Author Topic: Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and Super Market Sweep renewed for Season 2  (Read 12278 times)

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
I wonder, though... will they still be doing the 4 $100,000 envelopes on the Bonus round wheel for Celebrity Wheel of Fortune in season 2?
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Loni Love, Mario Cantone, and Anthony Michael Hall are the first three celebrity contestants for season 2 of Celeb Wheel confirmed:
1400666325228298241[/tweet]][/url]
1400933627081285632[/tweet]][/url]

Interesting to note.....one of Loni's photos has the celebrities, Pat and Vanna all close together. Looks as if things have returned to normal for coming season (or at least for Celeb shows?))? Will be interesting to see.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I'm assuming they are all vaccinated and cases continue to drop so it's not that surprising they were able to take pictures together without masks. It remains to be seen how they will do the regular show in the new season-- how big the audience will be, whether the contestant area will go back to pre-COVID look, and whether contestants will still use the white things.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
I'm pretty sure the contestant area will remain the same (we're in HD after all), but look for Pat to return standing next to the contestants and collecting stuff that's lost to Bankrupt. This means along with those white things, no more "Bankrupt Trash" bins. Next Tuesday is when audiences are permitted to return in some capacity, but since I'm hoping that there would be a "proof of vaccination" policy for now, hopefully we'll get a full house for Season 39.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
This upcoming Celebrity run could be the start what's to come. I honestly don't think Wheel will go back completely to pre-COVID until S40 at the earliest, but I can see some steps taken during S39 to ensure they're getting back to business.

As long as proper precautions are taken, I can see family members or friends being invited to the audience provided that they're vaccinated (don't think we'll see full capacity audiences for a while). Maybe we'll see team weeks again because of the extended podiums. We'll have to see how they fare with easing regulations.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
The thread may have last been active a month ago, but this bump is for a good reason as we have a date for Season 2 premieres of Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and Supermarket Sweep, which will be on September 26.

https://tvline.com/2021/07/15/abc-premiere-dates-fall-2021-list-greys-anatomy-season-18/

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and Super Market Sweep renewed for Season 2
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2021, 09:07:56 AM »
Watched both season premieres last night. With Celebrity Wheel, the tape schedule in between seasons 38 and 39 gave what some people called a "beta" version of the later, where some of the changes like the contestant performing the Final Spin were present, but with the 2017 toss up and speedup puzzle cues still intact. The first bonus puzzle was the tricky "POPULAR CLIQUE" which is more suited for the syndicated version. The biggest surprise is that in the second half, there was a fourth round, with the bonus for solving the same as in Round 3, which really does make quick solves worthwhile in that part of the game. Jason and Michael were really fun to watch, but I did feel a bit sad for Cheryl who truly felt like the "third wheel" to them in terms of getting in on the action.

Supermarket Sweep was largely the same overall, but with a couple new bonuses including the return of the coffee grinder as opposed to the cup as seen in Season 1 (Which nobody sadly picked), along with a Big Sweep total low that barely cracked $1,000, where one team's bonuses racked up more than their total. The Bonus Sweep format eliminated the bailout options for a money ladder, with 90 seconds to five all five items. The first item was worth $5,000, the second $10,000, the third $25,000, the fourth $50,000, and the last $100,000. While I find that format a nice return to the traditional, I feel that the money amounts for the first four items should be lower since in the Ruprecht version, having two was not even worth a tenth of the $5,000. I'd do $1,000-$2,500-$5,000-$10,000 or $1,000-$5,000-$10,000-$25,000 for the lower amounts. I'll certainly be watching these instead of football (or DVR if Washington/Baltimore is on that night).

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2021, 12:44:25 PM »
Jason and Michael were really fun to watch, but I did feel a bit sad for Cheryl who truly felt like the "third wheel" to them in terms of getting in on the action.

Cheryl didn't even get to spin the wheel in the first half! Normally that would never happen on the syndicated version because everyone is guaranteed to start at least one round, but on CWOF that's not a guarantee because they play the Triple Toss-Up after two rounds instead of three.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2021, 12:48:13 PM »
While I find that format a nice return to the traditional, I feel that the money amounts for the first four items should be lower since in the Ruprecht version, having two was not even worth a tenth of the $5,000. I'd do $1,000-$2,500-$5,000-$10,000 or $1,000-$5,000-$10,000-$25,000 for the lower amounts.

This makes no sense. the ABC version has a higher budget and you want to offer close to the same amount as a cable version from 30 years ago?

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »
This makes no sense. the ABC version has a higher budget and you want to offer close to the same amount as a cable version from 30 years ago?

I often wonder if people forget this was just a cable show on PAX 30 years ago. The nostalgia is still very strong for it.

I am not one of those I hate new changes person when it comes to these rivals but Leslie's hosting is cringe worthy. If she says one hundred thousand dooolars one more time I will throw my remote at the TV. Have energy but don't let the ridiculous antics take away from the contestants and the game   

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2021, 11:23:34 PM »
I'm guessing when they were looking for a host for Sweep, they were like "hey, this guy from SNL was okay on Match Game, let's find someone else from SNL" and they came up with her.

although now I'm wondering how a Tina-Fey hosted Sweep would look
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »
Orrrr, they look for talented, funny people.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2021, 11:45:03 PM »
Orrrr, they look for talented, funny people.
Then they didn't look hard enough, as Leslie Jones is neither talented nor funny.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2021, 03:36:56 PM »
I don’t care for her approach either. But that’s subjective. Many people do find her funny and talented (including some people quite well qualified to render informed professional opinions that may mean more than the average person.)

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »
I'm guessing when they were looking for a host for Sweep, they were like "hey, this guy from SNL was okay on Match Game, let's find someone else from SNL" and they came up with her.

It's exactly backwards.

They didn't "look for" a host for Sweep, Leslie Jones pitched the show to Fremantle & ABC knowing she wanted to put her stamp on Sweep and they bought it.

This revival doesn't exist without Leslie Jones, for better or for worse.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."