Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 362216 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #945 on: June 10, 2021, 11:12:52 PM »
The only thing that's worth speculating over is whether or not they ever swing back and do Seasons 1-10, because the rest we already know.
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't... though I'm honestly surprised that the cherry-picking GSN did when they had the rights didn't generate any paperwork (or at least paperwork accessible to Fremantle) that could save the time required to visually search the tape archives a second time.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #946 on: June 11, 2021, 12:09:37 AM »
What in God's name are you going on about here?  The channel's staff has already made it crystal clear that they plan to run every airable show they have from Season 11 all the way through Season 35.  The only thing that's worth speculating over is whether or not they ever swing back and do Seasons 1-10, because the rest we already know.

Yeah I didn't get that.....especially considering you got a whole generation of people (me included) that literally grew up on grey-haired Bob strictly, not to mention Rod. I can't see why the staff wouldn't wanna tap into that market of fans. It'd be foolish not to.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #947 on: June 11, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »
(or at least paperwork accessible to Fremantle)

It was my understanding that anything generated by GSN (including digitized shows) was not made accessible to Fremantle or Buzzr.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #948 on: June 12, 2021, 03:53:58 AM »
It was my understanding that anything generated by GSN (including digitized shows) was not made accessible to Fremantle or Buzzr.

Fremantle has used GSN copies for some of the shows they've been airing on Buzzr. It's mostly noticeable on the black and white shows like the Bill Cullen hosted Price is Right shown below. Easier to run those when they were already pre-screened back in the '90s for furs and cigarette sponsorships.

youtu.be/yhW2BAA9mdY?t=1672 (Just copy and paste the link to watch at the correct timestamp.)

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Fremantle has a master list of airable shows.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 03:56:47 AM by gsn93 »
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #949 on: June 12, 2021, 12:03:40 PM »
Fremantle has used GSN copies for some of the shows they've been airing on Buzzr. It's mostly noticeable on the black and white shows like the Bill Cullen hosted Price is Right shown below. Easier to run those when they were already pre-screened back in the '90s for furs and cigarette sponsorships.

youtu.be/yhW2BAA9mdY?t=1672 (Just copy and paste the link to watch at the correct timestamp.)

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Fremantle has a master list of airable shows.

Only difference here would be the fee plugs (particularly in 2nd SCSD), which GSN never did run back then but they have here. So that aspect would be a tad different I think.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #950 on: June 12, 2021, 03:20:33 PM »

From the "Before They Were Stars" department: Janet Jones, the future Mrs. Wayne Gretzky, was in one of the eps shown on Pluto TV so far, the April 4, 1983 ep. :D

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #951 on: June 12, 2021, 06:56:14 PM »
Ahhh I remember this episode!  Tough luck on Card Game; by the way, as the seasons and episodes come and go, it’ll be interesting to come across a lot of other “Before They Were Famous” contestants.  Personal note: Sort of like that one 90s movie “Can’t Hardly Wait” that I’ve seen about (or at least) 25 times where each time I watched it I learned that there was a future star that I didn’t really focus on previously.

To echo what may end up on the channel.  I’m still in a never-say-never moment when it comes to if and when they ever add the first 10 seasons or if they can get GSN material that Fremantle couldn’t air because they were working off of super-outdated material or whatever the reasons are.

I too never heard anything about the show sticking with Season 11-18.  I’ve followed the Social Media accounts for the channel, and several times they’ve emphasized that they plan to air everything from 1982-2007.  Feels like I’ll be dead before they get close, but despite what seems like it’ll be a while before they get to the end, it’s still super early in the history of the Barker Channel. 

Based on the current routine, they could reach early 1985 episodes by next February or around the winter months, and then by the end of next summer’s months, they could reach early 1986 episodes.  If that holds, then we’re talking about four seasons run on the channel roughly two years removed for the December 2020 start.  I think it’s okay, since that factors into keeping the early Season 11 shows in the rotation.

To be brief, each era has their pros and cons.  Sure you had the team of Bob, Johnny, Janice, Dian, and Holly then Rod succeeding Johnny later on.  Despite Dian & Holly’s departure, IMO, the show started to focus more on the contestants.  While the cast didn’t have many iconic moments (save for Bob), you got that with the contestants in a way that you didn’t see early in the Barker Era
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #952 on: June 14, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
The Social Media Account for the Barker Era PIR just announced their final release, which includes shows from January 18, 1984 to February 27, 1984.  Looks like 4 episodes will be skipped

1404574628341858306[/tweet]]Episodes 5163D to 5221D scheduled to drop on Wednesday, June 16th, 2021 at 5 PM Eastern.  In case someone can't watch those, they'll re-air again at the end of the month (on or around 06/29/2021)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:26:11 PM by SeaBreeze341 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #953 on: June 14, 2021, 07:45:44 PM »
The Social Media Account for the Barker Era PIR just announced their final release, which includes shows from January 18, 1984 to February 27, 1984.  Looks like 4 episodes will be skipped

Final release? What does that mean? That has to be a mistake on your part? I see nothing indicating it is a final one.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #954 on: June 14, 2021, 08:08:03 PM »
Final release? What does that mean? That has to be a mistake on your part? I see nothing indicating it is a final one.

My fault!  Bad choice of words.  Can't believe I posted that!

What I likely meant to say is that it's probably the last 25 episodes to get to 300 within the cycle.  Nothing final at all, just based on how they've done things in the past, it should be the last set of new episodes released for awhile

Offline brettreilly

• In the Audience
« Reply #955 on: June 14, 2021, 11:11:42 PM »
Hi everyone, been a long time and I know I’m very late to the party but…. It’s so beautiful. This is what we all wanted for many years, right? Since its last airing on GSN.

A couple of things I’ve noticed. They really are airing everything, and the show definitely had its… let’s just say not super PC moments. $100 pocket, etc.

Seeing Retired PGs like Super Ball, Trader Bob, and multiple airings of the Phone Home Game is so Fing cool. Did we already pass the last airings of Hurdles?

The game is so, so, so much better paced. Like compare this with a 2007 episode where they still made the show the same “live to tape” method but they were way more restricted in time. People more well versed than me can speak to how many more minutes of commercials were added but Bob clearly enjoyed having more time to riff with contestants.

I tear up a little bit every time I see “A Mark Goodson, Bill Todman production.”

Just can’t believe this is real. Thanks, going back to the abyss.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #956 on: June 15, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »
Episode #5113 has an unintentionally hilarious moment where during the Showcase Showdown, Bob mentions the idea of making a 24-hour network of nothing but Bob Barker-hosted television, using the shows he's made over the years. I bet he never thought it would happen.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #957 on: June 15, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
Episode #5113 has an unintentionally hilarious moment where during the Showcase Showdown, Bob mentions the idea of making a 24-hour network of nothing but Bob Barker-hosted television, using the shows he's made over the years. I bet he never thought it would happen.

I wonder what he thinks about it today, assuming he's aware.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #958 on: June 15, 2021, 07:32:51 PM »
I wonder what he thinks about it today, assuming he's aware.

I'm pretty willing to bet that he is aware.  Otherwise it would not have happened.

To be fair, I don't think there were any "24-hour" marathons or 24/7 networks around that time for any TV programming.  I think we were at least 15 years away.  Of course GSN surfaced about a decade removed from those comments (at least 10 years).  I couldn't easily dream of a 24-hour or 24/7/365 channel full of gameshows in 1994 let alone TPIR 26 years later

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #959 on: June 15, 2021, 08:27:25 PM »
I'm pretty willing to bet that he is aware.  Otherwise it would not have happened.

To be fair, I don't think there were any "24-hour" marathons or 24/7 networks around that time for any TV programming.  I think we were at least 15 years away.  Of course GSN surfaced about a decade removed from those comments (at least 10 years).  I couldn't easily dream of a 24-hour or 24/7/365 channel full of gameshows in 1994 let alone TPIR 26 years later

The only one I could think of would be ESPN, that debuted in 1979, or 3/4 years before this, but that wasn't all one show ever course. CNN would be another, coming on the next year after in 1980.