go today and what that would mean for weekend run, assuming there will be repeats. That puts the total number of shows for the week at 31 now so....

Hurdles wasn't a part of the 1st episode they ran though for the record. It was in the 2nd one, so woulda been in the 1pm episode had they kept to the 6 episodes a day pattern.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:27:58 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #436 on: December 11, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
Just announced on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/TPIRBarker/posts/131124108814011

"Friends, we wanted to let you know that in a continued effort to make your viewing of The Price Is Right: The Barker Era the best it can be, we've changed the schedule. We will no longer air 6 new episodes a day, now each hour a different episode will play on PlutoTV. Plus, great news, tomorrow you can catch the debut of #Plinko! Thanks for watching!"
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #437 on: December 11, 2020, 12:42:34 PM »

"Friends, we wanted to let you know that in a continued effort to make your viewing of The Price Is Right: The Barker Era the best it can be, we've changed the schedule. We will no longer air 6 new episodes a day, now each hour a different episode will play on PlutoTV. Plus, great news, tomorrow you can catch the debut of #Plinko! Thanks for watching!"

If they want to make it the best it can be, they should have the content available on demand.  Twenty-four hours a day of new episodes with no licit way to record them doesn't really give the die-hard fans they have a chance to keep up with the action.  I'm sure many former contestants and their relations would love to see their appearances again.  There's really no need for a blink-and-you-missed-it approach here.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #438 on: December 11, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »

Hmm "now each hour a different episode will play", does that mean it will be all fresh episodes? A mix of new and old at random? That could be interpreted multiple ways. Interesting too that they're choosing to run the debut of Plinko now as well.....wonder what woulda led to that choice.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2020, 12:47:38 PM »
If they want to make it the best it can be, they should have the content available on demand.  Twenty-four hours a day of new episodes with no licit way to record them doesn't really give the die-hard fans they have a chance to keep up with the action.  I'm sure many former contestants and their relations would love to see their appearances again.  There's really no need for a blink-and-you-missed-it approach here.

I'm wondering if as they air/get more episodes digitized, they will do just that. I thought about that possibility recently. I also think it'd be a great idea as well to do that. Honestly, and maybe I'm alone in this, you all could tell me if you're suffering from this too or not, but trying to keep up with all the episodes aired thus far has been burning me out a bit at times. It's difficult to do and a lot to take in all at once, fatigue sets in at a certain point. And now if they aren't gonna do repeat cycles (or even repeats period potentially, hard to say for sure what they are gonna do from what they said) at all, that issue becomes exponentially bigger.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:49:57 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2020, 01:00:04 PM »

Personally, if they wanted to make The Price Is Right: The Barker Era the best it can be, what they've done over the past week or two was just that.

Right now, I'm not a fan of this.  I think a big reason is the lack of warning and communication from them to the fans & viewers.  I don't think it's a great idea that we're finding out after the fact.  Not that it will change one's plans outside of TPIR: TBE!

We'll see the reaction, but airing new episodes outright is not the way to go.  No one's watching 25 years consecutively, and it's impossible to DVR everything.  As mentioned, it would be nice if it's available on demand after it airs.  That, and leave what's on YouTube alone, especially if their full episodes are not on demand.  Not just clips of certain moments, actual full episodes
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
Personally, if they wanted to make The Price Is Right: The Barker Era the best it can be, what they've done over the past week or two was just that.

Right now, I'm not a fan of this.  I think a big reason is the lack of warning and communication from them to the fans & viewers.  I don't think it's a great idea that we're finding out after the fact.  Not that it will change one's plans outside of TPIR: TBE!

We'll see the reaction, but airing new episodes outright is not the way to go.  No one's watching 25 years consecutively, and it's impossible to DVR everything.  As mentioned, it would be nice if it's available on demand after it airs.  That, and leave what's on YouTube alone, especially if their full episodes are not on demand.  Not just clips of certain moments, actual full episodes

YouTube would actually be a great place to put at least a smattering of new episodes, if they weren't gonna do an On-Demand route strictly. It'd be some form of archive at least.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
YouTube would actually be a great place to put at least a smattering of new episodes, if they weren't gonna do an On-Demand route strictly. It'd be some form of archive at least.
Only problem is that would make too much sense.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #443 on: December 11, 2020, 01:14:03 PM »
 :roll:

I'm just happy that after two decades we're seeing reruns.

Remember...the casual fans, not the small percentage of people cataloging these show, will watch a few episodes every few days. Thats the main audience. I'm a big fan of Price...and thats what I'm doing too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:18:45 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #444 on: December 11, 2020, 01:31:44 PM »

Remember...the casual fans, not the small percentage of people cataloging these show, will watch a few episodes every few days. Thats the main audience. I'm a big fan of Price...and thats what I'm doing too.

And they won’t care whether it’s the same 6 episodes in a loop or not. 24/7 new episodes is a middle finger to the die hards who want to watch everything.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #445 on: December 11, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
:roll:

I'm just happy that after two decades we're seeing reruns.

No one said they were upset.  Sure it's great to have this after 20 years without it, but it didn't kill anyone when the show left GSN.  At least for me it sucked by life continued and I made it through without it.  If this hadn't happened, I wouldn't have cared, honestly.  In other words, I'd still be saddened, but would've thought that it wasn't a big deal either.  There is still actual content available (for now) elsewhere.

I think it's fair to disagree with their decision.  It doesn't mean that I unhappy.  I don't see the problem to criticize something that might be unpopular or inconvenient, especially if it doesn't make too much sense.

I do agree that the main audience: a.k.a. casual fans would be who Pluto would cater to.  Of course, the casual fans are abundant in todays version of the show.  I just didn't see where the demand was to make such a change
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #446 on: December 11, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »
I have a feeling they'll reverse this decision by the end of the weekend, and they just really want Plinko to debut already.

It would be nice if they could decide on something consistent.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #447 on: December 11, 2020, 01:37:55 PM »
This is a reply to a comment on their FB page:

"Hey there, we appreciate you wanting to catch them all! Lots of folks were feeling they weren't getting enough variety. We are airing 100 episodes in order and then those will repeat. We are not prepared logistically to share a schedule, but understand the interest and will work on it. Thank you!"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:40:00 PM by bigblue999 »
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #448 on: December 11, 2020, 01:39:19 PM »
And they won’t care whether it’s the same 6 episodes in a loop or not. 24/7 new episodes is a middle finger to the die hards who want to watch everything.

But they just said that they want to air MORE episodes. That refutes your point.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #449 on: December 11, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
100 ep block isn't the worst in the world. Hopefully they can get a schedule going.

On Discord we have a couple users with automated scripts that look promising in getting these episodes recorded. I am thinking over the best way to then have those available for all who want it.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...