Author Topic: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2021  (Read 13873 times)

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2021
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2021, 10:50:14 AM »
According to The Futon Critic, Match Game's Season 5 finale was supposed to air November 4, 2020, but for unknown reasons, it was replaced at the last minute with a rerun of The Good Doctor's Season 4 premiere, and still has not aired to date. The panelists were Horatio Sanz, Marilu Henner, Michael Colter, Ali Wentworth, Justin Long, and Drea de Matteo.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/match-game/listings/

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2021, 10:51:27 AM »
I think it's unnecessary.  I would be all for having a two-hour block with the Match Game & Hollywood Squares; I can see it being similar to having PYL & Pyramid back-to-back in that both are fitting and maybe nostalgic.  What I'd see happening is that they air them back-to-back one year, and then they split them up the following season.  With new programming annually, ABC doesn't typically stick to the same exact schedule year after year.  There are / were some mainstays with CFF at the 8 PM spot and the Match Game later on that evening, 10 PM lately until its removal from the schedule.

As mentioned, Match Game has disappeared, but I do not think it's been cancelled as of this post.  The demise of it is a possibility, but I think it may be related to the pandemic and running out of material.  In my opinion, maybe Alec and company wanted to wait until things returned to normal before resuming everything.  If that plays out, then maybe we'll get new content in the winter and then next summer.  No mention of it is a tad bit surprising, however.

On the other hand, maybe ABC either got bored with it or that there are a ton of other programs that they'd rather focus on.  I actually though Match Game was alright.  If there's no room for it on the network, maybe NBC can pick it up.  Personally, it's a better fit on NBC anyway for several reasons, including but not limited to the host, several of the celebrities, and the taping location.   If that happens, and then 4th Hollywood Squares revival occurs, then you could see them paired up.  With Password returning to NBC, you might start to see that network, in addition to ABC, adding & airing a ton of classics (in primetime).  Man, imagine if they could get/revive NYSI!

Finally as for MGHS, as much as it was overrated, it is underrated (barely).  I actually enjoyed the concept, but the structure was a complete mess.  It could've been better, but it is what it is.  I could write a book on MGHSH (well, maybe a blog post max).  There have been & are worse shows, just saying; it was an okay risk
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 04:04:14 PM »
According to The Futon Critic, Match Game's Season 5 finale was supposed to air November 4, 2020, but for unknown reasons, it was replaced at the last minute with a rerun of The Good Doctor's Season 4 premiere, and still has not aired to date. The panelists were Horatio Sanz, Marilu Henner, Michael Colter, Ali Wentworth, Justin Long, and Drea de Matteo.

Futon Critic also states at least four other episodes (509,510) have not yet aired.

Offline JarodJGames

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 11:27:31 PM »
If there's no room for it on the network, maybe NBC can pick it up.  Personally, it's a better fit on NBC anyway for several reasons, including but not limited to the host, several of the celebrities, and the taping location.   If that happens, and then 4th Hollywood Squares revival occurs, then you could see them paired up.  With Password returning to NBC, you might start to see that network, in addition to ABC, adding & airing a ton of classics (in primetime).  Man, imagine if they could get/revive NYSI!
Honestly It just doesn't feel right to me when an SNL Cast member is on the Match Game panel which is why I like the Match Game on NBC idea since ABC has Match Game atm.
CSS Stats:
Season 17-Only one of the Top 28 to fail to cash ONE SHOWCASE (12th Overall in Points)
Season 18-8th in Points, 39th in Cash
Season 19 Regular Season-11th in Points, 29th in Cash
Season 19 Playoffs-13th in Points, Failed to Cash
FIRST CASHED SHOWCASE EVER: 11/17/21

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 11:37:51 PM »
A...celebrity on a game show featuring celebrities is...a problem?

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2021, 11:38:00 PM »

Wasn't Marilu Henner on the original Match Game run with Gene and the gang back in the 70s-80s?
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2021, 12:53:57 AM »
Wasn't Marilu Henner on the original Match Game run with Gene and the gang back in the 70s-80s?
She was (Match Game '78 episodes 1301 to 1305, and Match Game PM episode 125; all taped July 23, 1978)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2021, 01:10:16 AM »
A...celebrity on a game show featuring celebrities is...a problem?

I don't think it's that, it's that it sort of breaks tradition to have other network stars on like the CBS (and probably NBC before it) period didn't have. Different era granted from then to now, but that sounds like the argument being made.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »

Kinda off topic but the Good Doctor is a good show. 

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2021, 09:32:02 AM »
I don't think it's that, it's that it sort of breaks tradition to have other network stars on like the CBS (and probably NBC before it) period didn't have. Different era granted from then to now, but that sounds like the argument being made.

Battle of the Network Stars anyone?

That aside, it’s a silly thing. It’s 2021.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
Battle of the Network Stars anyone?

That aside, it’s a silly thing. It’s 2021.

TBH, it's was just that back in the day.  IMO, to extend the network vs. network thing beyond this topic, it's a stupid rule that someone calling a sporting event on one network can't do the same on another network, or someone that has a sitcom on one network can't have another show on another network.  Maybe there's a reason why that's the case, but I guess I never understood the harm with such a dumb rule.

Despite earlier comments, I'm neutral (but lean) to the argument of Match Game working better on NBC than ABC.  It has featured a lot of stars from Saturday Night Live, including present and former stars.  Some could argue that the best spot would be, 10:00 PM EST before SNL (with local news in-between it). 

That being said, it doesn't need to be on NBC.  FWIW, MG has had a ton of stars from ABC sitcoms in addition to NBC shows and whatever else.  It's been a success on ABC, but if that network wants to move on from it, I think NBC (or even CBS or FOX) would be more than happy to resume production
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2021, 12:00:49 PM »
On that last point, I don’t believe there’s a proverbial snowball’s chance someone else picks it up. Retro game show revivals aren’t generally where those networks are. Name That Tune on Fox was more the music thing Fox has going. Look at the rest of their programming...it’s, well, not a match.

And if ABC has basically moved on, regardless of any episodes left to be burned off, that’s an indication of the declining returns. The other networks aren’t picking up a castoff like that.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 10:16:58 PM »
Tonight’s Press Your Luck had a first for the current version. Where after surviving ten passed spins, a contestant ended up whamming out after the contestant to their left gave them back with $0. And in the bonus round, that contestant ended up becoming the first contestant on the revival to leave with nothing.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2021, 06:08:18 PM »
One thing I like about PYL is the camera shots of Elisabeth Banks, going to and from commercial breaks.

The Chase is a program that seems very interesting, and I like how Sara Haines hosts the show.

What happened to Supermarket Sweep?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2021, 07:23:27 PM »
^It's casting and going to be back.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023