Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 361037 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #885 on: May 03, 2021, 08:37:54 AM »
I was interested in finding out some interesting stuff on the Price is Right Timeline, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.  What happened to the Timeline?
Nothing happened to it, it's still in its usual place.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #886 on: May 03, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »
John Ricci, Jr. once posted a clip of a Walk of Fame playing from around April 6, 1984 quite some time ago, and I remember reading in Golden-Road's past archived posts that someone was trying to pinpoint the date in which Holly Hallstrom returned to the show on a regular basis.  Initially, it was said that she returned by April 9, 1984, but after the Walk of Fame clip was uploaded, the date by which Holly returned was narrowed down by one episode.  Thanks to the Pluto TV channel, we may now be able to watch out for the actual episode's airdate in which Holly returned to the show after her short-lived acting career.  I was interested in finding out some interesting stuff on the Price is Right Timeline, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.  What happened to the Timeline?

I did happen to see the January 19, 1984 episode not long ago, and did discover an African-American model filling in for a model.  I learned that the model's name was Pat, and I am assuming she covered for Holly by that time.  However, I may have skimmed through the January 26, 1984 episode, and unless I overlooked, I could have sworn that Holly was in that episode.

The timeline is still around and continues to be updated. Its one of the links found in the FAQ button above. It could use a little more updating for a few things, such as the fact that the first appearance of 5-digit 3 Strikes is the 9/19/1983 episode based on that the previous two playings were for 4-digit cars.

We can actually narrow it down further when Holly returned after her mid-Season 12 hiatus. A clip of the 3/12/1984 episode features a playing of Bullseye, which includes Holly hauling out a stereo player (speaking of which in the clip, imagine Johnny's voice and the popular 1974 GP cue played at 45 RPM on a 33 1/3 disc!).

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,25973.0.html

I'm also curious to see when the production company "divorce" exactly happened around that time, whether it was before or after Holly's return (Bill Todman's estate leaving Mark Goodson, in this case Bill Todman Jr, who went on to be producer/co-producer for films such as "Hard to Kill" and "The Adventures". )
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:18:06 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #887 on: May 03, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »
We can actually narrow it down further when Holly returned after her mid-Season 12 hiatus. A clip of the 3/12/1984 episode features a playing of Bullseye, which includes Holly hauling out a stereo player.

That's not Holly!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #888 on: May 04, 2021, 02:35:43 AM »
It could use a little more updating for a few things

Honestly, it could use a little more updating on quite a lot of things.  For the time being, most updates are probably going to be for either Season 11 or Season 49 unless I have a day where I just get in the mood to hunt things down and fix stuff.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #889 on: May 05, 2021, 12:24:38 AM »
There is yet another reset to 4581.  No new content this time.  That's the bad news, but the good news is that they've addressed the episode description.  It seems odd that the YouTube episodes from Season 12 were booted there over a week ago
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #890 on: May 06, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »
Bob’s Verbal Ticks

It is with pain and remorse that I offer this critical observation. Mr Barker had two verbal ticks that got in the way of clarity.  Perhaps you will disagree:

First:
Hit Me— Bob had a reluctance or a verbal block in calling an ace an “ace”.  He would call it a “one” that could also be an eleven.  Found it odd that in his effort to parallel the playing of the game to Blackjack that he never got around to calling an Ace an Ace, for clarity’s sake.

Second:
Now and Then— Bob would use the phrase “three in a row” when explaining what is needed to win.  If he had used the phrase “side by side” or “connected to each other” it would have been more accurate and might have produced fewer blank stares from contestants.  Whatever the case, they are not in a “row”; sequentially or spatially in order to win. 
Just side by side.
Which reminds me, that would make a great name for a game in the future.
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #891 on: May 06, 2021, 07:35:27 PM »
It is with pain and remorse that I offer this critical observation. Mr Barker had two verbal ticks that got in the way of clarity.[=

On the contrary, I find this kind of discussion quite engaging since it only comes about in a day and age of overindulgement of 24/7 reruns that is so far removed from when these episodes originally aired.

Hit Me— Bob had a reluctance or a verbal block in calling an ace an “ace”.  He would call it a “one” that could also be an eleven.  Found it odd that in his effort to parallel the playing of the game to Blackjack that he never got around to calling an Ace an Ace, for clarity’s sake.

It may be this was to make simpler the "math" to the contestant.  It may also be that it was to avoid "locking" on the ace as eleven when the contestant, say, followed that with a deuce and then a ten.  You don't want to score them a bust.  I'm not sure if anybody's keeping track, but it would be interesting to see how strictly they played the ace in those years compared to later years when it was essentially a floating one or eleven, depending on what was most convenient.

Now and Then— Bob would use the phrase “three in a row” when explaining what is needed to win.  If he had used the phrase “side by side” or “connected to each other” it would have been more accurate and might have produced fewer blank stares from contestants.

Agreed.  The terminology of "three in a row" never made sense, since the products were not arranged in a row, nor was successive correctness pertinent to victory.

And as demonstrated by the clip uploaded to the YouTube channel today, while in later years in this game--when there was only one winning combination left, Bob would just pick a starting point and have the contestant go from there--I preferred the former way that in such a scenario, Bob would at least ask the contestant where he'd like to begin.  Yeah, it leads to the "blank stares" (since contestants who have messed up that badly to be locked into using all six products for a shot at victory generally haven't grasped the game very well), but it's akin to rolling a one or a six in the Dice Game.  It's just not right if the MC just plows along without getting the contestant to consent to "higher" or "lower" even if it's defaulted because a choice is still supposed to be made.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #892 on: May 10, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »
Well the long wait is finally over: 1391860624657899521[/tweet]]New Episodes Starting on Thursday May 13!

ETA: The Source and a link
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:13:18 PM by SeaBreeze341 »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #893 on: May 10, 2021, 05:18:55 PM »
5002D to 5051D would cover 9/20/83 to 10/24/83. Good deal!

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #894 on: May 10, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
I know some of y'all already know this, and for all I know I mentioned this one before:

The last show GSN aired back when they had the rights in the 90s was 5194D, OAD 2/9/1984.

I love this channel, I love having all these beautiful HQ eps of Price, and I'm grateful for whatever they run, but OH do I REALLY want them to make it past that date with new shows.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #895 on: May 10, 2021, 08:10:51 PM »
Same here.  Looks like we'll at least get through all of February 1984 by the start of summer.  I'll be happy when they do; I too cannot wait for them to go further. 

Not just the rest of Season 12, but Season 13 as well.  That is going to be a "nice treat" whenever those (1984-1985) make it onto Pluto!

If I recall correctly, the episodes that aired on 09/15, 09/16, and 09/19 did appear on GSN, at least for me at 8AM - 9AM Eastern about 22 years ago.  However, for whatever reason, those episode will not be included starting on Thursday

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #896 on: May 10, 2021, 08:49:01 PM »
Speaking of February 1984, I have an interesting question to bring up.  Could Pluto still broadcast the half-hour episode from February 21, 1984, or would that episode be skipped due to restricting to hour-long episodes for consistency's sake?

The February 21, 1984 episode was shortened to just 30 minutes for that day only due to the Pilsbury Bake-Off that aired as Price's lead-in. The format was the same as the earliest episodes in the series and the 1985-86 Tom Kennedy episodes - there was no Showcase Showdown.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:51:48 PM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #897 on: May 10, 2021, 09:35:30 PM »
Speaking of February 1984, I have an interesting question to bring up.  Could Pluto still broadcast the half-hour episode from February 21, 1984, or would that episode be skipped due to restricting to hour-long episodes for consistency's sake?

The February 21, 1984 episode was shortened to just 30 minutes for that day only due to the Pilsbury Bake-Off that aired as Price's lead-in. The format was the same as the earliest episodes in the series and the 1985-86 Tom Kennedy episodes - there was no Showcase Showdown.

I guess we'll find out within the next two months.  If I had to guess, they'll either air it twice or air it with lots and lots of commercials and ads within the hour.  I don't know if they'll move off of starting episodes at the top of each hour.  Of course they could skip it outright.  They could "lie" with the reason being that there is damage to the tape, and I wouldn't get mad (of course that episode may very well be damaged for real).  On the other hand, they could be honest and just simply say they're excluding half-hour episodes from their rotation

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #898 on: May 10, 2021, 09:47:39 PM »
Same here.  Looks like we'll at least get through all of February 1984 by the start of summer.  I'll be happy when they do; I too cannot wait for them to go further. 

Not just the rest of Season 12, but Season 13 as well.  That is going to be a "nice treat" whenever those (1984-1985) make it onto Pluto!

If I recall correctly, the episodes that aired on 09/15, 09/16, and 09/19 did appear on GSN, at least for me at 8AM - 9AM Eastern about 22 years ago.  However, for whatever reason, those episode will not be included starting on Thursday

At least those three episodes do circulate and I did watch them from their GSN airings shortly after Pluto finished its last lease. The 9/15/83 episode featured the first appearance of the fourth generation"C4" 1984 Chevy Corvette on Golden Road, as well as being the first prize worth more than $20,000 to ever be offered. It also had the "Big John Rovin' Reporter" Showcase. The 9/19 episode was also the first appearance of 5-digit 3 Strikes.

Here are links to those three "skipped" episodes to fill the void between the batches:

9/15: http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,26731.0.html

9/16: http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,22698.0.html (features some observations that I've noticed from the episodes currently circulating around this period)

9/19: http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,30740.0.html

100 episodes will take us five episodes past the end of the GSN lease assuming no episodes are skipped. Get ready for another exciting classic season of TV's #1 daytime game show of all time!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:52:39 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #899 on: May 11, 2021, 12:13:10 AM »

Hmm, that'd make the 2nd season in a row early episodes weren't aired no? That's kinda interesting. Coincidence maybe but interesting.