Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356426 times)

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #840 on: March 07, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »
In this clip, Marc pulled this nifty splitscreen shot of the car on the final roll of Dice Game.

Had the contestant rolled the correct number, it would have been an immediate win at this point.  Do we know if this shot was used exclusively in this scenario, or were there other occasions where he would pull this shot on the final roll?  The only comparable shot I can think of is when he would pull a similar shot in Ten Chances on guesses for the car.  I've noticed Marc liked to get shots of cars, if possible, the moment before they were won.

Because if it is the former, wow, it's a bit of a rare find.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #841 on: March 07, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »
Major fail I’m that clip. The roll wasn’t even visible on camera because of the split-screen. Maybe that’s why we rarely saw this shot. I’ll bet it was discontinued in Dice Game shortly after this episode.

He also liked to use the split screen in Ten Chances but that was annoying because the numbers in the price of the car became invisible when the split-screen went up.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #842 on: March 07, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »
Major fail I’m that clip. The roll wasn’t even visible on camera because of the split-screen.

The contestant gave two bad rolls, the latter of which barely crossed the line.  I blame him.  Yes, the camera should have moved to show the die, but I wouldn't throw it out on this being the textbook example.

He also liked to use the split screen in Ten Chances but that was annoying because the numbers in the price of the car became invisible when the split-screen went up.

And after a few seconds, the numbers would reappear.

Plus, the shot of the car never went up until after a good look at the numbers had been shown.  I mean, I never had a problem remembering what they were for the few seconds you couldn't see them...
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #843 on: March 07, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
I remember a couple of times in Money Game in the 70s where they dissolved straight from the actual car to the car graphic on the Money Game board (or vice versa) with the two lined up as perfectly as they could be. Loved it.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #844 on: March 07, 2021, 12:21:36 PM »
I remember a couple of times in Money Game in the 70s where they dissolved straight from the actual car to the car graphic on the Money Game board (or vice versa) with the two lined up as perfectly as they could be. Loved it.

Agreed!

You know, we really need to get a thread going of screencaps of stellar Breslow shots.  We're getting more and more of them all the time now.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #845 on: March 14, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
Another theme day coming up next weekend. "Super Spin Sunday", focusing on "big" spins in the SCSD. More than likely pulling from the same 200 episodes in rotation.

They have a promo on the "social pages" (Facebook, youtube)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #846 on: March 14, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »
According to their Facebook page, it's promoting a 12-hour marathon.  There is no start time given, but I imagine it'll be a 6 AM start with Pluto re-airing everything at 6 PM (similar to what they did with the big car wins marathon)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #847 on: March 19, 2021, 05:46:40 AM »
Any word when we will be moving to the new set of 100 more episodes?

Joe

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #848 on: March 19, 2021, 12:10:47 PM »
Probably not for another couple of weeks at the very bare minimum.  It is possible that the next new episodes show up by mid-May

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #849 on: March 21, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »
Today's Big Spin or SCSD special includes several skips episodes and some episodes that may get bumped off when the regular cycle resumes tomorrow.  The marathon (4644D, 4803D, 4823D, 4835D, 4881D, 4915D, 4921D, 4931D, 4945D, 4962D, 4965D, 4993D) featured cash winners within the SCSD but also a couple rounds with no cash winners but several spinoffs.  A couple spinoffs included during the day had a 3-way tie-breaker and one that needed a second one that produced a $1,000 winner.

After nearly 4 months we've had the big car win special & this Showcase Showdown special.  Of course there was the Christmas Special; while those episodes have run several dozen times, I could watch those at least several dozen times.

Anyway, given the episode selection today (03/21/21), I imagine that the next marathon Pluto will have will feature great showcase wins (including DSW and/or winners leaving with over $20,000 or $17,500 in cash and prizes).  Probably not until the next 100 episodes get added to the rotation

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #850 on: March 21, 2021, 07:58:13 PM »
Today's Big Spin or SCSD special includes several skips episodes and some episodes that may get bumped off when the regular cycle resumes tomorrow.

Skipped as in first time seen on the channel episodes? Or just skipped more recently?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #851 on: March 21, 2021, 08:07:35 PM »
Skipped as in first time seen on the channel episodes? Or just skipped more recently?

More recently.  For example, prior to the marathon on January 23, they skipped several episodes without warning but the correct speculation was that they were skipping episodes slated for the special.  Then post marathon they skipped episodes that were part of said marathon

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #852 on: March 22, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
Other good ideas for these specials are marathons featuring a single game (Plinko, Golden Road, and Super Ball! come to mind in particular), bloopers, episodes featuring a chat from Barker's Beauties, and way down the road, premieres of new games.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #853 on: March 22, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »
Season 11 alone had 13 playings of Plinko. They already have enough for a 12-hour Plinko marathon.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #854 on: March 22, 2021, 12:30:08 PM »
Other good ideas for these specials are marathons featuring a single game (Plinko, Golden Road, and Super Ball! come to mind in particular), bloopers, episodes featuring a chat from Barker's Beauties, and way down the road, premieres of new games.

Or final game playings perhaps/focuses on retired games?