Studio 33 - Price is Right Discussion > The TALK Is Right

Easing L.A. County restrictions will likely permit an audience for Season 50(!)

(1/3) > >>

Mr. Weatherman:
This has flown mostly under the radar, but L.A. County introduced updated reopening guidance for music, film and television productions last week -- effective Thursday, May 6, 2021.

Most notably, productions featuring an audience the size of The Price is Right can currently tape at up to 50% capacity.  Productions are allowed to cordon off entire sections for persons who can provide adequate proof of vaccination.  Those in these sections would not have to follow distancing guidelines, although a mask is still required (I presume to protect those in attendance who are not vaccinated). 

If we applied these guidelines to TPiR, the show could conceivably require proof of vaccination for every person in attendance.  The 50% cap would remain, but no one would necessarily have to be distanced.  Just from skimming through the guidelines, there appear to be exceptions for when the mask doesn't have to be worn, including by visitors (the audience in this case).  Presumably, this would apply to those in contestants row, on stage with Drew, at the Big Wheel, etc.

We're pretty much at the end of the taping schedule for Season 49, so these changes likely won't apply to the remaining product.  However, I think we can confidently say at this point there will be some form of an audience for Season 50, which is a pretty big deal!

I imagine it's quite likely these restrictions will be eased further by July -- perhaps allowing a full audience of (at minimum) vaccinated persons with no distancing or mask requirements.

Even if there is no change to existing guidelines (doubtful), I don't think any of us here would complain about a 50% audience cap.  That's far better than no audience at all!

LiteBulb88:
This is great news. Thanks for posting!

pannoni1:
It will be interesting to see how the changes brought about by the pandemic will continue to remain well after we're back to normal, from the Pathfinder board to the numbers in Pocket Change, the extra podium in 1 Right Price, to even the opening, which I'd simply have a montage of clips from over the years/decades to introduce a milestone season. It will also be interesting to see if the audience seats/configuration as well as if the Contestants' Row displays/seat covers will also get a redo. I'll wager that the mask from the Yodely Guy will be removed the first time Cliff Hangers is played, and the chip stand for Plinko will be yanked.

For sister show Let's Make A Deal, it will be interesting to see if they continue to have any special "play from home" deals, although I'd limit it to once a week at the most.

Wheel and Jeopardy! are other shows where some of the changes such as the wider podiums may remain permanent, although don't expect those silly "white things" for spinners to return.

JayC:
I do wonder if they'll keep the current Contestants Row podiums or go back to the regular podiums for next season, assuming that they will have an audience again.

--- Quote from: pannoni1 on May 10, 2021, 09:13:34 PM ---It will be interesting to see how the changes brought about by the pandemic will continue to remain well after we're back to normal, from the Pathfinder board to the numbers in Pocket Change to even the opening, which I'd simply have a montage of clips from over the years/decades to introduce a milestone season.
--- End quote ---
A montage of clips from the show's history for the opening would definitely be fitting. Hopefully they change them every so often during the season and not keep the same montage the whole season like they are right now.

SeaBreeze341:
[The changes if any] will be interesting for sure.  There are some changes that might work out on a permanent level, but I don't think Contestant's Row will be one of them.  But man, did that setup for One Bid look awesome?!

Yeah, things are getting better and better; looks like they're ahead of schedule (referring to the pandemic and the road to normality).  I think the show will do whatever it takes to give us a show full of people without masks and social distancing (100% capacity).  Maybe not early in the season, but at least for the first week if not the premiere.  Maybe some quarantining for some 300 people.  You're not ever going to hear any complaining from me if it can't happen or if it's at 75% with some social distancing and masking.

The fact that the show was able to proceed within a pandemic is such a great achievement on its own.  I don't know if it'll win the Emmy this year but it should IMO

Edited for the brackets and some rephrasing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version