Author Topic: Price is nominated, but...  (Read 4560 times)

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
Price is nominated, but...
« on: May 25, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
Nominations for the 48th annual Daytime Emmy awards were announced earlier today.

Price did get a nomination for Outstanding Game Show, along with Jeopardy!, WOF, LMAD and FF.

However, the hosts for Jeopardy!, WOF, FF, and LMAD were nominated, but not Drew. Instead, that 5th nomination went to Alfonso Robeiro for Catch 21.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/daytime-emmy-awards-2021-nominations-list-1234763704/

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Price is nominated, but...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »
So far as I've heard, Drew's name is never submitted for nomination, per his own wishes.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 05:19:24 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, it's a practice that Carey has stuck to beyond TPIR.  TBH, I hardly think he would win this year anyway, but I think he would've had one or two by now.  The only way he would ever collect an emmy is if he gets promoted (and I think TPIR should win this year over Jeopardy)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 11:00:58 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, it's a practice that Carey has stuck to beyond TPIR.  TBH, I hardly think he would win this year anyway, but I think he would've had one or two by now.  The only way he would ever collect an emmy is if he gets promoted (and I think TPIR should win this year over Jeopardy)

I say Jeopardy wins.....cause of Alex's passing, and game show host award probably goes to him too for same.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 11:56:21 PM »
I say Jeopardy wins.....cause of Alex's passing, and game show host award probably goes to him too for same.

I think they'll win as well.  Alex's effect probably will help.  The optimism for TPIR to win is fair since some of Jeopardy's guest hosts had a negative effect on the show (temporary).  TPIR winning would be awesome given the fact that until it happens, it was difficult to impossible to see how the show would proceed within a pandemic.  Jeopardy was easier to pull off, but TPIR made it work this season.

Of course, next year I might take a guess and say Jeopardy will win with a new host working out on the first season without Trebek, only for Price to win in 2022 (with the voters saying how they recovered to film a season which is still amazing but not as difficult as filming Season 49).

Whatever happens, so be it, but I will be shocked if Alex doesn't win

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 01:55:49 AM »
I think they'll win as well.  Alex's effect probably will help.  The optimism for TPIR to win is fair since some of Jeopardy's guest hosts had a negative effect on the show (temporary).  TPIR winning would be awesome given the fact that until it happens, it was difficult to impossible to see how the show would proceed within a pandemic.  Jeopardy was easier to pull off, but TPIR made it work this season.

Of course, next year I might take a guess and say Jeopardy will win with a new host working out on the first season without Trebek, only for Price to win in 2022 (with the voters saying how they recovered to film a season which is still amazing but not as difficult as filming Season 49).

I wonder actually as I read this, if it's possible there will be a tie, given the challenges both shows faced in different ways. I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 02:06:59 AM »
Keep in mind they only get to submit one episode for consideration, and said episode had to be submitted before the end of December. It's entirely possible they submitted a season 48 episode.

Also, while Price was certainly forced to adapt to the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, Alex Trebek was literally dying, and still hosting the show with the same amount of class he always had. Meanwhile, Drew and company just went through the motions (and the lack of an audience this season has had a noticeable effect on the quality of the show, especially since the "party" atmosphere they strive for these days isn't there).
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »

Jeopardy!'s been hurt by factors other than the guest hosts. I can't remember a season where there was this much controversy over FJ! clues, and in a single season no less.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »
Also worth noting that this is the first year since 2014 that Wheel of Fortune is nominated in the game show category again. Since then, the only nominations the show got was Pat Sajak for best host (which he hasn't won since 1998). I guess Mike Richards' takeover has really helped it.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 10:00:31 PM »
I wonder actually as I read this, if it's possible there will be a tie, given the challenges both shows faced in different ways. I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

I don't know about daytime Emmys, but the primetime ones have had a rule for years, which was only recently made public, that most categories cannot have ties. The only ones that can are ones where each entry gets a separate "yes or no" vote.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 11:19:05 PM »
I don't know about daytime Emmys, but the primetime ones have had a rule for years, which was only recently made public, that most categories cannot have ties. The only ones that can are ones where each entry gets a separate "yes or no" vote.

At the 2011 Daytime Emmys, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune tied for best game show. That was probably only because that was the same year Pat and Alex got the Lifetime Achievement Award, though. I believe that was also the only year Wheel won that category.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 08:05:43 PM »
At the 2011 Daytime Emmys, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune tied for best game show. That was probably only because that was the same year Pat and Alex got the Lifetime Achievement Award, though. I believe that was also the only year Wheel won that category.

That is correct.  While surprising, it's not really a shocker either.  Given the competition with the most outstanding host and gameshow categories, despite success and longevity, those totals are pretty accurate