Author Topic: NBC orders U.S. version of BBC's The Wheel  (Read 3266 times)

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
NBC orders U.S. version of BBC's The Wheel
« on: April 09, 2021, 02:21:55 AM »
https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-wheel-nbc-bbc-gameshow-michael-mcintyre-1234689661/

NBC ordered a 10-episode U.S. version of UK comedian Michael McIntyre's BBC game show "The Wheel", which features celebrity experts on a large spinning wheel on the studio floor helping contestants(3 of them on a smaller wheel under the large one) to win cash.  The details are available at the link I posted here.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:36:31 PM by therealcu2010 »

Online Alfonzo

• Director
Re: NBC orders U.S. version of a BBC game show
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 02:27:46 AM »
I saw a few episodes of that show. Not too bad of a concept, but it's silly in its execution.

Can't NBC just order a prime time run of Concentration?!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: NBC orders U.S. version of BBC’s The Wheel
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 02:50:09 AM »
Title changed because of clickbait.

Can’t we have more game shows that focus on regular contestants?
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 05:13:37 AM »
Can't NBC just order a prime time run of Concentration?!

Given NBC's track record with primetime game shows, I'd be wary...
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »
I personally really enjoy The Wheel, but it absolutely needs the right host who can draw humor out of both celebrities and civilians. My vote goes for Craig Ferguson if he's not tied down to ABC.

BTW, here's a personal favorite clip of the UK version after no one won anything:

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 11:43:17 AM »
Given NBC's track record with primetime game shows, I'd be wary...

I am. Unfortunately, they own the rights to Concentration. Unless they decide to license it out they'll be the most likely to revive it.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »
I am. Unfortunately, they own the rights to Concentration. Unless they decide to license it out they'll be the most likely to revive it.

Speaking of Concentration, look at what's in NBC Universal's 2021 Format Catalog, on page 51.

I hope to heck this means that Concentration is returning for the first time in 30 years, and that the show is good. I'd love to try out if given the chance, since I've been playing the game like an ace by playing along with Classic Concentration on Buzzr.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 11:59:46 PM »
I hope to heck this means that Concentration is returning for the first time in 30 years, and that the show is good. I'd love to try out if given the chance, since I've been playing the game like an ace by playing along with Classic Concentration on Buzzr.

If it does, I hope it remains the same low-key game it always has been, no comedic shenanigans. Hell, I'd be down for a revival of Classic Concentration.

Also interested in a TTD reboot, but again, no comedic shenanigans please.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
It’s selling (or more specifically) offering formats, especially internationally. Nothing in there suggests US versions are in active development.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: NBC orders U.S. version of BBC's The Wheel
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 04:45:25 PM »
When I first saw the wheel I thought Jerry O'Connell might do a good job hosting the show. The show kind of drags on with the music and wheel spinning and I wonder how nbc will Americanize the show.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
Re: NBC orders U.S. version of BBC's The Wheel
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
After a few months since the announcement of the American version of The Wheel was coming to NBC, the network has confirmed that UK host Michael McIntyre will be the host and the executive producer of the show, which will premiere next year.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/michael-mcintyre-nbc-remake-british-gameshow-the-wheel-1234810662/