Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Five  (Read 17668 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Five
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »
Things there are four of: Marx Brothers, Beatles, seasons, square sides, rectangle sides
Things you block: Football players, pop-up ads, hockey shots, tic tac toe players, a Whew! charger
Things that are exposed: A Playboy Bunny's body, film pictures, an unsecure account
Things you deflate: An overheated economy, an overstuffed balloon, an ego
Things you make a wish on: A Disney star, a genie's lamp, a New Year's resolution, a birthday cake and candles, the Trevi fountain
Some great clues there! Square sides? Rectangle sides? Fantastic!

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
And how about “quartet members” for Things There Are Four Of?

That *might* get buzzed. They did, after all, buzz the word "bare" for "Things that are Exposed"; so they might consider "quartet" synonymous enough with "four".

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2021, 06:29:40 PM »
I came up with creative clues for "Things There are Four Of:"

Audi Rings, Christmas' Calling Birds, The Apocalypse's Horsemen, A Square's Sides, Food Groups
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »
I wonder if "A turkey bone" would've done it for things you wish on.

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2021, 02:05:44 PM »
Some strict rulings here. I can probably see "bare breasts", it's redundant/synonym. Don't get seventies or nineties being illegal for eighties. Tessitore completely blew the last WC, the only things "a falling star" and "a genie" have in common are wishing. Though the other guy probably stayed on "genie" for too long, should've went back to the star. I'd say "Beatles members" rather than just "Beatles". "Tom Brady's football" for deflated if they're a football fan.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2021, 09:22:40 PM »
I came up with creative clues for "Things There are Four Of:"

Audi Rings, Christmas' Calling Birds, The Apocalypse's Horsemen, A Square's Sides, Food Groups
Great clues there. And you went old school with the four food groups. :)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2021, 10:01:32 PM »
On the August 18th episode: Well, at least we got a $100K try. And both trips offered were won.

Congratulations to Eric on his $50K win. I was surprised that he and Ginger Zee spent more time getting Other Names for Marijuana than Things That Are Natural.

Along with “Carrot Top’s hair”, I might have said “breakfast juice” or just “a carrot” for Things That Are Orange. And how about “1950s hair” or “John Travolta’s hair” for Greasy Things? “Pout” immediately came to mind for Things You Do With Your Lips.

I was quite impressed with how well Alesandra and Dascha did with the middle school vocabulary words in the second maingame: hibernate, equator, binoculars, utensil, blindfold, turbulence, ambidextrous.

The second half hour was a struggle to watch. I have certainly seen far better celebrity players. Was one of the housewives playing "Jeopardy!" in her mind?? She phrased her first responses in question form. How about 13-12 for a final maingame score? How about it again?? I was astonished seeing Simon actually win his Mystery 7 trip.

I would have used simpler clues like “white”, “whole wheat”, “pumpernickel”, and “rye” right away for Types of Bread; I saw no need for “ones” to be added this time. And especially with the show airing on ABC, I thought of “Disney Dwarves” immediately for Things There Are Seven Of.

I was not astonished seeing just $4500 won in the last Winner’s Circle round. I instantly came up with "a long rose" for Things With Stems, and "your front door" and "a safe" for Things You Lock. Any excellent clues out there? And Things in December was a bit of a challenge. Would "thirty-one days" be buzzed?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:11:20 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2021, 10:02:42 PM »
On the August 25th episode: Not too bad. A $50K win. A Mystery 7 win. A $100K try. But, did they actually bleep the word “penis”? 😊

Some great clues given in the first (and winning) Winner’s Circle round, and great thinking from the celebrity. I would have added “unwanted” right away to “old documents” for Things You Shred. And how about “a punctured tire” for Things That Are Flat? 

Would “Onward Christian…” have helped with “soldiers”?

Things That Are Aged? A tough one. I came up with “Tabasco sauce”. Maybe “stored Tabasco sauce” or “stored cheese”? “Sports Illustrated” was fantastic for Magazines. It has been a while since the $1000 subject has been passed.

In the third maingame: Hmmm…. should the clue of “YOU’re welcome” for “Thank YOU” have been cuckooed?

I feel a bit bad for Brandon. He gave very good clues in his first Winner’s Circle round, including several correct countries for Things in South America, “an alarm clock” and “rising sun” for Things That Wake You Up, and “my (intimate) diary” for Personal Things (Private). His celebrity partner did not come through. I immediately thought of “Chase” and “Wells Fargo” for Types of Banks.

What do you know? The first definition of "rinse" is "to wash (something) with clean water...". I probably would have been buzzed on Things You Rinse as well. And oh! NOW I think of "stained glass (ones)" for Types of Windows. :-)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:11:02 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
On the August 25th episode: Not too bad. A $50K win. A Mystery 7 win. A $100K try. But, did they actually bleep the word “penis”? 😊

I honestly thought they bleeped "Dick" (for the clue to Clark), even though the context was clearly the shortened name for Richard. I've been on several newsgroups and they will censor (or "hold for moderation") if you use the word dick, even if you're using it as the man's name.

As far as the Winner's Circle:

* "Magazines" – I wonder if the receiver got thrown off with the clue "People" (since you obviously couldn't say People Magazine), but then you say "Time," "Newsweek," "Sports Illustrated," etc., and then the little light bulb might have gone off.

* "Things In South America" – beautiful women, Colombian coffee, the Amazon rainforest, Rio De Janerio, summertime Christmases (because remember that it's early summer in December that far south) ... a lot of other possibilities than just names of countries. (Of course, that's in hindsight.)

* "Banks" – Uncle Phil's family, piggy, Wells Fargo, Chase-Manhattan, your local Farmer's Savings, river ... several other possibilities.

Brian

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2021, 04:15:00 PM »
I honestly thought they bleeped "Dick" (for the clue to Clark), even though the context was clearly the shortened name for Richard. I've been on several newsgroups and they will censor (or "hold for moderation") if you use the word dick, even if you're using it as the man's name.
I just watched that segment again. The category was First Names of Famous Game Show Hosts and "Dick" was the last one. The contestant said "Clark" and then "penis", which was bleeped. I really don't understand why; it's the biological name of a body part. 

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2021, 10:00:56 PM »
On the September 1st episode: Another $100K try. Nice.

First Winner’s Circle round: I agree with Strahan: “Those weren’t easy.” I might have emphasized the last “A” in my clues for States That End With “A”. For Things In A Pipe “Alaskan oil” was good; I thought of “Santa’s tobacco”. And I’m old school; my first clue for Famous Women Named Kate was “Hepburn”. “Middleton” was much better.

I liked the timing of Strahan's mentioning that the Mystery 7 was still in play during the second maingame. Dick Clark did that often in such a situation. And I can’t believe an experienced player like Kathy Najimy said “not a bicycle” for “A Tricycle”. Definite cuckoo.

How about “a piggy bank” along with “a slot machine” for Things You Put Coins Into? And I also thought of “Hubbard” to go along with “Theresa” for Famous Mothers. Things That Are Precious? “Gems” came to my mind as well, as did “memories” and “a baby”.

Speaking of old school, I was reminded of Bill Cullen as the second half-hour began. The celebrities were already seated when introduced. Good to see Gilbert Gottfried again; it has been a while for me.

A $50K win! Great clues for Things In A Basket; I added “carried eggs”. But Types of Sleep as an actual subject?

I would not have started off the clues with "your" for Office Supplies. I think that threw Gottfried off right away. Generic ones like "staples", "copy paper" and "printer ink" would have worked better. How about "Madrid" for Things In Spain and "Daffy Donald Howard" (yes, that quickly) for Famous Ducks? And I had to think a bit for Famous Couples (Duos); "Sonny and Cher" was great; my "Martin and Lewis" was not.

Any superb clues out there? :) 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 10:11:18 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2021, 11:11:34 PM »
A heartbreaker to end the first half maingame with Kathy giving an illegal clue on the first word in the Mystery 7 set.

Things you put coins into- piggy bank, vending machine, slot machine, laundromat washing machine
Famous mothers: Teresa, Goose, Hubbard, Queen Elizabeth, Kris Jenner
Things in a pipe- Alaskan oil, tobacco, marijuana, crack, a clog
Things in Spain- Madrid, Barcelona, Running of the Bulls, paella
Famous couples (duos): Sonny and Cher, Jay-Z and Beyonce, Barack and Michelle Obama, Donny and Marie, Lucy and Ricky, Penn and Teller, Siskel and Ebert

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2021, 10:03:46 PM »
On the September 15th episode: A $50K win! A $100K try! Both Mystery 7 trips won! Not too bad.

Gyrate. Tough word.

Excellent clues for the $50K win, including “linoleum floors” and “mosaics” for Things With Tiles, “Dorothy’s sky” and “gay pride flags”, and “a dunce” (with lots of head nodding) for People Who Wear Hats. Mario Cantone’s first Winner’s Circle triumph!

Wow. Getting the names of celebrities when all that’s needed is the last name is much easier. 😊

As it should be, the actual $100K pyramid was tougher. Good thinking to say “sexy, yummy underpants” along with just “food” for Things That Are Edible. I immediately came up with “your wares” for Things You Display. Things You Put Out was the stopper. I liked Strahan’s “a pastured horse”. OHHHHHH! Now I think of “an unwanted fire”! Dang! Too late.

Nice old school references today: Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters for “20/20”, and Maryann and… for “Ginger”. And again, “penis” was bleeped.

Things With Extensions? How about “a short electrical cord”? Any other good clues out there (I did like "overdue paper deadlines")? And how about for Things You Spy On? Types of Questions? (Actual questions are apparently not allowed.)  Once again, after some thought: "multiple choice", "true/false", "short answer".

I thought of “Jerry Seinfeld’s comedy” for Things You Do Standing Up, but “a man’s urination” and “paddle boarding” were maybe a little bit better. And I would have said "a butterfly's wings" and "a lovestruck" or "nervous heart" for Things That Flutter.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:12:07 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »
Things with extensions: a deadline, your term paper, your thinning hair
Things you display: your diploma,
Things you put out: A fire, a cigarette, a plate of hors d'oeurves
Things you spy on: Your neighbors, the enemy,
Types of questions: Multiple choice, true or false, rhetorical, riddles
Things you do standing up: Wait in line, a comedy act, give a speech, salute the flag

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2021, 01:13:06 AM »
Things with extensions: a deadline, your term paper, your thinning hair
Things you display: your diploma,
Things you put out: A fire, a cigarette, a plate of hors d'oeurves
Things you spy on: Your neighbors, the enemy,
Types of questions: Multiple choice, true or false, rhetorical, riddles
Things you do standing up: Wait in line, a comedy act, give a speech, salute the flag

Good ones there. May I add "finished" to "a cigarette"? And I'm not sure if "wait in line" would be accepted: prepositional phrase.