Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 362235 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1410 on: January 31, 2023, 09:17:37 PM »
I'm sure as you watch these eps on this channel, there are some prizes that make you say "Only in the 80s". XD

What are some examples? I can think of some of the computers offered in this era. :D

Offline C8

« Reply #1411 on: January 31, 2023, 10:17:05 PM »
I'm sure as you watch these eps on this channel, there are some prizes that make you say "Only in the 80s". XD

What are some examples? I can think of some of the computers offered in this era. :D

The furniture! Omg the furniture. How did we survive the onslaught of waterbeds, [gaudy] brass, mauve, and rattan?!?!

The one that takes the cake are the $800 chairs made of PVC. Egad!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:20:50 PM by C8 »

Online DYC

« Reply #1412 on: February 01, 2023, 03:16:46 AM »

The AMC car brand.
Tappan and Gibson Appliances.
Haggar Slacks and cans of paint in SP games.
Bakers racks, big wooden rocking horses and the globe on a stand that opens up into a bar set

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1413 on: February 01, 2023, 03:53:40 AM »

When the prize is a car with the passenger side facing the camera, and the model does that move where she walks around past the hood so she winds up walking backward along the passenger side, I think about how she'll have to be careful not to back into the side mirror. Only to realize that there is no mirror on the passenger side.

I may have mentioned this before, but it seemed like Dian was determined to sit on every single pool table the show offered. That is not how pool tables were meant to be used, Dian.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1414 on: February 01, 2023, 06:14:30 AM »
I may have mentioned this before, but it seemed like Dian was determined to sit on every single pool table the show offered. That is not how pool tables were meant to be used, Dian.

Many of our teenage fantasies would disagree with you.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1415 on: February 01, 2023, 07:11:39 AM »
Many of our teenage fantasies would disagree with you.

Not to mention Barker himself, probably...

Getting back on the topic of prizes that were a product of their time, I must say that that yellow Ford Fairmont 2-door they offered on almost every show in Season 12 is one of the most butt-ugly cars I've ever seen.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1416 on: February 01, 2023, 03:54:17 PM »
An interesting thing about watching the episodes being run on Pluto is to see culture evolve in fast forward; to me in 1982, many of the styles, prizes and aspects of the show's set were still stuck in the 70s, but by some point in 1984/5 much of what we think of as iconically 80s was in full force. A lot of the things mentioned as being "only in the 80s" were also pretty 70s things that just hadn't gone away yet.

One thing from the show I think is probably "only in the 80s" is our friend the fourth model, who was called about 12 different names but was mostly just called The Robot. Too futuristic for the 70s, but by the 90s, too clunky and awkward.

The video game consoles were also a distinctly 80s prize. Although they continued to appear sometimes in the ensuing decades, they were a really common prize for much of the 80s when arcade fever was at its strongest. The home video console had taken a bite out of the appeal of huge video game machines by the 90s.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:58:49 PM by actual_retail_tice »

Taylor

« Reply #1417 on: February 03, 2023, 11:37:31 AM »
One other thing I wanted to know: Who at Fremantle decides which TPiR episodes to block before fresh ones are rolled out?

Online Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1418 on: February 07, 2023, 11:06:36 AM »
Not to mention Barker himself, probably...

Getting back on the topic of prizes that were a product of their time, I must say that that yellow Ford Fairmont 2-door they offered on almost every show in Season 12 is one of the most butt-ugly cars I've ever seen.

Maybe, but the Fairmont sold reasonably well, got generally positive reviews from the motoring press and, if equipped with all the available factory options (i.e., power windows/locks/seat, air conditioning, AM/FM stereo with cassette player, illuminated entry system, etc.), the Interior Luxury Group (had upgraded seat upholstery, carpeting and insulation, among other things), all the exterior trim (including a vinyl roof and dual remote OSRV mirrors), SelectShift automatic transmission and the top V-8 engine (this also assumes power steering and brakes were also included on the car, whether as standard fare or options), you'd get a fairly comfortable, quiet and well-insulated vehicle for its time.

Just a comment on the car itself.

Brian

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1419 on: February 08, 2023, 09:18:53 AM »
An interesting thing about watching the episodes being run on Pluto is to see culture evolve in fast forward; to me in 1982, many of the styles, prizes and aspects of the show's set were still stuck in the 70s, but by some point in 1984/5 much of what we think of as iconically 80s was in full force. A lot of the things mentioned as being "only in the 80s" were also pretty 70s things that just hadn't gone away yet.

One thing from the show I think is probably "only in the 80s" is our friend the fourth model, who was called about 12 different names but was mostly just called The Robot. Too futuristic for the 70s, but by the 90s, too clunky and awkward.

The video game consoles were also a distinctly 80s prize. Although they continued to appear sometimes in the ensuing decades, they were a really common prize for much of the 80s when arcade fever was at its strongest. The home video console had taken a bite out of the appeal of huge video game machines by the 90s.

I'm surprised that the show abandoned consoles basically until the Drew Era, which is a shame since some of the lesser known ones like the Turbografx-16, NEO-GEO, Atari Jaguar, or even the Sega Master System/Saturn if the show had offered products from Sega in the past.

Take from example 8-Track players and CB Radios, both peaking in the '70s in terms of popularity, but were still offered at least as late as 1985. That said, those arcade machines did continue into the '90s and beyond, and even the '70s had some pinball machines as well, back when the scoring dials were analog.

Answering machines, most famously the Record A Call also were in peak vogue in the '80s, and PYL also offered those as a round 1 prize. Cordless landlines also first came out in the '80s and were a frequent as an SP in the '90s and early '00s. Voice mail and later VoIP replaced them in the '90s and '00s.

Finally, lots of exercise equipment first gained their electronic features, including speed, distance, and pulse displays in the '80s. It's a far cry from the multimedia screens that first appeared around the turn of this century and can watch TV or even browse the web on them. You still had lots of the old, analog-only bikes though for most of the Pluto episodes so far.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Taylor

« Reply #1420 on: February 09, 2023, 01:18:59 PM »
I assume today’s when we find out where Pluto will reset to after episode 550 airs this afternoon.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1421 on: February 09, 2023, 01:49:34 PM »
I assume today’s when we find out where Pluto will reset to after episode 550 airs this afternoon.

No, that was several weeks ago, the first time they got that far and looped back to episode 51.

This is not your own personal thread for whatever project you've got going, dude.  You'll find out when new episodes are going to be added at the same time everyone else does.  Asking about it over and over is not going to make it happen faster.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Taylor

« Reply #1422 on: February 09, 2023, 03:00:28 PM »
No, that was several weeks ago, the first time they got that far and looped back to episode 51.

This is not your own personal thread for whatever project you've got going, dude.  You'll find out when new episodes are going to be added at the same time everyone else does.  Asking about it over and over is not going to make it happen faster.

Now I understand, thanks for letting me know.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1423 on: February 09, 2023, 03:20:57 PM »
Speaking of Roku, it looks like they are back to the Freevee feed (approximately 50 minutes for each episode, fewer commercials) recently.

Taylor

« Reply #1424 on: February 13, 2023, 07:32:35 PM »
Speaking of Roku, it looks like they are back to the Freevee feed (approximately 50 minutes for each episode, fewer commercials) recently.
And the Roku guide with episode numbers match what’s showing on the stream.