Author Topic: 2021 Obituaries Thread  (Read 83637 times)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: 2021 Obituaries Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2021, 03:36:01 PM »
RIP Ed Asner and thanks for all the good memories in MTM and all your other work.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »
RIP Ed Asner and thanks for all the good memories in MTM and all your other work.

The original newsroom members at WJM are all together again. I'm speaking of 1970-1973, prior to Betty White joining the cast, which in order IIRC were Ted, Mary, Valerie, Chloris, Gavin and now Ed ... the original six from the early years. Georgette Engel (who played Ted Knight's wife) also has since died. Only pre-Betty White semi-regular left is Joyce Bulifant (Gavin McLeod's wife) and – as I just saw – John Amos (the weatherman, Gordon Howard).

And to think that there is at least one 1960s TV show – "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" – where the primary characters (Mark Miller and Pat Crowley, and the four boys who played their sons) are all still living; some supporting cast members have passed (Dub Taylor and Bonnie Franklin among them), but "... Daisies" is believed to be the earliest show where all the primary cast members are still living. How crazy is that?

Thanks for the memories, Ed! Take care of the newsroom for us.

Side note: I hope this renews interest in "Lou Grant" reruns on TV. Lots of relevant newsroom issues that I think the public needs to see.

Brian

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »
The original newsroom members at WJM are all together again. I'm speaking of 1970-1973, prior to Betty White joining the cast, which in order IIRC were Ted, Mary, Valerie, Chloris, Gavin and now Ed ... the original six from the early years. Georgette Engel (who played Ted Knight's wife) also has since died. Only pre-Betty White semi-regular left is Joyce Bulifant (Gavin McLeod's wife) and – as I just saw – John Amos (the weatherman, Gordon Howard).

And to think that there is at least one 1960s TV show – "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" – where the primary characters (Mark Miller and Pat Crowley, and the four boys who played their sons) are all still living; some supporting cast members have passed (Dub Taylor and Bonnie Franklin among them), but "... Daisies" is believed to be the earliest show where all the primary cast members are still living. How crazy is that?

Thanks for the memories, Ed! Take care of the newsroom for us.

Side note: I hope this renews interest in "Lou Grant" reruns on TV. Lots of relevant newsroom issues that I think the public needs to see.

Brian

During lockdown last year I was watching Lou Grant episodes someone posted on YouTube. WONDERFUL show!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2021, 04:37:57 PM »
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #244 on: September 05, 2021, 04:15:30 PM »
Willard Scott, former weather presenter for Today passed away at 87:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/willard-scott-legendary-today-show-weatherman-dies-at-87/ar-AAO6pEw?ocid=uxbndlbing

Not to mention the original Ronald McDonald (on a local basis in Washington, DC, before the company brought the character to a national setting).

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #245 on: September 05, 2021, 09:43:12 PM »
Always enjoyed Willard during the stretch he co-hosted Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, particularly whenever he'd attempt imitate Woody Woodpecker's laugh whenever Woody's balloon (my own personal favorite from back in the day, unfortunately retired after the Cat in the Hat's mishap) passed the broadcast position. 

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2021, 01:33:15 PM »
Sarah Harding, who was a member of the UK pop gtoup Girls Aloud, passed away on September 5, 2021 after a battle with cancer.  She was 39. https://variety.com/2021/music/news/sarah-harding-dead-dies-girls-aloud-singer-1235056843/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:36:47 PM by dagdoggnh »

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »
Actor Michael K. Williams, known for his roles as a regular on many acclaimed HBO series such as The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Night Of, and Lovecraft Country, has passed away at age 54. Cause of death not disclosed.

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2021, 11:53:26 PM »
Michael Constantine, 94, actor who played the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding; also played principal Seymour Kaufman on Room 222 from 1969 to 1974.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/michael-constantine-the-father-in-e2-80-98my-big-fat-greek-wedding-e2-80-99-dies-at-94/ar-AAOeWxn?ocid=uxbndlbing

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2021, 02:30:54 PM »
Norm McDonald, best known for being a cast member and the Weekend Update anchor from 1993 to 1998 on Saturday Night Live, passed away after a nine-year private battle with cancer, he was 61.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2021, 02:57:23 PM »
Yet another situation where the death of a star leaves me in shock but would not have been stunned at all if it was disclosed.  I was surprised here because Norm was seen on SNL's 40th Anniversary special within that timeframe, though over 6.5 years ago.

I think I remember reading something on his health not too long ago, but I likely forgot about it.  Also, I saw him every-so-often, but given how time flies, those appearances could've been no later than 4-5 years ago.  Regardless, a rather underrated actor.  Pretty close to Adam Sandler & Dave Letterman.  Glad he returned to Saturday Night Live after his exit that wasn't on the best terms.  At the time it seemed like an eternity when he left midway through Season 23, but it was about a year and a half upon returning to host in Season 25 soon after his segment with Chevy Chase & Dennis Miller on Weekend Update on the 25th Anniversary special.

Tough loss, and while it's been a couple of weeks, same goes for Ed Asner.  Losing too many legends; it's not cool when you tune into something to see someone, and you won't be able to do that anymore. That's just the way it goes, sadly.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »
Losing too many legends; it's not cool when you tune into something to see someone, and you won't be able to do that anymore. That's just the way it goes, sadly.

Not to curse anyone, but I noted sometime back on another blogboard that in time, we will get a headline noting that the last remaining Rolling Stones member or the last surviving Beatle had passed. (Happily, Paul and Ringo, and Mick and Keith are still with us.)

As they said in the old country song by Tracy Lawrence, "Time marches on ... time marches on."

Brian

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2021, 11:29:12 PM »
I only knew him from Celebrity Jeopardy, but man, I enjoyed every minute of his appearances. RIP
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #253 on: September 15, 2021, 12:57:31 AM »
I have no words. ​Rest in peace, you old chunk o' coal.

tpir04, if you're ever interested in going down the rabbit hole, his monologue during Letterman's final shows and his ESPYs monologue are a must-watch if you're interested in getting to know his sense of humor. There's truly nobody else like him.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline AvsFan

• In the Audience
« Reply #254 on: September 15, 2021, 01:11:47 AM »
Norm's Celebrity WWtBaM appearance had a good amount of humorous moments as well.

RIP Norm.