Author Topic: Easing L.A. County restrictions will likely permit an audience for Season 50(!)  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Mr. Weatherman

This has flown mostly under the radar, but L.A. County introduced updated reopening guidance for music, film and television productions last week -- effective Thursday, May 6, 2021.

Most notably, productions featuring an audience the size of The Price is Right can currently tape at up to 50% capacity.  Productions are allowed to cordon off entire sections for persons who can provide adequate proof of vaccination.  Those in these sections would not have to follow distancing guidelines, although a mask is still required (I presume to protect those in attendance who are not vaccinated). 

If we applied these guidelines to TPiR, the show could conceivably require proof of vaccination for every person in attendance.  The 50% cap would remain, but no one would necessarily have to be distanced.  Just from skimming through the guidelines, there appear to be exceptions for when the mask doesn't have to be worn, including by visitors (the audience in this case).  Presumably, this would apply to those in contestants row, on stage with Drew, at the Big Wheel, etc.

We're pretty much at the end of the taping schedule for Season 49, so these changes likely won't apply to the remaining product.  However, I think we can confidently say at this point there will be some form of an audience for Season 50, which is a pretty big deal!

I imagine it's quite likely these restrictions will be eased further by July -- perhaps allowing a full audience of (at minimum) vaccinated persons with no distancing or mask requirements.

Even if there is no change to existing guidelines (doubtful), I don't think any of us here would complain about a 50% audience cap.  That's far better than no audience at all!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
This is great news. Thanks for posting!

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
It will be interesting to see how the changes brought about by the pandemic will continue to remain well after we're back to normal, from the Pathfinder board to the numbers in Pocket Change, the extra podium in 1 Right Price, to even the opening, which I'd simply have a montage of clips from over the years/decades to introduce a milestone season. It will also be interesting to see if the audience seats/configuration as well as if the Contestants' Row displays/seat covers will also get a redo. I'll wager that the mask from the Yodely Guy will be removed the first time Cliff Hangers is played, and the chip stand for Plinko will be yanked.

For sister show Let's Make A Deal, it will be interesting to see if they continue to have any special "play from home" deals, although I'd limit it to once a week at the most.

Wheel and Jeopardy! are other shows where some of the changes such as the wider podiums may remain permanent, although don't expect those silly "white things" for spinners to return.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:24:46 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I do wonder if they'll keep the current Contestants Row podiums or go back to the regular podiums for next season, assuming that they will have an audience again.

It will be interesting to see how the changes brought about by the pandemic will continue to remain well after we're back to normal, from the Pathfinder board to the numbers in Pocket Change to even the opening, which I'd simply have a montage of clips from over the years/decades to introduce a milestone season.
A montage of clips from the show's history for the opening would definitely be fitting. Hopefully they change them every so often during the season and not keep the same montage the whole season like they are right now.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
[The changes if any] will be interesting for sure.  There are some changes that might work out on a permanent level, but I don't think Contestant's Row will be one of them.  But man, did that setup for One Bid look awesome?!

Yeah, things are getting better and better; looks like they're ahead of schedule (referring to the pandemic and the road to normality).  I think the show will do whatever it takes to give us a show full of people without masks and social distancing (100% capacity).  Maybe not early in the season, but at least for the first week if not the premiere.  Maybe some quarantining for some 300 people.  You're not ever going to hear any complaining from me if it can't happen or if it's at 75% with some social distancing and masking.

The fact that the show was able to proceed within a pandemic is such a great achievement on its own.  I don't know if it'll win the Emmy this year but it should IMO

Edited for the brackets and some rephrasing
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
Even if there is no change to existing guidelines (doubtful), I don't think any of us here would complain about a 50% audience cap.  That's far better than no audience at all!
Ever since I visited the show back in 2018 I've been committed to going back.  I'm happy to know the show will get it's audience back in 2021-2022.  If we assume they'll start taping next season's eps this summer then it won't be long before we see it happen.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Wheel and Jeopardy! are other shows where some of the changes such as the wider podiums may remain permanent, although don't expect those silly "white things" for spinners to return.

I think the space between each podium is going to be permanent on Jeopardy! Originally they used manually-placed dividers during Final Jeopardy! with the new setup, but they now have installed a motorized system to control them remotely again.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
I think this may be related to the subject. An article published today on The Los Angeles Times website mentions that on June 15, businesses in California can open their doors without COVID-19 constraints on capacity or requirements for physical distancing and fully vaccinated people no longer needing to wear masks in most situations.

And according to Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly on guidelines for travelers, the state will also align with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for them.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place

The show DESPERATELY needs a studio audience. The already over-the-top contestants look as if they're being coached to take over-the-top to whole new levels of absurdity and annoyance.

It's as if they're trying to make sure they end up on YouTube. It doesn't make for a great viewing experience for the rest of the audience.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline tybuki

• In the Audience
The show DESPERATELY needs a studio audience. The already over-the-top contestants look as if they're being coached to take over-the-top to whole new levels of absurdity and annoyance.

It's as if they're trying to make sure they end up on YouTube. It doesn't make for a great viewing experience for the rest of the audience.
The biggest thing I've noticed of late (especially since the show is now in budget saving mode) is how EVERY contestant says "That's OK!" over and over again when they lose. Clearly the producers are coaching them to say that when they fail.

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
Yeah, I mean it's a thrill to appear on a gameshow, so I can understand why they say "that's okay" after every loss.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
I think the space between each podium is going to be permanent on Jeopardy! Originally they used manually-placed dividers during Final Jeopardy! with the new setup, but they now have installed a motorized system to control them remotely again.

Off topic, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jeopardy! gets a set overhaul altogether with a new host coming in.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
This past week The Tonight Show started allowing full audiences in studio. Previously, a month or so ago, they had allowed limited audiences with pods of groups dispersed throughout the crowd.

Here's the NBC webpage laying out the requirements for getting tickets and attending the show.

Looking at it, I could see this being the norm for trying to make filming with high capacity audiences a thing again. Requiring vaccination and proof of vaccination at the studio.

Now only a few days away from CA opening up, I'll definitely be having my eyes peeled on the various ticket sites to see if any game shows pop up.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
It’s official.  I will be shocked if Season 50 is taped without a full audience.  At least the premiere since I still think we’re a year away from whether there will be any setback or unknowns (if so it would be minor and handled appropriately)

Regarding the vaccine: I imagine TPIR will be stricter with a proof of vaccination mandate.  I believe there are apps on one’s smartphones where that can be scanned & uploaded.  Similar to a boarding pass, I believe.  It would be much more convenient as opposed to carrying around that vaccine card that's rather easy to get misplaced (if it's not folded properly within one's wallet or the like
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
I believe there are apps on one’s smartphones where that can be scanned & uploaded.  Similar to a boarding pass, I believe.

New York State has the Excelsior Pass, and I'm sure other states have something similar.

It would be much more convenient as opposed to carrying around that vaccine card that's rather easy to get misplaced (if it's not folded properly within one's wallet or the like

Another option is to scan the card and carry a digital image of it on your phone.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.