Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 2/17/2021 (TPiR Season 49 Big Money Week - Day 3)  (Read 2444 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 2/17/2021 (TPiR Season 49 Big Money Week - Day 3)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:22 AM »
A bit late, but Pass The Buck! :)  One of my favorite games! Three picks total, and some suspense! I definitely would have stopped with the $30K.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
But Pass the Buck isn't a cash game.  It's a car game.

But is it still a car game if it's played exclusively for cash and in the same half as Money Game?

Big Money Week completely screws with the preexisting definitions. We want every game to be classifiable and to fit into neat little boxes, but it's totally possible we're holding onto rules that no longer exist.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 04:37:27 PM »
Big Money Week does indeed mess with those definitions. In messing with them, I mean it can confuse a lot of people.  However, it’s a great week and I guess the average player wouldn’t care as much if they’re considered winners or losers if that player won a significant amount of money.

Pass the Buck is still a car game regardless of whether Money Game is played immediately before or immediately after it.  Money Game or any other car game would have no influence on whether PTB is a car game or a cash game if both were played within the same half.  There was an episode more than 25 years ago where Money Game was played in the same half as the Card Game.  Even though Card Game was played fourth, it was still a car game.  Similar to PTB, Card Game made its debut (or was created) as a car game.

Not the best example, but if PTB offered a new piano as a substitute for a car (they would not) while the other prizes were nice cash prizes, possibly more than the piano, you'd be considered a winner (in terms of winning or losing) without the cash.

A better example might be Five Price Tags, which has been played right after One Away in the past.  If that were offered as cash, with four smaller cash amounts plus a big cash prize of $60,000, a player could miss three choices, and still pick a tag that had $60,000 behind it.  That would count as a win even though he or she left some money on the table for missing 3 of 4 guesses in the SP portion of the game
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 05:20:10 PM »
Pass the Buck is still a car game regardless of whether Money Game is played immediately before or immediately after it.

How do we know this?

In the past, somebody would reach out to Roger or Scott or whoever was in charge of the show's stats and ask them what a "win" was, and that's how we got the rules in the FAQ. But those rules were made before Big Money Week existed. How do we know they aren't changing the definition of a "cash game" or a "car game" or a "win" as appropriate for the occasion?

A better example might be Five Price Tags, which has been played right after One Away in the past.  If that were offered as cash, with four smaller cash amounts plus a big cash prize of $60,000, a player could miss three choices, and still pick a tag that had $60,000 behind it.  That would count as a win even though he or she left some money on the table for missing 3 of 4 guesses in the SP portion of the game

I'm not following. That's basically a completely different game wearing Five Price Tags as a skinsuit.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 06:40:22 PM »
How do we know this?

I'm not following. That's basically a completely different game wearing Five Price Tags as a skinsuit.

My fault; maybe it wasn't a great example after all.  Can't delete it now.

Five Price Tags is a real car game.  But I can't use that for a realistic example here.

To best be clear, I'll go the other way.  If they played Plinko for 5 cars & replaced the center slot with a car, if they announced the top award as a chance to win up to 5 cars?  You can win 1-2 cars but still not be considered a winner.  The show would go by the rules based off of the type of game being played.  Plinko is a cash game, not a car game.

How do we know this?

In the past, somebody would reach out to Roger or Scott or whoever was in charge of the show's stats and ask them what a "win" was, and that's how we got the rules in the FAQ. But those rules were made before Big Money Week existed. How do we know they aren't changing the definition of a "cash game" or a "car game" or a "win" as appropriate for the occasion?

I'm not sure if the show can change the rules and definitions over a week full of special shows.  What determines a win can be found right here.  It's not easy to figure out how they tally up a win or loss; I personally separate some of the special weeks from regular weeks given the complexity of those weeks
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 07:41:52 PM »
We're getting into "If a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its butt hopping" territory.

My question is not "would X be considered a win if...". My question is "How do we know we're right?"

I'm not sure if the show can change the rules and definitions over a week full of special shows.

Why wouldn't they be able to? It's not a legal definition, it's for internal record keeping. The categories were made for the pricing games, not the pricing games for the categories.

What determines a win can be found right here.

Yes, I'm aware of what the FAQ says, as I said earlier.

We got that information because members of this site were closely connected to the people tracking the stats. That connection was severed before Big Money Week existed. So how do we know that the information in the FAQ is still accurate and applies during Big Money Week? If they were treating the Big Money games differently, we would have no way of knowing. It's not like the show is going to release a public statement saying "By the way, Pass The Buck we only would have considered Pass the Buck to have been 'won' if Francis had..."

It's only a "problem" for us because we're obsessive TPIR fans and we want each show to be able to be cataloged cleanly as "3/6" or "4/6". You're free to think that Francis would have won had he found $50K or that PTB was a car game and not a cash game in this scenario, it's no skin off my back. But without the Word of God saying otherwise it's ambiguous.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 08:15:39 AM »
Sorry for the delayed post but it looks like the did away with the carousel for the 4 SPs in Bonus Game now that Shell Game got a redesign.  Does that look to be the case?  If so too bad.  thanks,
JT