Author Topic: A Thread About Game Show Home/Video Games  (Read 1922 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
A Thread About Game Show Home/Video Games
« on: March 15, 2021, 02:58:24 PM »
Hey, all. I haven't seen a thread like this, so I thought I'd make one: This is about game show home/video games. Let me begin.
-----
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-press-your-luck-board-game/35009555 - I had been waffling around, considering purchasing this new Press Your Luck home game, but here are some glaring problems with it, per one Game Show Forum review:
Regarding the "appcessory":

1. I can't believe I can just download it and play it with no proof of purchase. I figured there would be a QR code inside each box or something that would activate access. $25 gets you a plush Whammy and a couple dozen question cards and, I'm assuming, a score pad, because

2. The app is literally just the board. No scorekeeping, no spin-keeping, no Whammy-keeping. Just spinning and stopping.

3. The app has three rounds: Two like the current show, and a third where the Big Bucks square is $25K/$25K/$25K+Spin. So if you were looking to play the show as it's currently built, you can't.

4. The board simply does not work. The values change on every move of the square, which, fine, it's more random, whatever. But when you hit the Stop button, the board does not stop in the spot you hit; rather, it just picks any random square on the board and decides that's what you get.

5. After about 5 minutes of play with my boys, the board has some obvious glitches. There is a $4,500 square in Round 2 that comes up as a Whammy when you "land" on it. Sometimes you hit a Whammy and nothing happens.

6. There is no rotation of prizes, nor is there any art for the prize squares. Instead, it's "$25,000 SPORTS CAR" or "$20,000 FAMILY CAR," or about four others.

7. The Whammy animations are in full, right from the show. They repeat very quickly. Might be about a dozen of them.

Well, that made me reconsider my purchase of it.
---
- I may consider getting the Senario plug-and-play Who Wants to be a Millionaire? game from 2005. I want to know if it's any good.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: A Thread About Game Show Home/Video Games
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
This should cover the original NES ones right here:

http://nesguide.com/genre/gameshows

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 04:26:06 PM »
I remember when Millionaire first came out as a CD-ROM game and I couldn't believe how much they were able to get on the CD. I couldn't help but imagine how many floppy disks that would've taken! Now get off my lawn! :P

Oh, and this discussion simply must include MSTieScott's review of the 1990 TPiR computer game:

https://mstiescott.tripod.com/tpirgame/tpir.html

Spoiler alert: the game wasn't good.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 09:55:01 PM »
I highly recommend a watch of The Home Game series from Game Show Gumbo on YouTube. Over the weekend, the 1987 TV version of Scrabble was posted, and doubting that you could make a good version of an already classic game, it proved me wrong. The best feature perhaps was a buzzer that could easily be used for other games, particularly Family Feud. Just add a stopwatch for the Scrabble Sprint round and you're all set.

I myself have a copy of the 1986 version of $ale of the Century, the next video coming in the series. I even played it about seven years ago for a holiday office party, and its pretty faithful to the show, from the Instant Bargains, to the Fame Game, to the prize awarded upon winning the game, even though I made my own Winner's Board for the contestant who wins each match. The Quizzard buzzer system was really cool for its time, allowing up to six people to play.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/