Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2021  (Read 4598 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2021
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 02:56:06 AM »
Anyone who was a contestant recently can back me up if this was just a Kids Week thing or a standard thing, but I know that in the forms I had to sign was simply a list of my social media accounts, just in case I wanted to a picture of my prizes or something of the like. Even with the infinitesimally small chance chance that Price didn’t know he had a million Instagram followers, they would find out and use that.

In the application form to get tickets during COVID, after filling in your basic info (age, residence, occupation), there are a few more questions, including “Describe your personality” and “Hobbies and interests”. There is no way Price didn’t know about this before even his Zoom final audition.

Now, does being exciting for TV mean you’ll be the most logical? No. IUFB #5 proved that not only for Christian, but also Alysha. Short term, this does matter because this means Price is casting instead of picking lucky contestants out of whoever showed up, inane and insane. Will this extend into Season 51 though? Who knows.

I don’t have any problems with Christian getting called on down. At best, it was just an aberration: we’ve had people about that notable get called on down ironically (the most recent example that comes to mind is when a Rams kicker got to play Punch-a-Bunch during Celebrity Week). At worst, it shows a tonal shift from the Dob and Mike eras to the Warfel era.

/and of course he doesn’t know about the Zero rule; he focuses on his brand, not researching another stepping stone to add to his bucket list. I was more disappointed no one left in the Row knew about it either after 10C had such a hot season.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline dad90

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
Well...it's extremely rare that in the second Showcase Showdown, the contestant was able to go to the Showcases and almost had a Dollar, but still advances with a Nickel.

But it's the 10 Chances playing that reminds me of this....

Offline CorwinAbbott42921

• 4/29/21
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 10:43:14 PM »
Fun episode! 10 Chances resulted in a classic 'blind squirrel finds a nut' moment, lots of winners, close showcase. Drew openly mocking Christian for his $145 bid on IUFB #5 was hilarious. Been a while since I've seen Range Game played for a car.

@TPIRfan#9821, as one of the most recent contestants around (air date 4/29/21), I can say that they definitely didn't press the issue on social media handles besides a generic question in the paperwork about our handles. I didn't even HAVE an Instagram, or any social media besides a personal Facebook account, and I didn't feel like that worked against me at all. The only person at my taping who showed any 'social media influencer' vibes was Andre, who had his Insta handle on the back of his shirt, and he was given the least-preferential #9 slot among contestants. Other than that, they gave us an email address where we could send photos of us receiving/using our prizes if we wanted (for use on the social media accounts), that was about it. I really don't think social media plays a significant role in the current casting, even with all of the extra vetting in the COVID era. It seems to mostly come down to finding big personalities (which could obviously have significant overlap with social media presences) and secondarily, people who have at least a basic understanding of the game. My sense from taping day was that Stan gets final say over the order of the 12 contestants who are invited to the studio for each episode, and he seemed passionate about knowing the game, which might explain Christian's late-game placement (and Andre's from my episode).

@Dad90 - I made it to the showcase with a $0.10 on last Thursday's episode, and was looking forward to seeing how long that record might last. To only make it 2 episodes before someone bested me with a $0.05 was quite a letdown!

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 01:58:42 AM »
I don't quite understand how $11,500 is considered a loss on PLiNKO. If someone is able to get even one chip in the $10,000 slot, I consider it a win.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 02:15:21 AM »
I don't quite understand how $11,500 is considered a loss on PLiNKO. If someone is able to get even one chip in the $10,000 slot, I consider it a win.

For whatever reason, a statistical "win" on Plinko is officially defined as a $25,000/$50,000 win.

Therefore, nobody has ever won Plinko, and likely nobody ever will.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 06:52:58 AM »

For whatever reason, a statistical "win" on Plinko is officially defined as a $25,000/$50,000 win.

Therefore, nobody has ever won Plinko, and likely nobody ever will.

The announced prize of a pricing game, especially a cash game helps determine what makes it a win or a loss.  As such, "Up to $50,000 in cash" or "Up to $25,000" means for someone to "win" that game they need to win that amount.  Nothing less.  Sorta like Race Game where you need to win everything in order to "win" the game (but not like Switcheroo as it's a car game in which you could win it by getting 1 price right if said prize is the car)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 10:50:46 AM »
It's called I'm sick and tired of this argument and rather than have purists rip my head off, I just acquiesce to them.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]