Author Topic: How badly did CBS want Drew?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
How badly did CBS want Drew?
« on: March 03, 2021, 12:45:26 AM »
A thought came to my mind, inspired by these posts in the "Jeopardy To Resume Taping On 11/30 With Interim Guest Hosts" thread:

Do you think Dan Patrick would take a shot at hosting the mothership after hosting the sports version?

I guess it would depend on whether it's more or less demanding than what his duties were when he hosted FNIA (Football Night In America).  TBH despite a rather long-shot, I can't see his show moving out of Connecticut for Jeopardy, nor do I see production moving near or close to the New England area to accommodate him

Anyway, the part I've highlighted in bold made me wonder.  As badly as CBS wanted him, if Drew had said he'd only do it if the show moved operations to Cleveland (or anywhere else he wanted), would they have accommodated him?

I know, it's a waaaaaay out of left field thought, but given that CBS told him the job was his if he wanted it, he wouldn't have to audition, and they offered him more money than God, do you think they would have taken the show out of Los Angeles if they felt it was the only way to get him to sign on?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: How badly did CBS want Drew?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 01:55:47 AM »
I know, it's a waaaaaay out of left field thought, but given that CBS told him the job was his if he wanted it, he wouldn't have to audition, and they offered him more money than God, do you think they would have taken the show out of Los Angeles if they felt it was the only way to get him to sign on?
Possibly, since I've heard that they offered to move the show to New York to accommodate Tom Bergeron, if he'd wanted it.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 02:24:11 AM »
Possibly, since I've heard that they offered to move the show to New York to accommodate Tom Bergeron, if he'd wanted it.

Tom himself confirmed that story some time back. He couldn't let them do that though.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »
Two reasons why this idea is utterly absurd...

1. Drew has lived in the LA area for a long time, even before he was offered TPiR.
2. Even though he still supports Cleveland whenever he can, he's smart enough to understand that they just wouldn't have the facilities or resources to support a major network production like TPiR.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »
Keep in mind that the moving proposal was for Tom, not Drew. And hearing Tom's story- it was very, very close to happening.