Author Topic: It begins today!  (Read 29290 times)

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: It begins today!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 04:31:12 AM »
My gosh, what have they done to Plinko?!?  I'm going to need a lobotomy after seeing that.   :evil:

Offline TonicBH

• Outside in Line
    • You Found a Secret Area!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 05:53:00 AM »
This looks sad, after seeing some good moments from the earlier UK series, this looks horrid.

I somehow think this revival isn't gonna last very long without some form of retooling.

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 07:56:22 AM »
Great one guys judging it on the first episode.

I much prefer episode two over one, Take 2 for example nice new game board, so was any number.

I just wish Americans wouldnt judge it to the US versions, Plinko was well horride im sure there was a few complaints to ofcom who will no doubt ignore it.

Its just panto inspired 2nd episode the showcase was won, and music clearly inspired by panto was played.

The set is modern yes and bright yes it suites Joe, the prizes are cheap because its daily with a budget of £25,000 now thats not much less than BPiR had weekly even with inflation!

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 10:54:25 AM »
Don't you reckon it's rather harsh to criticise the new series when it hasn't even been on a week.  And besides the US have changed their pricing game props a few times over the years so why shouldn't we.  Some other countries have rather strange pricing game props, Australia's castle design for Clock Game for instance, but it's fun.  I've said this before but I think Joe will go a long long way with this show.  He said on This Morning he hopes to do a Bob Barker and clock up over 30 years.  I hope he does, he's fantastic!

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 11:32:12 AM »
urbanpreppie0004 Asian themed plinko is because Joe is famous for his roles in Panto and he loves it, its obviously his suggestion.

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 04:07:14 PM »
I saw it and its a good verson. Its not as bad as what yall said i love the theme music joe is very patient with the contestents.  joe is doing a good job long live jpir

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »
http://rapidshare.de/files/20051501/PiR_Day_3.zip.html

Photos from Episode 3 with the US inspired Pick a Pair, Cliffy and Joe's Bargin Bar.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 07:00:39 PM »
You know, I think this program is getting a lot of flack that it doesn't deserve.  The host sounds, to put it bluntly, like someone is squeezing his balls in a vice, but he's ignorable, and aside from that, the show's actually pretty good.  I actually think the Plinko board looks better than Bruce's, and Take Two being modeled after a movie clapboard is a pretty neat idea.

There are a few things I don't like:  Pick-a-Pair looks to have been simplified when doing so is totally unnecessary (in the last seven seasons, I don't think it's been lost even ten times); "Joe's Bargain Bar" is a stupid name, and it's not like no one over there knows that there's supposed to be triple alliteration in the title; and 1 Right Price...well, isn't 1 Right Price.

I don't think I'd make it appointment television like I do the Barker version, and I don't think it's as good as Bruce's Price Is Right...but it's still a decent show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline hmtriplecrown

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 11:12:18 PM »
I've seen a second episode.  Pick-a-Pair with *4* items?  Wow.

If I can get by Joe P.'s voice, the overall cheapness of the prizes and the show in multiple ways, the hyperspeed showcase range randomizer, and the offensive (again in multiple ways) Plinko, I could warm up to it.  It's not Bruce's PiR by any means but it could be an OK show with a one or two-year run on its own merits.

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 05:34:46 AM »
Thats the third episode in the run btw.

Also we have had 3 perfect shows in terms of pricing games, if thats not good what can be?

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 10:29:43 AM »
I'd argue the point about "cheap" prizes.

BPiR, in the dozen (or so) eps I've seen, never had an IUFB cost more than £400.

The premiere Plinko gifts were actually quite a bit more than the US would use. (That TV/DVD thing would be about US$180)

And, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but the Showcase Rangefinder is the same Brucie had. Why bag on it?

As I said on Invision, where Bruce had an upscale feel, Joe has a club/disco atmosphere. It works for what it is, on it's own.

And, yes, Plinko, is un-PC.

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 05:49:26 AM »
True, Joe does have a high voice but that doesn't make him less capable of hosting a gameshow than anyone else.  He's slowly but surely making the show his own in the same way Leslie/Bob/Bruce did.  In 1995 I remember it looked a little different with Bruce having watched Leslie for years but after a few episodes in many ways it was pretty much the same.

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 07:43:23 AM »
Im going to get a little flamed for this.

But the person I enjoyed most out of the UK hosts is really Bob Warman because he carries it so well for a news reader and its only what maybe 6-8 months max after Leslies was canned, of course he was going to get compaired to him, by people with satellite at that time.

It was 7 years before Brucie took over and wasnt so much in the lime light of Leslie, and its 5 years for Joe but with reruns on Challenge its not so easy for him.

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 08:52:22 AM »
That's very true.  After such hard acts to follow all Joe is doing is being himself so as not to be too much like his predessesors which is a good thing.  I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him for a long time to come.  Despite being best known for his zany comedy I find him totally credible as a presenter and I certainly hope we see more of him in this light.

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 08:52:22 AM »
That's very true.  After such hard acts to follow all Joe is doing is being himself so as not to be too much like his predessesors which is a good thing.  I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him for a long time to come.  Despite being best known for his zany comedy I find him totally credible as a presenter and I certainly hope we see more of him in this light.