Poll

Of the various changes made during Season 11, which is your favorite?

The new hexagonal Barker Walls
6 (10.5%)
The new purple-red-orange turntable patterns
30 (52.6%)
The revised purple & orange showcase podiums
4 (7%)
The new music cues introduced
7 (12.3%)
The New Card Game set
3 (5.3%)
The revised Give or Keep board and podiums
1 (1.8%)
The revised Clamshell interior pattern (brown chevrons instead of the red floral used since 1979)
0 (0%)
The circle wipes used during Bob's entrance
2 (3.5%)
The repainted Take Two board
3 (5.3%)
The new price podiums for One Right Price and Double Prices
1 (1.8%)
The filled-in curve designs on the Temptation small prizes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Favorite set/production change from Season 11  (Read 5076 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Favorite set/production change from Season 11
« on: March 30, 2021, 11:16:07 AM »
Now that many of you have watched Season 11 on Pluto, now would be a good time to ask you to vote about the what set and/or production design change you enjoyed the most from that season. Sure, there were a few minor ones like the Clock Game border to a lighter shade of green to better match the new turntable patterns, but I've  included what I consider the most notable for the season, which IMO had the most production changes of the decade with the exception of Seasons 13, 14, and possibly 16. Feel free to include photos comparing the old and new designs when voting.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Online C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Favorite set/production change from Season 11
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 11:56:02 AM »
The turntable colors. By far.

The old flat colors at the start of the season were hideous and the pattern on the back of the turntable was like color vomit. It was surprising to me how bad that set looked in the digital redos of these episodes. But that set came back to life with the new turntable colors and looked vibrant.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:08:38 PM »
I'm also a fan of the new turntable walls (in terms of my favorite set/production change).  However, I didn't have a problem with the previous set.  Probably because I enjoyed that era and was used to it.  Obviously it was time for change; despite my respect for the preceding version of the turntable, when it was updated in 1982-1983, man was that the best upgrade the show has ever had!

Well, at least at that point, but I think definitely within the first 35 years.

I probably would go with the showcase podiums as my second choice (if I had one).  Sorta similar to the giant price tag that would be updated a couple years later, I'm probably overrating it due to the fact that it was the shortest lived between the ones it replaced and the ones that followed.  When you watch the show consecutively and then in time revisit past seasons, it tends to stand out.  At least for me; it was a nice upgrade given the fact that it combined 1975-1982 and 1984-2003 with the podium style and colors
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 06:35:42 PM »
I may be alone in the camp, but I consider the change of the turntable colours to be a decline; and it's long been the visual marker for me of the point where Price began its gradual descent from its aesthetic peak.

The many crisp, clear quality videos Pluto TV has uploaded to their YouTube channel has allowed me (without access to the channel itself) to garner a good taste of the flavour of Price in early '80s.  The change in the turntable colours to the purple, orange and red always stuck out to me as something off, and now I finally understand why that is: It doesn't match the rest of the set.

It may be all the same colours in the new design (albeit, with some slight differences in shading and red being much more prominent), but the layout of the colours no longer follows the pattern similar of the doors.  The doors have their different coloured strips of varying thickness around the edges with the prominent white section filling the middle.  The turntable followed this same design pattern: a purple border, a narrower strip of red inside as a border and then the orange fill.  The shades also matched with the door colours, and the green frame in particular matched the same shade of green used on the doors.  The shade of green appears changed in the new design, and it no longer matches.  The lights around the turntable also complimented the doors as well for a parity in design, which was lost in the revamp.

On a similar note, the '83 music package, while acceptable in its own right for being production music of good quality (instead of, say, the '94 or '03 music packages), doesn't match the '72, '74 and '76 packages otherwise in use at that point, which complimented each other very well in terms of similar arrangements and styles.  The '83 package is distinct as its own flavour.  It's a good flavour, but it doesn't match the rest of the flavours.

I could add the Barker wall as well.  The original matched the doors.  The new one didn't.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:20:50 PM »
I love the new Card Game Set. It is so epic especially in the early 80s. It was so awesome to see it on YouTube.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 11:51:40 AM »
Oh, the "puffy" turntable, by far. The flat turntable really looked bad and you can really see it in these digitally restored copies of the show.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 06:22:32 PM »
I originally posted this under the general “Barker Era” banner. Then I saw this topic. To wit:

It bothered me 40 years ago, bothers me even now on Pluto.
The turntable, particularly, the quilted flats that replaced the stucco.
I didn’t realize it happened so soon after their debut, but they began to sag and pucker.
As an 18 year old college student in 1983 I would watch at 3pm on WBBM Chicago in my dorm, after a full day of Radio-TV-Film classes.  I would fume.  How did they roll tape on a show where the prime piece of the set was unpresentable.
Then I would eventually go home on spring or winter break and watch WBZ Eyewitness News.  And what would I see?  The carpeting on the front of the riser on which the anchor desk rested was untacked and peeling back?  A full 36 inches.  For weeks on end!!
I would later get into  the local news business where my fastidious set fetish found an avenue of expression.
Point is, to all aspiring directors, check the set prior to air time to make sure there are no blatant blemishes that might drive the viewer to write a blog entry forty years after the fact.
As a failed CBS anchor once wrote: The camera never blinks.
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 06:33:18 PM »
How did they roll tape on a show where the prime piece of the set was unpresentable.

Different times, I guess, when you had a thinner budget with which to work and no digital editing to accommodate for that.

But what really gets me in the "olden days" of Price was how little they cared about such things as the wiring being visible.  How many years did they string the wiring for the Showcase podiums across the floor to the wall like that?  I'm quite surprised it took as long as it did before they finally put connectors through the floor to hide all of that.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 01:04:21 AM »
Different times, I guess, when you had a thinner budget with which to work and no digital editing to accommodate for that.

But what really gets me in the "olden days" of Price was how little they cared about such things as the wiring being visible.  How many years did they string the wiring for the Showcase podiums across the floor to the wall like that?  I'm quite surprised it took as long as it did before they finally put connectors through the floor to hide all of that.

Whereabouts did that shift? And hey it WAS the 1970's (looking at you Match Game Orange Carpet and set lol).

Offline wxfrcaster

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 03:36:29 PM »

One thing to remember, we are watching upconverted copies on HD monitors or computer screens.  A fuzzy, over-the-air signal, on a 24" cathode ray tube TV hid a multitude of sins.

Offline Sizeman

• Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 11:22:33 PM »
I chose the updated showcase podiums -- in error -- actually meaning to select the turntable patterns.

One thing I've really noticed watching many of the high quality clips from season 11 is the carpet on the turntable. Didn't realize how yellow-green it was versus being a more solid green, which came later. It matches the Super Ball base carpeting.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
I liked the purple, red, orange padded walls. The colors looked more bolder than the previous wall. I wondered how the purple, red, orange pattern would look on the current wall with led lights with the same color boarder.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 06:14:10 PM »
I liked the purple, red, orange padded walls. The colors looked more bolder than the previous wall. I wondered how the purple, red, orange pattern would look on the current wall with led lights with the same color boarder.

Didn't they do that for Decade's week? Pretty sure they did.