Author Topic: Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and Super Market Sweep renewed for Season 2  (Read 12267 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Sweep ran Sundays last fall, not sure how a one hour change makes a difference. And yes it’s cheaper time filler. Sunday Night Football is a formidable challenge. Programs will be judged accordingly.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I'm gob smacked that a lot of our members aren't getting by now that ABC isn't intending these shows to beat Football and others- but merely put something in the slot that will be competitive and have a good rate of return- and that they expect people to watch things on streaming later.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Indeed. ABC has a specific need there. Sure they're still keeping one scripted hour against football, but it makes more sense when you know you've got Idol waiting in the wings for wintertime to have a couple of lower cost, lower risk hours as part of the lineup. Something has to fill the slot.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Especially given that traditionally, women don't follow sports as often as men (despite Wheel's NFL Players Week back in the late '90s-mid 2000s having more female civilian partners than men), this will provide an outlet for the female viewing audience to see. CBS meanwhile has its traditional dramas, along with part of 60 Minutes depending on how late football runs. FOX of course kicks things off with a show that predates the Ruprecht era of Sweep as well as more animation following it. I like when different networks provide a variety of options since it allows for more flexibility regarding choice. Then again, unless if DC or Baltimore are playing on Sunday night, I'll be tuning into ABC, and if not, I'll DVR it.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
Sunday is perfect day to Celebrity WoF.

Offline RatRace10

It sure is. Sunday is the one day of the week where Wheel of Fortune normally isn't on TV. It's perfect. :-D

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
It sure is. Sunday is the one day of the week where Wheel of Fortune normally isn't on TV. It's perfect. :-D

I wonder if that played in, given certain markets already had WOF on an ABC station leading in to it last season. I remember hearing that being talked about as a possible drawback ratings wise (aka an hour and a half of Wheel either straight or within 2 hours was too much). Sunday would seem to work much better from that standpoint. Curious how the ratings will differ from one season to the other with that.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Being up against Sunday Night Football likely isn't going to boost its ratings from last season, if anything they'll drop a bit because of the stiffer competition compared to season 1.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
The schedule wasn’t picked to benefit Wheel. It was Wheel that was picked to fill a need. That need was relatively low cost filler to plug in against NFL (in half the country) as a seat warmer before Idol starts up.

Offline RatRace10

I wonder if that played in, given certain markets already had WOF on an ABC station leading in to it last season. I remember hearing that being talked about as a possible drawback ratings wise (aka an hour and a half of Wheel either straight or within 2 hours was too much). Sunday would seem to work much better from that standpoint. Curious how the ratings will differ from one season to the other with that.
They probably don't care about the syndicated WOF being a lead-in or not. I remember wondering the same thing back when Jeopardy GOAT was happening, thinking that ABC stations that air WOF at 7:30/6:30c would swap them to have syndicated Jeopardy be the lead-in for GOAT, but nobody did that (I do recall the WOF episode that aired the day of GOAT Day 1 having a ton of banners and stuff advertising it though). Keep in mind that last February, ABC did a three-hour marathon of CWOF on a Thursday, so for many, that meant 210 consecutive minutes of Wheel of Fortune. They also did a three-hour JGOAT marathon of the eps up to that point the Saturday after it started, which was right after or not long after the syndicated Jeopardy's Saturday repeat in many markets (with a WOF repeat sandwiched in in my case).

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
The blame for the WOF vs. NFL starts with me.  I'm typically your sympathetic character when it comes to decent programming vs the best product.  On the other hand, it doesn't affect me at all.  I usually watch football, DVR the counterprogramming, and watch the latter later on (or not).  Of course, SNF could be a dud and then I'd tune into something else.  It is understandable if someone is filling a need, and nothing's getting cancelled because their ratings suck thanks to football or whatever else
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
They probably don't care about the syndicated WOF being a lead-in or not. I remember wondering the same thing back when Jeopardy GOAT was happening, thinking that ABC stations that air WOF at 7:30/6:30c would swap them to have syndicated Jeopardy be the lead-in for GOAT, but nobody did that (I do recall the WOF episode that aired the day of GOAT Day 1 having a ton of banners and stuff advertising it though). Keep in mind that last February, ABC did a three-hour marathon of CWOF on a Thursday, so for many, that meant 210 consecutive minutes of Wheel of Fortune. They also did a three-hour JGOAT marathon of the eps up to that point the Saturday after it started, which was right after or not long after the syndicated Jeopardy's Saturday repeat in many markets (with a WOF repeat sandwiched in in my case).

The idea a local station would disrupt their established lineup over a short term one day a week program to follow is, honestly, illogical.

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
This is exciting news! Hopefully, they bring some more well-known celebrities for S2 like Wayne Brady, Tom Selleck, etc. As for Supermarket Sweep, I think Leslie's a pretty solid game-show host.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
^Most of the celebs on the first season were pretty well known. I know Drew Carey was one of the contestants in season 1, but I don't think they're going to put several additional CBS personalities on.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Loni Love, Mario Cantone, and Anthony Michael Hall are the first three celebrity contestants for season 2 of Celeb Wheel confirmed:
1400666325228298241[/tweet]][/url]
1400933627081285632[/tweet]][/url]