Studio 33 - Price is Right Discussion > Price is Right Video Collection

January 20, 1987 (#6342D)

(1/2) > >>

Chelsea:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMZVsYUCZzE

actual_retail_tice:
RARE OUTCOME ALERT: Grocery Game ends with the contestant not reaching $6.75.

actual_retail_tice:
Also, I can only go on what I've seen on YouTube, tpirepguide.com, etc. but I have this theory that the producers decided to boost the budget of the showcases by quite a lot starting not too long before this episode. In this show's furniture showcase, we have a living room that has to be worth at least as much as a medium-priced car, because combined with a kiddie living room set and an electric keyboard, it comes out to over $13,000. Big bucks for 1987...there were still $6000 cars! This looks to be typical of the era; I can barely find any showcases from that time period under $10,000, and when they are, they are still much more expensive than typical furniture/trip showcases just a couple of years before.

mellongraig:
Also rare that by this time, the models' wardrobe was not credited at the end of this episode. I wonder what wardrobe designer was given to them because it seemed to also pop up on the October 30, 1986 episode as well when Kyle filled in.

pannoni1:

--- Quote from: actual_retail_tice on May 16, 2021, 10:09:52 PM ---Also, I can only go on what I've seen on YouTube, tpirepguide.com, etc. but I have this theory that the producers decided to boost the budget of the showcases by quite a lot starting not too long before this episode. In this show's furniture showcase, we have a living room that has to be worth at least as much as a medium-priced car, because combined with a kiddie living room set and an electric keyboard, it comes out to over $13,000. Big bucks for 1987...there were still $6000 cars! This looks to be typical of the era; I can barely find any showcases from that time period under $10,000, and when they are, they are still much more expensive than typical furniture/trip showcases just a couple of years before.

--- End quote ---

Season 12 had quite a few sub-$5000 Showcases, but still, CBS raising their winnings cap to $50,000 and later $75,000 by this point meant that the door was open for more expensive prizes. More non-car games with prize packages above $3,000 were common as well, compared to the $1500-$3000 prize packages a few years earlier. Clock Game was the exception of course, which had sub-$2,000 prize packages until the $1,000 bonus was added over a decade later.

By this point, the SCSD win graphic had changed from the same graphic originally used on Grand Game since mid-season 12 to the Helvetica Italic font which lasted for about a year before reverting to a normal font until the "Star graphic" was introduced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version