Author Topic: Pricing game proposal: "Touchdown!"  (Read 2751 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Pricing game proposal: "Touchdown!"
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:46 PM »
The contestant starts out on their own 20-yard line on a standard 100-yard football field, as represented by a graphic on a screen or perhaps even a scaled-down field onstage. They can advance down the field by guessing the prices of three grocery items.

For each GP, the contestant is shown three possible prices. If they choose the correct price, they advance 30 yards down the field. The closest incorrect choice still advances them 20 yards, but the furthest-away wrong price is an "incomplete" and doesn't advance them at all.

After pricing all three GPs, if the contestant has advanced at least 80 yards (i.e. they guessed all three correct or 2 correct and one next-closest), they score a touchdown and automatically win the main prize. If the contestant is on the 50-yard line or closer, however (i.e. they guessed at least one on-the-nose or two almosts), they still have a chance to win by kicking a field goal and guessing the price of the main prize.  The winning range of their guess (above or below the ARP) is determined by how far away they are from the end zone. If they are 50 yards away, they must be within $500 of the ARP; every 10 yards closer increases the range by another $500, up to within $2500 if they are only 10 yards away.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing game proposal: "Touchdown!"
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 10:35:04 PM »
If you're going to potentially give the players a $5,000 spread ($2,500 above plus $2,500 below), you may as well make this a car game, otherwise you'd pretty much be able to win this every time by guessing between $7,000 and $7,500 for the ARP (since the show almost never uses sub-$5,000 prize packages anymore).

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 10:58:16 PM »
This is certainly an interesting idea, but there's a strategic flaw: if the contestant picks the middle price for each GP, they're guaranteed to gain at least 20 yards. So without knowing any pricing, the contestants can leave themselves with a 20 yard "field goal" attempt. Perhaps having 4 prices per GP could help with that.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 11:01:06 PM »
I like the idea. For the second chance element, I agree with blozier that it's potentially too easy to win if the contestant gets a large enough range to work with. I would suggest using a fourth GP instead, with the range between 50 cents and $2.50 depending on how far from the end zone they are.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 02:30:54 AM »
I don't see a flaw too badly in the pricing part per se, but I do see a Bullseye I esque flaw in the field goal portion of the game. If you don't give a specific price range to bid in besides above or below xxx, it could make it too hard to win that way. I'd say if you were to do it (and let's assume it was for a car), you'd need to spot the contestant that (Ie: It's between $10,000 and $15,000 for example).

Sidenote too...I think this topic should be moved, it's not really an OILF topic I don't think.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:38:03 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 02:48:52 AM »
Sidenote too...I think this topic should be moved, it's not really an OILF topic I don't think.

I understand why you'd think that...but for as long as I've been a member here, pricing game ideas have traditionally gone into OILF.

And LiteBulb88 is right, that is a flaw I didn't catch. I'll have to do some tweaking.

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 08:27:08 AM »
Sounds like a combo of Penny Ante and Walk of Fame, two of my favorite retired games.

But regarding the GPs, to continue the football theme, have a down marker for each, perhaps with a "1st and Goal" graphic at the start. Just make the main prize an announced ARP while introducing the fourth GP on the "4th down field goal attempt".

Alternatively, I could view Touchdown as a revamped Mystery Price where you must come closest to each GP/SP without going over, with going over being an incompletion. The number of yards a contestant advances is based on how near a contestant comes without going over, and is proportional paced on the price of the items, with 30 yards for an exact price, dropping by a yard for each percentage they are away from the price of the product (e.g. if an item costs $4.99, a $4.49 guess would move them 20 yards for being 10% off. ) The final product would be an exception and allow for a Hail Mary win if s/he can exactly guess the price of the last item.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »
Now with football season just around the corner, I'd like to add a bit to my Mystery Price-based idea. Like before, I'd make it a fee game with 4 SPs representing each of the downs, with a touchdown winning the game, with the contestant needing 50 yards for a win. Since I don't really want partial wins like a lot of staffers, I'll drop the field goal attempt.

First off, if you guess the price exactly on any SP, it's a Touchdown and an automatic win. However, to counter this, I'll have to throw in sacks for SP guesses that are lowballed, with the distance sacked increasing the further off you are. For example, if you're under by 40% of the price, you get sacked two yards; if under by 50%, you get sacked by four. Finally, if a contestant guesses way to low (approximately one third or less of the ARP), the contestant fumbles, gives up possession, and loses regardless of how many remaining SPs s/he may have left to pick. Overbids still result in incompletions of course. As long as a contestant advances the player on an item, s/he wins the SP. Thanks to computer technology, a certain algorithm will be computed to determine where the runner moves on each play.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/