Author Topic: Double Dare (Trebek) question  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Double Dare (Trebek) question
« on: April 20, 2021, 05:36:36 PM »
During the opening, Gene would read the usual opening poem (and the set was dark) and when he would say "With the host of 'Double Dare': Alex Trebek!" the set would finally be gradually lit up. I'd have to assume on its sister show "Card Sharks", the opening was similar, but I'm assuming that the set was dark as the logo would be doing alternating flashes along with the cards, and I noticed that the set was fully lit up before the logo was raised to reveal Jim Perry (or in another case, some of the famous game show hosts like Bill Cullen, Alex Trebek, and Gene Rayburn for the 3 week game show round robin tournament) So my question is, was the set intentionally lit up right from the beginning of the show intentionally?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Double Dare (Trebek) question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »
You do realize that, at least in the case of Card Sharks (and probably for Double Dare as well), the clips of the signs flashing, the turntables rotating etc. were all stock footage recycled from the pilots, right? That pre-taped part had no relation to what was actually going on in the studio for the actual episode.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:40:25 PM »
I should've realized that, but that little opening before the transition to the actual set was pretty awesome.

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 03:47:53 AM »
Same was true for Double Dare. The opening featured an extra red/green neon setpiece shown only on the pilot.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 03:58:15 AM »
I always thought that the opening to both ‘Card Sharks’ and ‘Double Dare’ were cool but if you ask me hearing Mr. Olson or Gene Wood saying “Play the game... of DOUBLE DARE!!!” with the electronic clue board doing a cool opening animation (same animation was used if the contestant defeated the ‘spoilers’, but the clue board would have tall numbers) and the closing animation was cool. I also thought that the opening and closing of ‘Now You See It’ was awesome. That electronic clue board was probably the coolest thing about the CBS version of Double Dare. Heck, loved the low bass with the lead synth and the (tell me if I’m wrong on this) xylophone played on a high octave.