Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Five  (Read 17458 times)

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Five
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 08:42:21 AM »
On the June 2 episodes: To borrow a phrase from another game show, Chris Redd and Dr. Oz, you are the weakest links!

Given the domination of Michelle and Rachel in the first half of the first show, there was time for an explanation of the Winners’ Circle rules. What a great clue for Things in a Box, especially for a SNL alum: “Justin Timberlake’s private parts”. I immediately said “The Titanic” for Things That Sink. Congrats to Michelle on the $50K win, and she passed and came back to win.

And more congrats to Brad; FANTASTIC clue for Things That Are Hungry: “A board game hippo”. $50K for you!

Did Oprah pay for all of the name mentions in the second half hour?

And Lindsey: You get $50K (and a trip to St. Lucia)! Very good clues for Types of News: “Daily” & “The Nightly”. All I could think of before they got it was “Bad”.

I immediately thought of “stocks" and "baseball cards" for Things That Are Traded.

Funny Weakest Link quote, and impressed with the $50k clue
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 05:04:58 PM »
Funny Weakest Link quote, and impressed with the $50k clue
Thanks. And that hippo clue was really good.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 10:35:03 PM »
The presence of Mehmet Oz is how a show can guarantee I will not watch.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »
The presence of Mehmet Oz is how a show can guarantee I will not watch.

I unfortunately have not had much time to watch any of the Summer Fun & Games so far. What's wrong with Dr. Oz?
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 11:31:35 AM »
I unfortunately have not had much time to watch any of the Summer Fun & Games so far. What's wrong with Dr. Oz?

So many things.

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »
I didn't think Dr. Oz was that bad, but certainly not one of the better players. He was a little slow but his clues weren't all that bad. Chris Redd on the other hand, was "not ready for primetime" as they say. I'm not sure the "Moan" clue that Strahan was alluding to would have helped, probably just added more confusion. Also interesting that they accepted "argument" for "arguing" but not "juggling" for "juggler". Though argument was accepted after many many clues and guesses.

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 02:00:36 PM »
"$100,000 Pyramid" will not be airing tonight. June 9th.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 10:01:47 PM »
On the July 16th episode: Congratulations to Nathan for becoming the first $150,000 winner of the season. What a fantastic, surprising, and suspenseful $100K win at the end! 

And what a great first half-hour. Two great players. Two 21-21 ties. (Although, as a judge, I’m currently thinking I would have cuckooed the “three names” clue given for Sarah Jessica Parker. I didn’t think that giving the number of words in a correct response was allowed.)

I also did not expect such a challenging subject for $50K (and not even $100K): Things That Are Diverse. Great clues from Carson (after reasonably pausing to think): “College campus populations” & “The United Nations”, but definite props to Alex Moffat for coming up with the important word. Now that was a well-earned win! I thought of “movie corn” for Things You Pop. Nice one with “Shakespeare’s Globe” for Types of Theaters.   

Under the pressure of time, the first thing that came to mind for Things You Pull Off was “a scab”. I know; not the best clue. Any excellent ones out there?

Good clue for Things That Are Weak: “an old man’s arms”. May I add “watered-down tea”? And the key words were all that were needed in the final Winner's Circle round: "water" in Water Sports (hmmm....) and "makeup" for People Who Wear Makeup (understandable - I said "clowns").

(And I agree: Creepy is a tough word to get.)

Well. Quite a good day today.  Both Mystery 7s of the hour were won, as well as over $200,000.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:07:30 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 10:09:17 PM »
Two ties happened in tonight's first game, with Michael claiming that it was the first time in the current version of Pyramid that came down to the clock to break the tie in the main game.

Nathan also did extraordinarily well in the second game with the two cast members from the recently concluded FX drama Pose by taking home $150,000 and a trip to Antigua.

From the Alex Moffat vs. Michelle Collins games:

Things at a Gym: dumbbells, treadmills, trainers
Types of Theaters: movie, broadway, improv
Things a Dentist uses: drill, toothbrush, needles
Things you tackle: a football player, a hard assignment at school, a home improvement project

From the Dominique Jackson vs. Indya Moore games:

Things you put on Pancakes: slices of fruit, syrup, butter
Things that are weak: an elderly person’s arm, an abandoned puppy, an injured bird
Fast Food Restaurants: Wendy’s, Dairy Queen, Sonic
People who wear Makeup: models, drag queens, actors

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 10:17:50 PM »
Things you tackle: a football player, a hard assignment at school, a home improvement project
Buzz!  Too descriptive/prepositional phrase. (Sorry. :) )

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »
Foot: Toes, Heel, Nails, Corn, Callous
Pop: Balloon, Pimple, Champagne Cork, Orville Redenbacher's Corn
Soup: Chicken Noodle, Vegetable, Minestrone, Alphabet
Dentist: His drill, His pliers, His cavity filler
Alligator: "I'm the reptile that lives in Florida", "You can find me in a swamp or bayou".
Pancakes: Maple Syrup, Butter, Blueberries
Fast Food: McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's
Makeup: Actors, Clowns, Drag Queens, Mimes

Total cash won: $207,500; Season Total: $490,000
Two 21-21 Ties in the same half hour. Its a shame that there was NO cash bonus for it.
First $100,000 win, and first $150,000 winner.
I would have said "Reader's _____" for "Digest".
"What A Dentist Uses" was the same category that nailed Earl Holliman.
"People Who Wear Makeup" was the same category that nailed Henry Polic.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 10:21:39 PM »
Buzz!  Too descriptive/prepositional phrase. (Sorry. :) )

Me and those traps I get myself into. :oldlol: But still an impressive night overall for the show as both Mystery 7 trips were also won too.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 11:00:59 PM »
Under the pressure of time, the first thing that came to mind for Things You Pull Off was “a scab”. I know; not the best clue. Any excellent ones out there?

Would these work maybe: A Band-Aid, A Freeway, A Last-Second Win
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 11:19:34 PM »
Would these work maybe: A Band-Aid, A Freeway, A Last-Second Win
Thanks for the contribution. Much better than mine I'd say. :)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2021, 10:00:41 PM »
On the June 23rd episode: Laura was a great player. A shame about Things With Arrows. My first thought was “a quiver”, and if needed I had other clues. For Things With Salt, I came up with “a pretzel” and “the ocean” right away.

“I’m a famous woman and I have a TV show”. Judge Judy?? Wow!

Congratulations to Greg on his $50K win (and his Mystery 7 win). I got worried after he spent so much time on What an Aisle Might Say. Things That Are Sticky? How about “Scotch tape”? And I’m old school: I thought of "Cher" right away for People With Long Hair.

Speaking of old school: Did you notice that after Greg’s Winner’s Circle win the dollar amounts for each subject were left in the displays? I liked seeing that. Old school! 😊

Great get by Jack in the second half-hour maingame with “strict”.

I don’t know if my partner would have gotten Instant Things with my clue of “Sanka coffee”. A dated reference. Any excellent ones out there? “Carnation’s breakfast”? (Who remembers the commercials? 😊 )  And I would have said “a McDonald’s SIGN” for Things With Arches, not just “McDonald’s”. But kudos for coming up with “Saint Louis” as well. 

The contestant just ran out of time on Things People Miss. Adding "faraway" to her clues ("loved ones") was a good idea, and Michael's "deceased" was also quite good. I came up with "a bowling ball" for Things in an Alley, and "displayed books" for Things on Shelves. Great clues from the contestant for those ("a stray cat", "a garbage can", "books", and something else I couldn't understand).

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 10:11:21 PM by GameShowKid »