Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356454 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1110 on: September 15, 2021, 03:32:01 AM »
Found this on the YouTube page just now, not from the Big Wins Marathon far as I know (was from September 1983), but here's another big Golden Road winner for those interested.

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #1111 on: September 15, 2021, 05:12:20 PM »
Interesting. I wonder why they had 3 different versions for. That's kinda strange.
Because that's what they recorded at the music sessions?

There really isn't a reason why. It just is what it is.

There is a 4th version with Moog synth that was never used on the show.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 05:15:36 PM by NickintheATL »

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #1112 on: September 16, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »
So this was an episode when Bob didn't do a walking through the audience intro with Golden Road as the 1st game. Wonder when that started. Also, how long was the elegant car cue with saxophones played when the top prize was revealed for Golden Road?
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1113 on: September 16, 2021, 10:58:59 AM »
So this was an episode when Bob didn't do a walking through the audience intro with Golden Road as the 1st game. Wonder when that started. Also, how long was the elegant car cue with saxophones played when the top prize was revealed for Golden Road?

That didn't start till 1988 or so (may have been 89 even, there was a comment on a YouTube video that alluded to this I believe, but I can't find it currently). Stage entrance was standard no matter what game opened the show till then.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1114 on: September 16, 2021, 12:56:04 PM »
Several people would never believe that Temptation was the very first game played in the first act within an episode featuring a Bob Barker audience entrance.

As mentioned, audience entrances weren't a thing until Season 17 (toward the end of that season).  Golden Road wasn't a secret before then, and games that blocked Door 2, including & especially Plinko & 3 Strikes just weren't played first
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:04:01 PM by SeaBreeze341 »
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1115 on: September 16, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
Several people would never believe that Temptation was the very first game played in the first act within an episode featuring a Bob Barker audience entrance.

As mentioned, audience entrances weren't a thing until Season 17 (toward the end of that season).  Golden Road wasn't a secret before then, and games that blocked Door 2, including & especially Plinko & 3 Strikes just weren't played first

How many games did they have that blocked Door 2 at the time they started them? As I recall too, the first non April Fools audience entrance (I presume the one you alluded to that had Temptation played first, that one being on 4/1/81 for anyone here unaware), had 3 Strikes played first from the comment I saw.

Also as an aside, I have noticed in shows that had GR first pre audience entrances, often times Bob would seemingly walk around the dots as he walked out, was there any staging reason for that? Or just a preference?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #1116 on: September 16, 2021, 08:23:11 PM »
We're continuing on with the new drop at 8AM tomorrow morning most likely!
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1117 on: September 16, 2021, 10:47:26 PM »
We're continuing on with the new drop at 8AM tomorrow morning most likely!

I’m not entirely sure where this drop is picking up but I’m guessing we’re still one or two drops away from the debut of One Away?

There was an early playing with a little old lady that circulated back in the day in exceptionally poor quality of Bob absolutely clueless about the honks occurring in the second half of the game (“I want to hear the little horn!”). The horn honking begins but so does the reveal of the price digit by digit…one ahead of the honks. This results in the contestant realizing she has won before Bob realizing it and blows his build up. It’s a clip I’ve wanted in high quality for a long time and want to make sure not to miss it when it airs.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1118 on: September 16, 2021, 10:59:08 PM »
I’m not entirely sure where this drop is picking up but I’m guessing we’re still one or two drops away from the debut of One Away?

There was an early playing with a little old lady that circulated back in the day in exceptionally poor quality of Bob absolutely clueless about the honks occurring in the second half of the game (“I want to hear the little horn!”). The horn honking begins but so does the reveal of the price digit by digit…one ahead of the honks. This results in the contestant realizing she has won before Bob realizing it and blows his build up. It’s a clip I’ve wanted in high quality for a long time and want to make sure not to miss it when it airs.

Speaking of cluelessness on the contestant side, found this gem tonight. This guy gives the infamous Ten Chances Joy from the 2000's a run for her money.....albeit much more likeable than she lol.

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1119 on: September 16, 2021, 11:44:20 PM »
Whoa, what happened to pricefan18?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1120 on: September 17, 2021, 09:01:38 AM »
Not sure what happened there.  Kinda surprising!

Anyway, for those following with the channel, they are no longer skipping episodes that were part of Sunday's special.  I guess, as mentioned, it was related to the fact that the ones that were skipped would've aired too close to the marathon
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1121 on: September 17, 2021, 04:00:08 PM »
Whoa, what happened to pricefan18?

What happened is I realized who he was.

It's one thing to be a goof.  It's quite another to prove you're still the same goof you were 15 years ago.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #1122 on: September 17, 2021, 09:51:02 PM »
The tugboat just made its maiden voyage in IUFB6 on 5325D!
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1123 on: September 18, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »
6pm tonight is the last episode of the cycle (5361D).
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1124 on: September 18, 2021, 04:20:32 PM »
For the most current cycle, where can I see what episodes were aired and at what time?

And what episodes were included in the latest cycle? Apparently the Pluto guide has been way off during this one. It says they're on 5364 right now, which is obviously wrong.