Author Topic: $1,000 for a dollar on the wheel, time to change?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
$1,000 for a dollar on the wheel, time to change?
« on: March 13, 2021, 07:04:23 AM »
A perfect bid in Contestant's Row increased from $100 to $500.

A DSW range increased from $99 or less to $250 or less.

All car pricing games have been amended over the years to adjust for inflation.

Even the bonus spins on the big wheel have increased.

So why is it still just $1,000 for $1.00 on the initial spin or spins?  Why not up it to $2,500 at least by now?

Not that I'd turn down $1,000 mind you, but I mean it is the same payout now as it was in 1975.  Just wondering what all of your thoughts are about this.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: $1,000 for a dollar on the wheel, time to change?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 07:22:12 AM »
I always thought when we got to the year 2000, it should have doubled to $2,000.  I think it should be $2,000 now for sure.  Winning $1,000 in 1975 is like winning $3,800 today so $2,000 is a respectable prize and you know you are clearing at least a grand after taxes!

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 08:27:14 AM »
If I had to pick a place to inject more money, it would be updating the Grand Game prize to $20,000.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 08:55:10 AM »
Grand Game's top prize is actually still a little above average if you factored all non-car games at this time, although keep in mind, the GP setups back in the '80s were tougher than they are today, with multiple tricks like family-size packaging and multiple items that hug the Target Price. Its not like these don't exist nowadays, but GG was won less on average compared to recent years.

Or increasing the bonus for ordering the groceries correctly in Hole In One, which actually has been awarded less often than it already has been, as rarely as its given away. If it's won only once a season on average, I'd add a 2 at the beginning of that gold flag, with an extra 0 to that flag at the end for primetime. Its beyond overdue for an increase since a similar retired game played back in the mid-80s using various skilled offered a bonus for twice that amount, and it was easier to win. But at least up the bonus to $1000 even if that's still worth far less than what $500 bought in 1977. Think about how much a movie ticket cost to see the first Star Wars movie (released the same month as Hole In One) as well as one from the sequel trilogy.

Even the Card Game is soon to be due for a higher opening bid with the last two cars offered around $9-$10K above it, despite the easier ranges to zero in on the price.

Since the main goal of the SCSD is to simply get into the Showcase anyways, and getting a dollar usually means that you will make it over there, barring an unlikely Spinoff/Bonus combo. The real money in the SCSD comes from the Bonus Spin, and the higher payouts there make it exciting to watch even if the spinner has already secured a spot in the Showcase at that point.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:59:37 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 11:48:48 AM »
I was surprised they didn't increase the dollar bonus along with the green section and dollar bonus in the bonus spin at the time. $1,000 went a lot further when it began than it does now, perhaps they could stand to up it again or maybe offer a bonus amount depending on the number hit (like on the celebrity guest shows when they multiply the number hit by a thousand) if the green section or dollar isn't hit in the bonus spin.

However, remember the wheel's main purpose is to determine who goes to the Showcase round, not to give away money.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:57:36 PM »
Not everything needs to scale with inflation.

$1,000 is nice clean number that needs no explanation.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »
Not everything needs to scale with inflation.

$1,000 is nice clean number that needs no explanation.

Agreed.  Increasing it to $2000 doesn't add any more excitement to proceedings whatsoever, and would only mean less of the prize budget is going towards the pricing game prizes, which in turn makes it more likely for more of them to be set up for losses.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 06:52:10 AM »
Agreed.  Increasing it to $2000 doesn't add any more excitement to proceedings whatsoever, and would only mean less of the prize budget is going towards the pricing game prizes, which in turn makes it more likely for more of them to be set up for losses.

That's one angle and aspect that I had not previously considered. 

Superb thoughts all!  I appreciate it!

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 09:56:24 AM »
$1,000 is nothing to sneeze at when you win it with pure luck.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 07:30:01 PM »
I’m pretty neutral as it relates to whether $1,000 on the Big Wheel should stay that way or move to $2,000 or $2,500.  I guess while I was happy for increase for money won within one’s bonus spin, I was a bit surprised that they left the first bonus winnings alone.  I guess it wasn’t necessary to increase the bonus payouts within the bonus spin, but it’s fair enough since it’s rare that people hit a nickel, 15 cents or one dollar, should they be fortunate enough to make $1 in one spin or a combination of two spins.

As mentioned, whatever they have now is good enough since the goal in the SCSD is to make the showcase.  I wouldn’t mind if they increased it, but the thing with that is that people might spin again when they don’t have to.  They would to collect more money, which might result in that person spinning a total that exceeds $1 after they (unofficially) clinched a spot in the showcase.

That being said, I‘ve often thought that TPTB or whomever could turn 80 cents or 90 cents into a $5000 prize within a bonus spin.  I understand that it’s not traditional to do so, but if that actually happened on a permanent basis, I’d be okay with it
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 12:29:28 AM »
The $1,000 bonus doesn't need to increase with inflation, since the other prize that you (usually) get for winning the Showdown - a shot at the showcases - already increases with inflation.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy